Fashion + Tech

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
It's more like a proof of concept for the idea of folding stuff to better use the volume of the printer, isn't it? Especially if they provide software which automagically folds you model. You're no longer limited printing kobolds and goblins, but can print a collapsable dragon, too!

Janx

Hero
That was wierd. A very holey dress. Looks good on a model, not likely to get much use by real people in regular situations (ie. not a night club where see thru clothes are the norm).

Presumably that's part art, and part aspect of the current technology. When 3d printing resolution gets down to super tiny nano fibers the result will be more like fabric and not HoleyTriangleTech.

The printing process hassle is also likely just an artifact of the current tech and the fact that this was a big experiment.

What they learn from this project (model pre-folding, all the excess matrix material) will likely lead to improvements and streamlining.

Some other things to consider:
3d printing became accessible because the patents on plastic 3d printing expired and the DIY companies sprung up to bring us the technology.

The 3d metal printing patents will expire "soon" (per a seminar I went to on the topic), and that should unlock more materials to print with in the next few years

eventually, I'd expect a multi-extruder 3d printer with spools for multiple plastics (type and color), metal, paper/cotton/bio-matter and being capable of mixing and mingling materials (well, maybe not metal, it's hot).

I'm imagining printing with spider silk or synthetic cotton or wood pulp. That would unlock some different textures and materials.

This might lead to printing circuits, custom cases for our Android phone core (with the printed circuit pairing up the to brain to enable buttons, etc) Clothing, shoes, jewelry, toys, tools (need a new pliers?).

Ryujin

Legend
That was wierd. A very holey dress. Looks good on a model, not likely to get much use by real people in regular situations (ie. not a night club where see thru clothes are the norm).

Presumably that's part art, and part aspect of the current technology. When 3d printing resolution gets down to super tiny nano fibers the result will be more like fabric and not HoleyTriangleTech.

The printing process hassle is also likely just an artifact of the current tech and the fact that this was a big experiment.

What they learn from this project (model pre-folding, all the excess matrix material) will likely lead to improvements and streamlining.

Some other things to consider:
3d printing became accessible because the patents on plastic 3d printing expired and the DIY companies sprung up to bring us the technology.

The 3d metal printing patents will expire "soon" (per a seminar I went to on the topic), and that should unlock more materials to print with in the next few years

eventually, I'd expect a multi-extruder 3d printer with spools for multiple plastics (type and color), metal, paper/cotton/bio-matter and being capable of mixing and mingling materials (well, maybe not metal, it's hot).

I'm imagining printing with spider silk or synthetic cotton or wood pulp. That would unlock some different textures and materials.

This might lead to printing circuits, custom cases for our Android phone core (with the printed circuit pairing up the to brain to enable buttons, etc) Clothing, shoes, jewelry, toys, tools (need a new pliers?).

There's already a wood/plastic hybrid filament available for extruder style printers. Here's a video in which it's used:

[video=youtube;g4ZUJ1d-Jks]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ZUJ1d-Jks[/video]

I've also seen dual extruder printers in which one feeds ABS and the other feeds a rubber-like flexible material.

MarkB

Legend
Interesting. With the single segments being inflexible we're talking about: Printed Armour! :eek:

Indeed. Instant chainmail bikinis - just add chrome paint.

I'm not sure I see the point of this vs. going to a store or ordering online. Not just for the dress, but all printers. How often does someone think they'll use it?

One thing I can think of, a couple of technological generations down the line when the production quality is better, is that you could potentially go into a store, step into a full-body laser scanner, and pick up a set of freshly-printed made-to-measure clothes later that day. You could even preview how they'll look on a virtual model of yourself before deciding what to print.

Jhaelen

First Post
Dunno, I think that dress doesn't look to different from some of the haute couture I've seen over the years. Trying to use unusual materials in fashion is an ongoing thing. And as long as you wear something under that printed dress it's actually 'wearable' - which sometimes cannot be said of haute couture. I actually think it looks rather intriguing, particularly considering it's mostly a technology demo.

Remove ads