"Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance" or "Dungeons & Dragons: The Movie"?

Goodsport

Explorer
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I haven't finished playing Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance on my PS2 yet, although I've just entered Act III (the final Act of the game). It may just be me, but for some reason it seems that the story and plot, as well as the voice-acting, in BG: DA is better than what was in Dungeons & Dragons: The Movie. :confused:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Can anyone else here also confirm that, or is it just my imagination? After all, wasn't the D&D Movie a Hollywood production, and wouldn't it normally have the bigger budget for a quality production (although I can honestly say that BG: DA is a good production in its own right)?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp And on a side-note: if you had to choose between playing BG: DA or watching the D&D Movie (with those being your only two choices), which one would you choose? :)

-G

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I just entered the water stair in BG: DA. Its paper-thin story is far, far better than the D&D movie's, and the voice acting is better as well in several cases. More importantly, the pacing and the exciting plot climaxes are MUCH better in the game! I've logged 15 hours of the game and look forward to more; I wouldn't want to see the D&D movie again on a dare. :)

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
Geez, the D&D movie was pants, but it wasn't that bad. :rolleyes:

If the choice was play BG:DA for the same amount of time that the D&D movie lasts, I'd pick the game, seeing as I haven't played it yet and it'd be fun to try it. If the choice is to finish watching the movie or finish the game, I'd definitely go with the movie. It's been many a year since a console game has held my interest for very long, and I couldn't even remain interested in the original BG long enough to even get to Balder's Gate.

Harlequin

First Post
too true :)

Enforcer said:
I'd rather play Dark Alliance, and I don't even have a PS2...D&D Movie=worst movie ever.

I would'nt say worst movie ever, but definatly a B grade effort :)

Id rather play DA as well and i dont own a PS2 as well...

Anyone know if this game will be released for PC?
I dont want to buy a PS2 just to play one game ;)

Harlequin

Last edited:

Metus

First Post
Goodsport said:
And on a side-note: if you had to choose between playing BG: DA or watching the D&D Movie (with those being your only two choices), which one would you choose?

I would rather have hot pokers shoved into my eyes while being shot and thrown off a cliff then have to watch that movie again. But since that isn't one of the choices, I'd say BG: DA. Was sorely disappointed with that game, however. The fact that it was a Diablo clone was bad enough, but not being able to pick any standard race/class? Pfft. Gimme some quality BG 2 any day of the week.

Black Omega

First Post
I've been entertained by B movies before. the DnD movie is not on that level.:) So BG doesn't need to be all that great to get me more interested.

Zappo

Explorer
BG:DA? I liked it. I haven't finished it yet, but I will in a few days.

Negative note: it says on the back of the box that it 'follows D&D 3rd edition rules'. Of course, that's an outright lie.

By the way, is it just me or is the sorceress a bit weak? The burning hands and magic missiles are totally useless, because most enemies can take ten of them and still breathe (you'd better just hack at them with whatever weapon you've got). The fireball practically can't be used in team with the dwarf, because you'll hit him more often than the enemies, and is very tricky to use in general. I've just got the meteor shower, and it rocks, but I wonder if it will still rock when I meet tougher monsters, since it cannot be improved. Besides, the idea that I have to get the most powerful spell at mid-game just to stay on par with the other classes (my friend playing a dwarf got the nastiest weapon sold in act 2, and boy if it hurts)... anyone suggesting some tactics? I haven't tried the other spells yet, which ones don't deal damage to friends?

Oh, I haven't really understood what this has to do with the D&D movie, but I can say that it was bad, but far from the worst movie ever.

Remove ads