New Fallout: The Roleplaying Game Releases Coming in 2024

The Fallout RPG is headed to the NCR, Appalachia, New Vegas, and more

Modiphius announced several new products and updated release dates for several previously-announced books for Fallout: The Roleplaying Game expected in 2024.

fallout-the-roleplaying-game-map-pack-1-vault-fallout-rpg-modiphius-entertainment-126685_900x.jpg

First we have the only new product currently available for pre-order, Map Pack 1: Vault. The collection features 8 detailed poster maps scaled for use with 32mm miniatures of locations inside the Vault-Tec vaults in their post-nuclear rusted state along with a 32-page complete quest exploring a vault hidden beneath an old hotel. The map pack is expected for a February 2024 release and is available for pre-order for £37.00 (US$47.87).

A second map set, Map Pack 2: Wasteland Locales will similarly feature a collection of 8 maps of different common locations players may encounter in the wasteland. No price has been set for this product yet, but it is expected in Q2 2024.

5EDS4kDFRKmDqdB25xQmn3.jpg

Since the core rulebook focused mostly on the Commonwealth and Boston from Fallout 4, fans have been wondering when the West Coast will be featured. Well that’s coming with two books. The Wanderer’s Guide Book set for Q1 2024 will feature new character options, equipment, scavenging locations, and a wasteland bestiary for New California from Fallout 1-2, Appalachia from Fallout 76, and the Mojave from Fallout: New Vegas. The release seems to be timed to coincide with the premiere of the television show Fallout from Amazon in April 2024.

You can put that new sourcebook to work with Royal Flush Campaign Book, an adventure book with a story that spans the West Coast wastelands all the way to New Vegas. This is the second campaign book for the game following Winter of Atom released earlier this year.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

ngenius

Adventurer
At least more progress with Fallout recently, though still a dearth of role playing books compared to Star Trek Adventures, despite both being 2d20 games licensed from IP holders to Modiphius.

Abstruse

Legend
At least more progress with Fallout recently, though still a dearth of role playing books compared to Star Trek Adventures, despite both being 2d20 games licensed from IP holders to Modiphius.
Pure speculation I have no information on but might explain the discrepancy: Modiphius is also doing the Fallout Wasteland Warfare skirmish mini-game and its roleplaying game expansion. So they may be splitting resources between the two. Also, there may be a difference in approvals or release schedule or something else in the license that prevents them from releasing too often. If Bethesda drags their heels approving art or text or rules or whatever, it can slow down production and cause knock-on effects (which has been my assumption of what happened with the line overall since the core rulebook was delayed a year due to COVID and other releases have slipped like the Valut map pack which was supposed to already be out). Again, I have no idea if this is accurate or not as it is me guessing, but thosea re some possible situations for the slower release schedule compared to STA.

Abstruse

Legend
Smart to tie their wagon to tv show.
I don't think that's what they're doing but more a coincidence of timing. Otherwise, both the campaign and the setting book would be coming out around April for the release.

It's more serendipity as this is the logical path for books was what they've done. Core rulebook set in the Commonwealth as Fallout 4 is the most recent of the mainline Fallout games and the bestselling of the franchise so it the one most likely known to fans. After that, create a campaign event focused on the Commonwealth and their factions.

Then spread out further and bring in the other popular settings particularly the Mojave Wasteland and New Vegas as Fallout New Vegas is a fan favorite of the franchise, and it's easy to spread that out to the entire West Coast from Fallout 1 and 2 since it's similar locations, enemies, and factions. I'm not sure I would've added Appalachia in the same book personally because it's an East Coast location and Fallout 76 wasn't that well received (bad launch, after the Wastelanders update it's at least a decent game even if it's still the worst Fallout game since Brotherhood of Steel). But it also makes sense to tie it into another book because of the FO76 fan hate as it'd be unlikely to sell well on its own.

And that's the pattern they followed and just got lucky that the release of their West Coast sourcebook came at the same time as the new TV series taking place on the West Coast premieres.

MGibster

Legend
I've made a sizable investment in Fallout miniatures, and I'll likely be purchasing some of these maps and books. My group had a lot of fun with our Fallout campaign and we're looking forward to more.

Darksithmstr

First Post
More to do with licence agreement, I talked to some of the developers on discord and they said there is a whole pipeline of things they are working on(over a year ago). But Bethesda has to clear every bit of it and are in no rush.

Remove ads

Remove ads