• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What Exactly is a Weapon Attack?

Kinneus

Explorer
I'm interested in creating a Figher 3/Monk 17 who takes the Champion Archetype. I'm wondering if his expanded crit range would apply to his unarmed attacks.

The Monster Manual seems to use "weapon attack" to apply to a wide range of attacks, including things like claw attacks, but I'm not sure if this would apply to a PC.

Fralex

Explorer
In the equipment section, an unarmed strike is classified as a simple weapon. I'd say it works. Plus, interesting synergies are the reason people multiclass in the first place. Might as well make it fun!

Kinneus

Explorer
Awesome! I have an idea for a character who's equal parts "drunken master" and also "just plain drunk." A dwarf from a dishonored hill clan that charges opponents with a handaxe and a reckless disregard for his own safety and sobriety.

If this little synergy didn't work, it wouldn't stop me from playing the character. But it certainly adds to the experience!

Fralex

Explorer
OK, yeah, I guess I meant to say interesting synergies are ONE reason to multiclass. I hope your character concept turns out fun!

PnPgamer

Explorer
In my experience these past months have shown that "weapon attack" brother is a "spell attack", thus creating the necessary difference with mundane hitting and spells such as fire bolt and so on. If the thing specifies "ranged spell attack" or "melee weapon attack", it isfurther down in specification.

Also if "attack roll" is referred, it means that any kind of attack, regardless of being spell or weapon.

Last edited:

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
In general, an attack is either a weapon attack or a spell attack.

The rules usually say which an attack is, and when they don't it should be easy to tell. I'm sure there are some ambiguous cases (weird monster special abilities, certain traps, maybe some odd magic items) but usually, if it's not a spell or spell-like thing like a beam or bolt or blast or whatever, it's a weapon attack.

I am pretty sure unarmed strike is explicitly called out as a weapon attack somewhere but I can't find the reference now...

PnPgamer

Explorer
Unarmed strike is listed in simple weapons in PHB. Nowhere else is mentioned what unarmed strike is, to my knowledge.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And, in 5e, if you have to ask the question, "What exactly is X?" the answer is probably, "What do you want it to be?"

Remove ads