D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

peterka99

First Post
"Bonjour," Nia said in her Carib accent as she met him. "I was beginning to tink you'd given up."

Etienne smiled and answered:

"Milady, I would never give up admiring your fair eyes. Especially when they belong to such a mysterious woman."

And more softly, looking for eavesdroppers:

" I'll be direct. I met Du Tourbillon and overheard your conversation. The Spaniard and yourself are after a treasure. La Gloriosa. I travel the World looking for such Saga noteworthy locations. I'll never give up on such a scoop. I smell mysteries leagues away...

No. I did not run away. I just replenished my energy with a little canoe ride. And got confirmation my magical hide may help you with your curse. Can you just tell me more about the missing link between the sunken ship and this mysterious curse ?"

Last edited:

Kid hunkered down in his seat, made himself small. He tensed. The adults weren’t getting along, and he didn’t like it. The boy reached for the rum and took a long swig straight from the bottle. His swallowing could be heard in the intervening silence. He remained seated but spoke up, addressing Katerina. "Aww, Kat, don’t be like that. I see the doubt in yer eyes. Maybe I shoulda tol' you it were cap'n ye'd be treatin' wit'. If there's fault, it're mine. I didna think you knew him, an' cain't be too careful. 'Specially not wit' eavesdroppers all 'round. Saw one jess on me way ter find ya at the Colonial, funny looking sort he were. Watching you, an' had a gris gris bag on 'im. Ran 'im off when I came round the bend." Kid once again tried but failed spectacularly to emulate James's proper English, with predictably laughable results. Too, the rum kicked in and he was unsteady on his feet.

The youth reached in his pocket and took out the watch and chain. Getting up from the table, Kid crossed the room and handed the gold timepiece to Barrington. He gave up on proper English, reverting instead to his native patois. ”It’s yers, cap’n. Don’t be mad. S’brought me luck.” He stayed by Barrington’s side, but turned and offered to Kat, ”I want in. The crew knows me. You know I kin climb an’ rig. But there’s more. Here, wait.” Kid dug out the Aztec coin. He kept the coin in the palm of his brown hand and crossed to the opposite side of the room to show Katerina. ”I took it, see. I cain’t gib it up, neither. S’gotta go back to La Gloriosa. I know, ‘cause it whispers ter me at night. An’ I feel it pressin’ on me heart somethin’ fierce, like a boulder. Please, Kat. I cain't swim, it's gotta go down ter the depths, an' I'm scared.” The boy looked up at her. ”But take Jim, too. He’s smart, an’ done me in good stead today, feedin’ me an’ showin’ me a thing’re two. He's family ter me, jess like you, Lady Kat.”

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
So you are the one with a decision. Either you are asking to be on the crew for the right reasons, or you are not. Once you decide that then the armamento situation will take care of itself."

When Kid re-presents the watch, Barrington's attention is drawn away from the Captain. Here is someone undertaking trust, and Jim appreciates it. He looks at Kid, narrowing his eyes and piercing into the boy's soul, before he laughs aloud, tossing his head back. A warm, hearty laugh with no hints at cruelty or resentment. "Thank you, lad," he says, re-affixing the timepiece to his waistcoat. "I am pleased, with you, for this. You have quick fingers," he adds, genuinely impressed. He turns to Kat: "This one will serve you well."

"My decision is made, Captain: this meeting tells you I desire to serve on your crew. When you wished I were fighting alongside you, that is what I was doing in the hills surrounding the cabin. I kept a rifle as souvenir from one of the snipers I dealt with in the fight with the shapechanger.

"Truthfully, my reasons for finding La Gloriosa involve certain papers aboard the ship. Documents were lost that pertain both to my personal scientific researches and to Spanish intentions against the governments of this world. Those specific documents motivate my pursuit: the papers are of no value to you, but mean much to me. The promise of first access to them is what I seek.

"On such terms, I remain available. Accept me as one of your officers and direct me where my gifts will find their best employment."

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Katerina took a long moment of thought, in which it was not clear how she would respond. Finally, she broke into a wide smile. "Welcome to the crew Jim," she said, as she extended her hand, spit it in and offered it to Barrington. "Mierda we've had a rough start but let us put that behind us. I am sure we can decide together where you would like to work and where you would fit in, you should tell me what you desire in this regard. And also tell me what price we owe for the armamentos, so we can take care of that."

She pushed her long, untamed hair off her youthful face, a face which was much more relaxed than a moment ago. "Si, last night was a wild ruckus, I do appreciate you being there. We had quite the band of marauders," she laughed heartily. "So I suppose I owe you a drink for saving our asnos. I can owe you one.

Now, as for your terms, thank you for sharing your personal business. You understand of course why I must ensure that this mission succeeds and that our core crew has the right reasons for joining. Our benefactor has asked for first rights to some books and is sending along his man to ensure this but I imagine what you are looking for is different than what he is looking for. So to this, yes, I do agree."

She rose from the table to go over to Kid, and Bella was there too happily gnawing on the lime rind. Kat scratched the tiny monkey behind her ear before standing tall in front of Kid, who was still standing with the coin in his hand and sad look on his face. She crouched before him to get a look at the old, dulled coin. Kat's voice lowered, and softened, like a mother's voice perhaps? "Maldita sea chico, what have you done now?" She shook her head, her own plaintive‎ look marring her young and usually carefree expression. She wrapped her hand over his, closing the coin within his own hand, and looked him deep in the eyes. "Si, you will come with us and we will break your curse together. This I promise you." Her voice grew more serious. "But you will work with the crew and you will not steal anything from the officers! Si?" She raised an eyebrow waiting for an answer. "Perhaps I will have you stay with me and do my bidding. we shall see..."

OOC: Apologies for the bad writing, this is not my best post but I am so exhausted and busy here at home, yet I wanted to get the post up! I don't mean to jump over anyone's response so [MENTION=1727]kobold[/MENTION]Stew and [MENTION=11146]CanadienneBacon[/MENTION] please respond freely as you would and I will answer you both in return.

Last edited:

[section] Kid launched himself at Kat. Lanky brown arms again wrapped about her mid-section. She felt his boy's body vibrate with relief and excitement, both. "Cors, Kit Kat. Promise. No thievin'. Not from tha' crew."

Kid withdrew from his embrace with Katerina and looked happily over at Barrington. The lad's face was lit with joy. "We're goin' sailin', cap'n!" [/section]

OOC: Outfreakin' standing! Well done, [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] and [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION].

Fenris

Adventurer
D'avard eyes Old Zef and Caillou with wary predatory eyes glistening with malice in the shadows of the candlelight basement. The faint smell of soap suds from the laundry upstairs wafts thru the air. "Ah, that's the fancy term landsmen use, isn't it? Lycanthropy," he growls the word, sounding it out. "I didn't contract nothing. It was a gift bestowed by Cap'n for my many years of service to his ship and crew. He said no man would be able to bring us down after we received the gift...guess it's true since it took a dwarf and a bird-freak." Laughing bitterly, D'avard stops his struggling against the ropes, realizing he is well and truly bound.

Zef smiled ruefully. "Ah poor lad, tripped up be a grammatical loophole. I guess yer Cap'n needs be aworkin' on his syntax, lestways in English. Anyway it the tattoo part of the bewitchment, or it is just a badge of rank and honor having received this "gift"? Can you pass it on or merely the Cap'n?" Zef's curiosity of how things work is obviously taking over.

Quickleaf

Legend
Zef smiled ruefully. "Ah poor lad, tripped up be a grammatical loophole. I guess yer Cap'n needs be aworkin' on his syntax, lestways in English. Anyway it the tattoo part of the bewitchment, or it is just a badge of rank and honor having received this "gift"? Can you pass it on or merely the Cap'n?" Zef's curiosity of how things work is obviously taking over.

The bound corsair hangs his head. His attempts at escape thwarted by Zef's mending spell, and with the rest of his band scattered elsewhere in Nassau, D'avard growls softly under his breath. "Cap'n is the only one who can bestow the Gift." He glares, looking up thru his brows, "Maybe he decides to give it to you, give you a real set of teeth, eh dwarf? Maybe that pretty lady captain of yours?"

Fenris

Adventurer
The bound corsair hangs his head. His attempts at escape thwarted by Zef's mending spell, and with the rest of his band scattered elsewhere in Nassau, D'avard growls softly under his breath. "Cap'n is the only one who can bestow the Gift." He glares, looking up thru his brows, "Maybe he decides to give it to you, give you a real set of teeth, eh dwarf? Maybe that pretty lady captain of yours?"

Old Zef lets out a barking laugh. "Oh yes, that is all she needs, fangs and claws. She will rule the seas one day, providing that gift would bring it about that much faster. Hell she would rule the entire Caribbean with that. But she would not take it, she does not need it. I am tempted I must say, not for the power but the knowledge. For discovering how it works. It does tempt me I must say. The power of the animal world, coupled with the intellect of sentience. Of course that is as long as it doesn't turn me into a lul like you. But maybe you started that way eh?" grins the old dwarf maliciously.

Shayuri

First Post
No. I did not run away. I just replenished my energy with a little canoe ride. And got confirmation my magical hide may help you with your curse. Can you just tell me more about the missing link between the sunken ship and this mysterious curse ?"

"None," was Nia's reply. "De curse dis skin relates to is on anudda ship entire. De ship we'll be usin' to get to the sunken ship."

She regards Etienne for a moment with her blank silvery eyes.

"What have you learned of de skin?"

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Katerina took a long moment of thought, in which it was not clear how she would respond. Finally, she broke into a wide smile. "Welcome to the crew Jim," she said, as she extended her hand, spit it in and offered it to Barrington. "Mierda we've had a rough start but let us put that behind us. I am sure we can decide together where you would like to work and where you would fit in, you should tell me what you desire in this regard. And also tell me what price we owe for the armamentos, so we can take care of that."

Barrington is satisfied, but realizes that negotiations must still continue. "The demiculverins are 400, funds I would need immediately, Captain, if I am to discharge all the obligations incurred in securing them. As for where I am best able to serve, again, Captain, I must suggest this is your decision. I need to be in a place where you will trust me and not second-guess my decisions. I also do not know what crew you have already. I am skilled as Sailing Master or as your Gunner. While I have served as Quartermaster for others, I do not feel I yet have your confidence nor that of the crew, and it would not be fair to them for me to serve in such a capacity."

She pushed her long, untamed hair off her youthful face, a face which was much more relaxed than a moment ago. "Si, last night was a wild ruckus, I do appreciate you being there. We had quite the band of marauders," she laughed heartily. "So I suppose I owe you a drink for saving our asnos. I can owe you one.

"I do not keep tallies of such things, Captain. But thank you." He decides to risk a small joke, "Besides, I'd be a sot if we established this as your means of thanking me for my service."

Now, as for your terms, thank you for sharing your personal business. You understand of course why I must ensure that this mission succeeds and that our core crew has the right reasons for joining. Our benefactor has asked for first rights to some books and is sending along his man to ensure this but I imagine what you are looking for is different than what he is looking for. So to this, yes, I do agree."

"I am happy to ensure that your -- I guess now 'our' -- benefactor has access to any papers desired after I have made my preliminary search for what I require."

Last edited:

Remove ads