Core rulebook needed?

Skywalker

Adventurer
Shadowlord said:
Who says so? Maybe d20M will become MORE popular than d&d with its much wider scope.

Anyone heard of Darwin's World? It's supposed to come out in march 03 for d20M. :confused:

Darwin's World is being converted from d20 to d20 Modern. You can get the pdf at RPGnow I believe.

As for why d20 Modern won't be as popular as D&D, who knows :). I amde the satatement based on:

1. Historically, no other RPG has ever even dented D&D. D&D has millions of players and years of history. Many of those will not play anything than D&D (yes even d20 Modern) and most will continue to play D&D as their primary game.

2. Wider scope is not necessarily a selling factor for an RPG. After all there are games that are wider in scope than d20 Modern that pale against D&D for example.

3. I think your comment aabout d20 Modern having more scope than D&D may be misguided. I don't think d20 Modern necessarily has more or less scope than D&D. D&D covers epic fantasy and D20 Modern modern action/adventure. It's like trying to measure a piece of string. However, my guess is that no matter the scope, fantasy is more popular than modern action/adventure.

4. Even the people in the know (Wizards) have said that d20 Modern will not sell as much as D&D. I am sure that they would love to be proven wrong, of course :D

D&D is becoming a dinsosaur. With OGL other products show that RPGs can be done better or more easily (->wider scope with smaller format).

D&D isn't epic fantasy and D20M action/adventure as you state; D&D is dungeon-hacking and D20M is a roleplaying game (-> decent action but with many other elements).

At least my constatations. ;)

PS: Will DW only be available as pdf or will there be a book for d20M ?

Skywalker

Adventurer
Shadowlord said:
D&D is becoming a dinsosaur. With OGL other products show that RPGs can be done better or more easily (->wider scope with smaller format).

D&D isn't epic fantasy and D20M action/adventure as you state; D&D is dungeon-hacking and D20M is a roleplaying game (-> decent action but with many other elements).

At least my constatations. ;)

In an ideal world I would agree with you. However, the commercial reality shows D&D still incredibly strong and perhaps getting even stronger.

I am unsure what your reference to "wider scope and smaller format" means. However, I again note that the OGL is first and foremost a marketing tool for WotC to be able to sell its core books being the PHB, DMG, MM and now d20 Modern. The selling of core books remains the most lucrative part of the industry and D&D/WotC is doing very well off of it. Some OGL 3rd party publishers do also benefit but in general the risk has been shifted.

As for D20M being a "roleplaying game" I again ask "how long is a piece of string?". D&D is a roleplaying game and can be used as such, as can any roleplaying game. If you regard D&D so lowly I am puzzled to hear how you distinguish D20M given that much of the structure of the game is the same. The only difference I can see is how you use it which is beyond the control of the rulebook anyhow.

Also there is nothing to suggest that more "roleplaying aspects sell better given that D&D sells far more copies than any other RPG.

Again I would love you to be right but commercial reality doesn't support it.

I am unsure what your reference to "wider scope and smaller format" means.

I mean that d20M, SW, CoC, WoT... all d20 games, succeed in binding everything needed for play in 1 book only, where D&D needs 4 or 5. :rolleyes:

Besides both being d20, there are many differences between d&d and d20M. D20M has better skills worked out, a more fluent combat system (massive damage is great!), more generic classes, careers, better feats, vehicle rules, gamesmastering & setting section in one book...
In short, you've got much more non-combat elements whereas in d&d it's all still too dungeon oriented.

But let's get back on topic...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Ranger REG said:

I thought the first setting product is Greyhawk Gazetteer.

Well if you can call it that. Sure, it's a setting product - but it isn't really a full campaign setting. In fact the most I got out of it was an updated map!

Ranger REG

Explorer
Which is probably why I hope they get it right when they release the 3.5 rulebooks: Follow the revised edition with a Greyhawk Campaign Sourcebook.

Besides, it was stupid of Wizards to hand off the Greyhawk product line management to RPGA, and then cut their funding.

Last edited:

Skywalker

Adventurer
Shadowlord said:
In short, you've got much more non-combat elements whereas in d&d it's all still too dungeon oriented.

But let's get back on topic...

Good idea :D. If it helps I think that d20 Modern is a better product but that historical has not been a determining factor of whether it is successful or not.

BTW I think D&D 3.5 will be much more tidied up along the lines of D20 Modern.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Shadowlord said:

I mean that d20M, SW, CoC, WoT... all d20 games, succeed in binding everything needed for play in 1 book only, where D&D needs 4 or 5. :rolleyes:

Well, it's 3 books in D&D, not 4 or 5. And the fact that you need more than one book there has several reasons:

D&D is high on magic, whereas d20M only adds it as an option. Where d20M only dedicates a couple of pages to magic, D&D has around 130 pages of spells and magic in general in the PHB, plus around 70 pages on magic items, including how to create them, in the DMG. Add to that the need of more condiditions (held, level-drained), and you have around 200 pages extra just for magic.

Then, while d20M mostly uses NPCs and a couple of animals as "monsters", D&D sports a whole 200+ pages book only for monsters, so you have all the things you came to know over the decades: Dragons, Demons, Devils, Mythical Beasts.... add to that the pages in the DMG with NPC tables, and you have another 200 pages extra.

Then, D&D needs more info on world building, while in d20M, you can draw upon your knowledge of the real world, and this gets another couple of pages.

So you see, if you didn't have monsters and magic in D&D, you could make the PHB a little thicker (around 380 pages, just like d20 System Books), and get another game with just one book. But that would not be D&D any more. Also, in D&D the players need only one (cheaper) book, and only the DM needs the other two.

Of course, you need another book with a campaign setting in it if you don't want to create your own, using the guidelines of the core rules, but that's the same with d20M.

D20M has better skills worked out,

Don't forget that they had a lot of time to learn between D&D and d20 Modern, and with the revision of the rules, I think D&D's skills will get streamlined like the ones of d20M

a more fluent combat system (massive damage is great!),

The massive damage rules don't really add to the fluency of the game, since they appear much more often than before. D&D has a higher Treshold, but that's OK since in D&D you can deal a lot more damage, what with magic and all that, so later on that threshold is not so big any more.

more generic classes,

That's not necessarily an advantage. It's different. I like both systems, but there are both people who like a highly generalized system and people who like a highly specialized system.

D&D has them, too. My first 3e Character has been having a really nice career so far: from normal fighter to bladesinger to divine champion to high bladesinger to chosen of corellon.

If you mean the Starting Occupations: they're more suited for the modern games, but I'm not sure if they'd fit into a fantasy game (or if we need them there)

better feats,

?
Examples, please.

vehicle rules,

Well, what do you need those in fantasy game for?

gamesmastering & setting section in one book...

That's true, but D&D is much more detailed in those things. Besides: the real settings will be released as separate campaign settings, like the Urban Arcana Campaign Setting in May.

I have to disagree: Some of the Setting Material we have in D&D is extremely detailed, without any (or only very little) combat-related stuff in it. In the FRCS, for example, we have info on the calendar, every-day life in Faerûn, an abbreviated history of toril, geographics.... And seen the Silver Marches Sourcebook? Only a couple of Pages with combat-oriented material (e.g. feats, spells, prestige classes), and much more info on the lay of the land, politics, the big cities, even what plants you can find there.

Before anyone thinks that I hate d20M: On the contrary. I like the setting very much. But I don't think it's better than D&D, or worse: it's different! Both have their focus (fantasy or modern, respectively) and are good at it. But I doubt that d20M will spell the doom of D&D. I think D&D will remain the most popular d20 game.

Remove ads