Core rulebook needed?

Since campaign settings are going to get published, will the d20M corebook still be needed? If those settings have new classes, new feats & talents, new equipment etc, why still need the corebook? Seems like the very generic corebook is only a starter for publishers. Or won't the corebook & setting overlap so much?

Ranger REG

Explorer
The same format is being applied for D&D and the Forgotten Realms Campaign Sourcebook. All the core rules you needed is going to be in d20 Modern while you provide additional material specifically tailored for the setting in a sourcebook.

I don't know; there's not as much difference between D&D (Greyhawk) and FR as between modern day RPG and futuristic Gamma World for ex. D20M is much more generic than D&D and FR has much more background available (not much need for new rules, mostly geography) than any other world.

Skywalker

Adventurer
Shadowlord said:
I don't know; there's not as much difference between D&D (Greyhawk) and FR as between modern day RPG and futuristic Gamma World for ex. D20M is much more generic than D&D and FR has much more background available (not much need for new rules, mostly geography) than any other world.

I think this actually makes it more likely that d20 Modern will be used along with settings than D&D was with some of the settings made for it..

My favourite d20 settings (Slaine, Spycraft and Fading Suns) needed to significantly change the classes etc found in D&D to make it work. The reason being that D&D imports a number of factors peculiar to that game and it's style that don't necessarily suit other settings. So many of the settings rewrote how magic worked, made new classes that superceded the existing ones and even made rules changes like Defence.

On the other hand d20 Modern is much broader in it's applicability. The basic classes will be usable in all styles of games and the advanced classes have a much broader appeal too. I think you will see settings for d20 Modern just adding bits to d20 Modern rather than rewriting it like additional classes.

Good examples of this include Digital Burn which simply added new classes as the existing classes were acceptable (they didn't try and create a new Thief class as the Infilitrator was fine). Dark Inheritance also uses d20 Modern in its entirely and simply adds extra bits to get across the peculiarities of the setting.

So I think that d20 Modern is a much more useful book and will be more vital to settings made for it than D&D was.

Doughty247

Explorer
D20M is much more generic than D&D and FR has much more background available (not much need for new rules, mostly geography) than any other world. [/B]

Maybe I've misunderstood your post, but either way I'd like to bring up a point. The d20 Modern world has more background, preexsisting storylines & overall reference material than any other RPG ever created. Whether you choose one of the campaign setting offered by Wizards or a 3rd party publisher or use a homebrew world your resources are unlimited. We are already very familiar with an incredible array of buisnesses from the real world. So going out to eat or shopping ect., are as easy as pie to set up. Also transportation, law-enforcement, communications, and the layout of the world are at your finger tips. As far as story ideas go all you have to do is turn on you TV and flip the channels until you come across a movie, TV show or news report that peeks your interest. In some ways this is the most versatile RPG ever created (within it's own boundries of course).

Do you want to run a straight Modern campaign like 'Lethal Weapon', or something more sinister like 'X-Files', or maybe something like 'Clancy' or 'Ludlum'. Any or all of these are possibilities with the d20 Modern game.

Wait, this almost sounds like some kind of commecial. I guess if you follow this messageboard you already pretty much know this. Either way, my players & I have really been having alot of fun so far. I hope maybe this post gives at least one GM a bit of inspiration.

James

Doughty247

Explorer
D20M is much more generic than D&D and FR has much more background available (not much need for new rules, mostly geography) than any other world. [/B]

Maybe I've misunderstood your post, but either way I'd like to bring up a point. The d20 Modern world has more background, preexsisting storylines & overall reference material than any other RPG ever created. Whether you choose one of the campaign setting offered by Wizards or a 3rd party publisher or use a homebrew world your resources are unlimited. We are already very familiar with an incredible array of buisnesses from the real world. So going out to eat or shopping ect., are as easy as pie to set up. Also transportation, law-enforcement, communications, and the layout of the world are at your finger tips. As far as story ideas go all you have to do is turn on you TV and flip the channels until you come across a movie, TV show or news report that peeks your interest. In some ways this is the most versatile RPG ever created (within it's own boundries of course).

Do you want to run a straight Modern campaign like 'Lethal Weapon', or something more sinister like 'X-Files', or maybe something like 'Clancy' or 'Ludlum'. Any or all of these are possibilities with the d20 Modern game.

Wait, this almost sounds like some kind of commecial. I guess if you follow this messageboard you already pretty much know this. Either way, my players & I have really been having alot of fun so far. I hope maybe this post gives at least one GM a bit of inspiration.

James

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It's been, what, 2-3 months since it came out? Was the DMG even out at this point for D&D 3e? I'm certain there were no settings out at this point (that took a year or two). And yet, Urban AZrcana is coming out in not too long a time. Really, how much can you demand of a new system?

Skywalker

Adventurer
Shadowlord said:
So where are all those campaign settings and why aren't there (m)any sourcebooks out yet?? :eek:

There are multiple posts on this forum and on the Wizard boards that provide lists of the current and near future d20 products. Have a dig around for them. There are quite a few supplements but they are a little light in the settings department (most are tool-like supplements).

Remember it took a few months before Forgotten Realms was released after D&D. As d20 Modern is never going to be as popular nor is it as sure a thing as D&D there will be less supplements and they will take a little longer. However, d20 Modern ain't doing so bad.

However some of the more notable settings include (in my order of preference):

Dark Inheritance - April
Gamma World - June
Digital Burn - out
Solid - soon
Urban Arcana - May
Second World - out
d20 Somalia - soon

As d20 Modern is never going to be as popular nor is it as sure a thing as D&D there will be less supplements and they will take a little longer.

Who says so? Maybe d20M will become MORE popular than d&d with its much wider scope.

Anyone heard of Darwin's World? It's supposed to come out in march 03 for d20M. :confused:

Remove ads