D&D 5E Low Level Wizards Really Do Suck in 5E

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
Further, dex was important to to wizards to help them stay alive, so it wasn't unusual to have an attack adjustment with missile weapons as a wizard.
You're assuming that you got to place your stats.

You're implying that magic user players typically made a decision of some sort to get a higher dex on their character. While it wouldn't have to be placement, the game where you imply something but don't specify, then play 'gotcha' if someone doesn't correctly read your mind when they reply doesn't really work well when someone calls you out on it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You're implying that magic user players typically made a decision of some sort to get a higher dex on their character. While it wouldn't have to be placement, the game where you imply something but don't specify, then play 'gotcha' if someone doesn't correctly read your mind when they reply doesn't really work well when someone calls you out on it.

I made no such implication whatsoever. I only said that it was not unusual for wizards to have a dex bonus to hit with missile weapons. If you read more into that statement than was actually there, you're responsible for any errors caused by your assumptions.

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
I made no such implication whatsoever. I only said that it was not unusual for wizards to have a dex bonus to hit with missile weapons. If you read more into that statement than was actually there, you're responsible for any errors caused by your assumptions.

No, this is simply untrue. You explicitly stated that the reason magic users would have a high dex is that "dex was important to to wizards to help them stay alive", not random chance. Reading exactly what you wrote is not an error caused by assumptions.

Stalker0

Legend
I still fail to see how comparing 5e wizards to 1e ones makes a bit of difference to this argument....considering monsters, casters, and noncasters have all had radical differences since that time.

The simply question is....are 5e wizards capable of equivalent contribution to the campaign at 1st - 3rd level compared to a fighter? In my viewpoint, the answer is an immediate yes.

Are they physically weaker than a fighter? Of course. So weak that a sneeze blows them away? Not anymore, they are fragile, but not glass like they used to be, but they still need protection from that front line.

Are their spells effective? Heck yeah. Spells like sleep are still rock solid, just not the "single handily win the fight with one spell". But they can still drop more orcs than a 1st level fighter could ever dream in 1 round. Their cantrips provide staying power, allowing them to contribute well all day long.

Can they contribute out of combat? They have knowledges, utility cantrips, and rituals. Doing just fine from what I can see.

So what's the real problem here?

Eis

Explorer
I'd really like to hear the tale of the dad who plays a wizard and never casts spells please

like...what does the character actually do? and what do the other players say? and does dad play any other classes? and do they cast spells? its a pretty fascinating way to play

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'd really like to hear the tale of the dad who plays a wizard and never casts spells please

like...what does the character actually do? and what do the other players say? and does dad play any other classes? and do they cast spells? its a pretty fascinating way to play
It's a sad tale of someone who doesn't know how to play a wizard.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases