Thayan slaver PC idea

JPL

Adventurer
Inspired by reading about the Thayan slaver prestige class in "The Unapproachable East"...

He's human...class depends on the PrC requirements. I could see a fighter/thief.

In the beginning, play him as a Lawful Neutral who is out to make enough money to return to Thay and buy him a whole bunch of pretty women. Maybe he's never really put much thought into the morality of it --- in Thay, the Red Wizards are on top, the slaves are on bottom, and all a guy in the middle can do is try to climb his way up to the upper-middle.

He's maxed out in Intimidate, and he doesn't like the way the other PCs kill so many perfectly good humanoids --- slow minds and strong backs are worth money. He won't tolerate needless cruelty towards his property --- it's wasteful, it's unprofessional, and it leads to discontent and rebellion. Now, cruelty with a purpose? That's a different story...

But what happens if a man like this spends a little time captured by the mind flayers or drow? He might just see the light and reform...

Anyway...might be interesting...

Xarlen

First Post
Also, you don't want people to destroy the property. Slaves are expensive.

Where'd you find information on it, though?

ANd, does it annoy anyone else that there seems to be no good crunchy Thayan stuff? No necromancer stuff, no good, yummy undead? Or Resheamen Witch PrC?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Well, Xarlen, I think the Hathrans from FRCS are supposed to be Rashemi witches, but I don't really see them as such.
And as for the Thayan necromancer, a Red Wizard specialized in necromancy (with a few levels of pale master from Tome and Blood) would probably suffice. Necros with spell power are very dangerous.

Demiurge out.

Xarlen

First Post
demiurge1138 said:

And as for the Thayan necromancer, a Red Wizard specialized in necromancy (with a few levels of pale master from Tome and Blood) would probably suffice. Necros with spell power are very dangerous.

Demiurge out.

Yes, but no monsters created by the Thayans in the book?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Yes, that is a shame. But Monsters of Faerun have chosen ones, darkenbeasts, dread warriors, bonebats and Thayan golems. WOTC probably figured it didn't need to do any more.

Demiurge out.

JPL

Adventurer
Xarlen said:
Also, you don't want people to destroy the property. Slaves are expensive.

Where'd you find information on it, though?

Well, the Unapproachable East should be chock full of Thay goodness.

Until then, Lords of Darkness has the full skinny on the Red Wizards. Maybe this guy came over to wherever the campaign starts to live in one of those new Thay embassies...

I figure this guy would unconsciously treat other people, especially servants, as slaves. He'd be like some Southerners before the Civil War --- not evil, but very much a product of an evil institution.

JPL

Adventurer
Just read the table of contents on the news page, that's all. I don't have an advance copy or anything...for all I know, the Thayan slaver PrC might be restricted to evil characters.

Which is why Rule Zero is the one rule to rule them all.

But I was inspired to whip out the FRCS for the first time in a month or two...and I was reminded how much I like the new Red Wizards.

That Red Wizard enclave in Lords of Darkness would be an interesting base of operations for a PC group...maybe a group of neutrals or a mixed-alignment party. From their native Thay, they end up in a strange new land with some very different ideas about freedom and justice. A slaver, an apprentice Red Wizard, maybe one of those monks of Kossuth, a cleric of Azuth...they're not the good guys, but they're probably the closest thing in this enclave. And good can be just as seductive as evil...

Remove ads