Createyourminis - design online your own miniatures

lehcym

First Post
I already have presented this project in another thread but since we are about to start a kickstarter campaign I took the liberty to open a new one.

KS_logo.png

We are launching ourkickstarter campaign on December the 18th !

Createyourminis is about letting you design your own 28mm miniatures (1:56 precisely) through our website. You choose the type of model you want, like man or woman, then select the clothes, the weapon, the equipment. Once you are done, you choose how the weapon is held then select a pose among the compatible poses.

design.png

After you wait a couple of minutes for the model to be built then you can visualize it, order it or save it to be modified or ordered later.

3dmodel.png

Our possibilities are (almost) limitless !

Createyourminis - design online your own miniatures

Among the numerous features, the most important in regard of this kickstarter campaign is the possibility to add symbols on some flat elements, usually shields, torso armors or shoulder pads. You can even add those symbols on some elements of the weapon sprue so you can convert other miniatures. If you back this project you can even provide us with a symbol we will add to our database so you can personalize your miniatures even more !
weaponSprue.jpg

Try it and tell us what you think !

Last edited:

Lindeloef

First Post
I think it is a cool idea though it needs more Stuff to select from of course ;)

btw your link to the kickstarter is broken.

lehcym

First Post
The link was broken indeed, thank you.
Of course we need more stuff, but for that we need more ressources, that's why we are doing this kickstarter :)

By the way don't forget to tell us what you want. We set some stretch goals but in case this kickstarter goes really well we will need to add new ones. What do you want? Bikes or cyberpunk armors for humans? Elfs or dwarfs? Canons or spare parts like barrels and missiles? Something else?

Even if we don't reach the point where we need to add new stretch goals knowing what you want can determine what we will do in 6 months or one year.

Lindeloef

First Post
More (female) faces and hats would be a good start for me. A "Gandalf hat" for example is missing.

Also maybe do a survey if your customers prefer fantasy or space marine stuff.

lehcym

First Post
To be honest, the shipping for “a” miniature is not cost efficient since it weights next to nothing, 1 or 20 doesn't really make any difference. Anyway, the cost during the kickstarter is $25CAD, later it will cost around €18.

It was brought to our attention that usually early birds have a smaller discount and a higher limit number, otherwise backers leave negative comments.

I admit we overlooked that kind of thing, so we will half the discount and double the limit numbers, unless we see comments that change our mind back.

My experience from a previous Kickstarter is, to make sure shipping doesn't surprise you and bite you on the ass, just have a flat rate for each patron that doesn't include shipping. When it comes time for you to fulfill your obligations, each patron gets a coupon for whatever they pledged for. Then they go to your shop or whatever, enter their address, and pay the shipping out of pocket. It saves a ton of time on your end (assuming you have a shop to process all this.)

By the way, this looks pretty good, considering the options so far. Obviously there are a billion new things you could code in, but it's a nice start.

As for things to add, I imagine the gold medal victory is to get every RPG player in the world customizing a mini for their PC. So you need a variety of face options, expressions, and hairstyles. If I want an old PC of mine, I could reduce it to three factors: a smirking woman with a widow's peak and elf ears. Or if there are more customization options, I might end up adjusting eye width, chin shape, etc etc.

As for design sets? Spell effects (lightning bolts in hand, curling balls of flame, a halo, wings, a 'floating shield'). Terrain to stand on. Kung fu poses.

Good luck!

Attachments

• Head Movement Needed.png
    Head Movement Needed.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 422
Last edited:

lehcym

First Post
My experience from a previous Kickstarter is, to make sure shipping doesn't surprise you and bite you on the ass, just have a flat rate for each patron that doesn't include shipping. When it comes time for you to fulfill your obligations, each patron gets a coupon for whatever they pledged for. Then they go to your shop or whatever, enter their address, and pay the shipping out of pocket. It saves a ton of time on your end (assuming you have a shop to process all this.)
You are right, we changed it (see below)

After taking into account various feedback, we did the following changes:

- We added a pledge level for 1 miniature
- We halved the discounts for early birds and double their limits.
- We removed the shipping cost, it will be charged at the order, when we will actually be able to ship the miniatures. At that time we will know exactly how much it will cost us, therefore we will be able to charge you a fairer price. Furthermore, you won't have to pay it upfront.

the shipping will cost around:
France: €9
European Union and Switzerland: €14
Rest of the world : €18

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So, given than Heroforge literally just opened after its Kickstarter in Feb, I think what I'd find very useful is something highlighting the benefits of funding this project, rather than simply using Heroforge. Are there more options, or is the price better, for example?

lehcym

First Post
So, given than Heroforge literally just opened after its Kickstarter in Feb, I think what I'd find very useful is something highlighting the benefits of funding this project, rather than simply using Heroforge. Are there more options, or is the price better, for example?
Our miniatures will be €6 each after the kickstarter campaign, €5 for normal pledge and €4.5 for early bird (for an heroic 28mm human). Theirs are $15 or $25, depending on the quality you request. The price difference comes from the fact that they use a third party (shapeways) to print the miniatures while we will print our miniature ourselves.

From what I know of shapeways and if I'm not mistaking about the material used I don't think the “$15 quality” is good enough for miniatures, especially if you want to paint them. That said, I didn't see any heroforge miniature myself, maybe I'm wrong.

Their website is nicer since you can see your model in real time, while I think ours is more practical. I wonder if they didn't have to sacrifice the high polygon number required for 3D printing though (that's one of the reasons we can't give you real time, the polygon number of our models is far too high for real time).

They provide sliders, to have fatter/thinner models for example, we don't.
We allow you to put symbols on equipment, they don't.
They seem to have problem with 2 handed weapons like spears or rifles.
+ various little things

I'm under the impression that our models have more details, maybe because we have a higher polygon number.

Overall, the best way for you to know is to test both systems and to see the one you prefer. My only fear is that between their low polygon number and the subpar quality of the “$15” people start to think 3D printing isn't good enough for miniatures. But I never saw heroforge miniatures myself, maybe there are perfectly satisfactory.

I tried to be as much unbiased as I could. My best advice would be to pledge for a small amount so you can have an handful or our miniatures and you will be able to compare with theirs. In the end only your opinion matters, not mine or anyone else's.

Remove ads