Thayan slaver PC idea

Xarlen

First Post
Good can be just as evil. ;)

Yeah, a Thayan Knight, and somesuch. :)

I thought you might have found the PrC on some secluded section of the WotC site. Okay.

Actually, that sounds pretty Fun. I would love to play in a good ol' Realms game with a spin.

JPL

Adventurer
Ever read the comic "Thunderbolts"?

A bunch of bad guys put on new outfits and pass themselves off as good guys so they can conquer the world.

Good guys, after all, have it easy. They get the girls and the money and the medals. People trust them. People love them.

Thing is...each of these career criminals is in it for different reasons. And some of them start to like being heroes. And on the brink of world domination...they switch sides.

After 75 issues, even Baron Zemo, the criminal mastermind, has seen the light...sort of...and wants to save the world. By conquering it.

Anyway...great reading, and great inspiration for a game where bad guys are thrust into the role of good guys.

Xarlen

First Post
That's a very tempting thing for my Hero game. Oo. New villains. :D

Evil isn't always Pure Evil. And Good isn't always pure good.

For instance, imagine a guy who wants to not destroy the world, but to change it. Because he sees a lot of things wrong with it, and when he shapes the world, they will be fixed.

This is a very Good goal. But what if what he wants, or sees wrong, is not exactly 'Good'?

And, another thing that makes Villains more real, is the fact that they hold things above their goals. Honor, respect, that sort of thing.

Who is the better villain, the one that is nearly zealotous in his methods, in his actions and goals, or one who does this: "Wow. You know, even though I want to rip you apart, even if I hate you all to the depths of my soul... What you just did, I respect. Take a breather. Drink a potion."

I think a party can respect a villain like that. Because they hold things to be more important; doing the good thing, fighting the good fight, because it IS the good fight, and they can see that the same goes for the NPCs.

Last edited:

JPL

Adventurer
On the subject of sorta-evil PCs...

I've never tried it, but it would be interesting to play a non-evil priest of an evil god. Take Bane, for example. A Lawful Neutral cleric of Bane probably wants to take over the world because he's an egomaniac. But maybe he honestly believes that he'll do a better job than everyone else. Not to get political here...but he's everything bad you've ever heard about John Ashcroft.

But he'd rather convert you than kill you. While he believes that the strong should rule the weak, he appreciates that there are different kinds of "strength" --- physical might, intelligence, charisma, self-discipline. He's a fine ally --- treating your underlings well insures loyal underlings, and you need lots of loyal underlings when you're out to conquer the world...

Xarlen

First Post
Interesting thought. Though, I can't help seeing Bane as rather cruel to underlings, the weaklings. He is God of Tyrants.

Like a non-evil priest of Malar who believes culling the weak is important, so the strong may live, but this doesn't mean that it must be unmerciful in execution.

JPL

Adventurer
Or howzabout a Chaotic Neutral worshipper of Besheba?

He's obsessed with bad luck. He lives by Murphy's Law. He's the ultimate pessimist --- but in an adventuring party, it's sometimes a good idea to have someone along who always plans for the worst-case scenario. He's bitter and jaded, but has a ironic, black sense of humor. And he doesn't have to be a constant bellyacher, either --- maybe when things go bad [as they inevitably do] he just lets out a long, miserable sigh that says it all --- and to him, that's a prayer.

Xarlen

First Post
JPL said:
Or howzabout a Chaotic Neutral worshipper of Besheba?

He's obsessed with bad luck. He lives by Murphy's Law. He's the ultimate pessimist --- but in an adventuring party, it's sometimes a good idea to have someone along who always plans for the worst-case scenario. He's bitter and jaded, but has a ironic, black sense of humor. And he doesn't have to be a constant bellyacher, either --- maybe when things go bad [as they inevitably do] he just lets out a long, miserable sigh that says it all --- and to him, that's a prayer.

Heh. I want to play that guy. 'I Told you so' is a litany. ;)

Remove ads