New Cooperative D&D Video Game Allows a DM To Run The Adventure

An upcoming Dungeons & Dragons video game based on the new D&D 5th Edition rules will allow groups of up to four players to cooperate in online games run by a real human Dungeon Master. Called Sword Coast Legends, it's coming this year, and is being developed by n-Space and Digital Extremes. It sounds very much like a game partly inspired by the Neverwinter Nights video games.

Developer Dan Tudge mentions the setting. "You can certainly expect to visit iconic locations along the Sword Coast and you may even run into a few familiar faces along the way." He also goes on to talk about how the game actually works: "Dungeon Master Mode is going to allow players to quickly jump in and play as a real-time DM in a way that has never really been fully realized in a video game. DMs are able to adjust encounters, place, promote, manage and even control monsters, set traps, reward and punish party members – all in real time"

Not only that, but a Campaign Mode allows for much larger storylines, and a Single Player mode allows one player to lead a groups of adventurers recruited within the game.

It almost sounds like the ultimate in virtual tabletops, although it's not clear what worldbuilding tools or custom content can be included.

Tudge talks about the inspiration behind the game. "When I directed Dragon Age: Origins the mission was to create the ‘spiritual successor to Baldur’s Gate’ and I think players really felt like Origins achieved that. With Sword Coast Legends we are also continuing the legacy of the Baldur’s Gate series so you will see strong influences from not only those games, but from Dragon Age: Origins as well. You will definitely feel the influence in the tactical party-based combat, pause and play and character progression, but it’s the rich story and memorable characters where the influence is strongest."

[video=youtube;jZmyUfDP1no]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZmyUfDP1no[/video]

SCREEN_SCL_021015_011.jpg

SCREEN_SCL_021015_018.jpg

SCREEN_SCL_021015_017.jpg

SCREEN_SCL_021015_020.jpg

SCREEN_SCL_021015_008.jpg

John Enfield

First Post
I prefer turn-based over real time but this does look cool!

That looks awesome. I would love to see this in a turn-based version, but I suspect it will be RTwP. I'll settle for that.

Agreed! I've loved playing video games that had you be the dungeon master or the main villain trying to stop the heroes from defeating you. This looks like it could be a neat mix up of the traditional 'you are the hero' computer RPG and a game like that.

I love both computer RPGs and table-top ones so I'm looking forward to this one. Could be a nice solution to gaming with friends over long distances that is easier to implement than gaming over skype or virtual table top or some such thing.

Nebulous

Legend
I don't know exactly how it would work, but I'm imagining DLC for official adventures, like Lost Mine of Phandelver where you play through a scripted game but it has enough things for a DM to tweak to make it feel customized. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

Emka

First Post
In multiplayer, that would be horrible. Anybody able to pause it at any time?

Maybe the DM can pause it.
It worked well enough in Baldur's Gate.
Remember this is a co-op game, not a free-for-all. If the players can't organize their plays, pausing is the least of their problems.

Barantor

Explorer
Looks interesting and I was a big fan of both Neverwinter games ability to dm for a party. I don't know if they will add the ability to make our own dungeons, but that would be a bonus in my mind.

EvilDwarf

Explorer
For years now I've wanted an "empty" video game that I could run my players through: think, Skyrim without the monster encounters. The players would right there in a beautiful, graphic world that would take the place of a paper map or virtual desktop.

If "this" is like "that," it will be incredible, especially if you could drop in some scripted monsters and NPCs (for example, you could build NPCs from a list of characteristics, much like you do now from lists in the DMGs, etc. and then put them in the world).

I suppose combat is based on "the math behind the curtain?" Insert your character into the world, the game runs all the rolls, etc., and the DM can possibly Pause and input the characters' actions and strategies, and then press Play and let the round unfold?

This is really intriguing--and IF it includes a world building engine ala NWN, I'm definitely in.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Publisher
Looks like a cooldown based action game, which should be fun. I'm interested to find out more, especially how DM mode works and how much content you can make yourself. But it wont be anything like playing 5e.

Agamon

Adventurer
It worked well enough in Baldur's Gate.
Remember this is a co-op game, not a free-for-all. If the players can't organize their plays, pausing is the least of their problems.

It's works in DA, too. But those are solo games. I can't of a real time co-op that lets anyone pause the game.

Gecko85

Explorer
Sadly, from the FAQ, looks like this will be the "PC" (Windows) version of Steam only. If they're going to use Steam, why be restrictive? Many developers are making cross-platform games on Steam. That's one of the great things about Steam. A single license can be used on either Windows or Mac versions of Steam. A *lot* of people over the past 10 years have switched to Mac. This is going to be limiting. I, for one, won't be buying a Windows based PC just to play this game. Hell, they even ported both Baldur's Gate games to iOS...so not support Steam for Mac just seems odd.

Too bad. I was looking forward to this.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
This game looks really awesome. I hope it's as awesome as it looks.

I'm skeptical about the DM side. In the trailer, it just showed the DM placing and controlling monsters. So far, all we've seen is a Left 4 Dead-style "protagonists vs. enemies" multiplayer mode. The front page does say "create your own adventure" and "traverse your dungeon," but we don't have any details yet.

Interesting to see five races and six classes... Beyond the "core four" of each, there's 1 extra race and 2 extra classes. Drow? Paladin? Ranger? Striker Fighter, Defender Fighter?

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases