Steve Jackson Games Announces 2024 Release Schedule

The Fantasy Trip and Choose Cthulhu getting new releases plus Munchkin Shadowrun and Age of Sigmar

Steve Jackson Games announced their 2024 product release schedule. Meredith Placko, the new CEO fo Steve Jackson Games, posted a list of upcoming releases and crowdfunding campaigns expected in the upcoming year. Several new RPG releases are here among the Munchkin expansions, Car Wars sourcebooks, and new miniatures for OGRE.

2024Releases.jpg

Starting in February, The Fantasy Trip Bestiary is scheduled for release along with a Kickstarter launching for Munchkin Shadowrun which has an expected July 2024 release.

May will see a Kickstarter for an untitled collection of one-page RPGs with an estimated August 2024 release.

July will have the release of another tie-in Munchkin: Age of Sigmar: Dire Domains along with a Kickstarter for Foes 3, the third entry in the line of 3D printable fantasy miniatures.

August has a scheduled Kickstarter for Choose Cthulhu Books 7-10, expanding the offering of choose-your-own-adventure style books covering the classic works of H.P. Lovecraft.

There will also be two Kickstarters for Hexagram, the magazine for The Fantasy Trip with #12 in January for a March release, #13 in June for an August release, and #14 in December for a February 2025 release.

Throughout the year, the company looks to expand on their PDF offerings of classic GURPS books with digital re-releases of Template Toolkit: Spirits in February, Infinite Worlds: Atlantropa in April, Meta-Tech in June, Fantasy Folk: The Reptilian Races in August, Monster Hunters Adventure: The Face of Fire in October, and Loadouts: Starship Crew in December.

The release also mentions “semi-secret projects in the works” and one title in November is listed simply as [Redacted]. Meredith Placko said in the update “One is so secret that if I say any more, I'll be [REDACTED]. And just wait for our all-new as-yet-to-be-titled RPG project!” Knowing Steve Jackson Games’s love of exploring conspiracy theories in games, that may very well be the title.

Placko also was sure to point out that “dates are always subject to change based on manufacturing and shipping issues”.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I can't help but think GURPS is a game for another era. I feel the same way about Car Wars, Starfleet Battles, AD&D, and a number of other games I enjoyed back then. Without a complete overhaul, effectively changing the game completely, I don't ever expect GURPS to be as popular as it once was.
Exactly. I was imagining a world in which somehow I ended up in control of GURPS, and no longer beholden to its future to SJG, but only to my own success metrics. And I started by saying "Oh, I'll just change this one thing" and kept saying that over and over until the game did not look anything like GURPS - at which point I was like why not just create my own game? Or better yet, looking around at this hobby, maybe I'll put my imaginary efforts elsewhere

Argyle King

Legend
I wish After the End got more attention.

I feel like it's a better gateway entry to the system than DF.

Don't get me wrong, I like DF a lot. I just think that the 250-point start is a lot to take in for someone new. It would be like teaching someone D&D while starting them off at 5th level.

It would be like teaching someone D&D while starting them off at 5th level.
Lots of people actually do that, although 3rd level's more common IME. Depending on the edition in use, 1st level D&D can be a terrible place to start actual new blood, being either boringly limited, overly deadly, or both.

Argyle King

Legend
Lots of people actually do that, although 3rd level's more common IME. Depending on the edition in use, 1st level D&D can be a terrible place to start actual new blood, being either boringly limited, overly deadly, or both.

I can understand 3rd level, especially since some classes in D&D don't start to get options or much customization until about then.

I think higher than that, while doable, might be a lot for someone to take in without fully understanding what the powers and spells on their sheet actually do or when/why they should be used.

My opinion is that Douglas Cole's products for Dungeon Fantasy provide a better starting point than what the DF boxed set provides right out of the box.

One of the reasons that I think so highly of After the End is because it starts at a power level that is easier to grasp for people learning the game, while also providing a setting that can be used to learn everything from basic rules to vehicle combat, mutants, and guns.

Additionally, in just the first few pdfs, you have most of what you would need to cover Fallout or Mad Max style games.

You could also add a few elements from DF to After the End and have something that captures a Dark Sun vibe, with most of the parts already assembled.

I've been thinking about doing that the next time I run a GURPS game. What I have in mind to kick off the game is using the free adventure Caravan to Ein Arris, but with some modifications such as adding mutants, evil slavers, and radiated desert hazards.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads