Sword & Sorcery Studios to publish Warcraft D20

Terraism

Explorer
Hadn't Wizards brought this up a *long* time ago? I'd wondered where it went.

[Read release.] Ah, I see now. Very nice. Apparently that's what happens to back-burner projects when you let go of your creative staff, hm?

Zappo

Explorer
Oooooooooh. I'm currently running a serious Planescape campaign and a beer'n'pretzels Dragonlance campaign. Maybe with this, I could finally quit the beer'n'pretzels Dragonlance campaign, which I really only do because the players like it, and start a beer'n'pretzels Warcraft campaign. :D

SemperJase

First Post
Terraism said:
Ah, I see now. Very nice. Apparently that's what happens to back-burner projects when you let go of your creative staff, hm?

I seem to recall reading that licensed material generally doesn't make enough profits to pay the fees. Some notable exceptions would be the mega-brands (i.e. Harry Potter and Star Wars).

I would bet that WotC/Hasbro looked at Warcraft and figured it wouldn't pay off. Warcraft may be big in the computer game field, but that doesn't readily translate into the RPG field.

I bet RyanD would know something about this.

I doubt very much it had anything to do with their creative staff layoffs when they could just as easily use contracted help for development.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Personally, I'm very excited for the Warcraft III RPG, just because the setting is so different from the typical sort... Containing stuff like noble, shamanistic orcs (different from the mindless, chaotic evil brutes they are in most settings), feral dwarves who ride griffons, cowardly and arrogant High Elves, tribes of nomadic Taurens (basically minotaurs) who revere Nature, etc.

The Warcraft Universe definately intruiges me, and I've already decided that I plan on picking an orc warrior as my PC. :D

Remove ads