D&D 5E Keen Weapons in 5th Edition?

We are level 7 - the lose a limb part of the sword only applies after a second nat 20 so it doesn't matter what level you are.
I believe that he was pointing out that high level fighters will roll more natural ones than low level fighters.

The more attacks you make, the more chances for a natural one.

Kalshane

First Post
Right. The problem with any critical fumble system is that they more harshly penalize the people who are more-skilled with weapons (those making more attacks per round) than those who are not.

Also, the idea of someone seriously injuring themselves or an ally (or whatever "whacky" result is on the chart/card/whatever) 1 out of every 20 sword swings is pretty ridiculous.

I've occasionally clobbered myself while goofing around with a practice weapon, but never while using proper techniques with something I've actually been trained in. I've also never hit an ally on accident with a sword or spear. (Arrows into melee, on the other hand...)

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Right. The problem with any critical fumble system is that they more harshly penalize the people who are more-skilled with weapons (those making more attacks per round) than those who are not.
Well, no. It's a problem with ill-designed critical fumble systems. It's pretty easy to say "you can only fumble on your last attack" (because you don't want the fighter to lose more attacks than someone else if he drops his weapon), or make fumbles take higher attack rolls into account, or otherwise run the numbers such that it works out fine.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter

Keen Weapon
Any weapon that deals slashing or piercing damage, very rare (requires attunement)

You have a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls with this weapon.

When you attack with advantage, if the d20 result on both dice is high enough to indicate a hit, then you roll an extra weapon damage die when rolling damage.

- It's not a crit; it's an extra weapon damage die, which is equivalent of a crit, but doesn't trigger crit-related powers, nor double any other dice, like sneak attack or smite.
- It's when you double-hit with advantage, which encourages the wielder to seek advantage. I like items that encourage you to behave differently in order to use them most effectively. Seeking advantage also fits well with rogues, who are traditionally great beneficiaries of keen weapons.

Kalshane

First Post
Well, no. It's a problem with ill-designed critical fumble systems. It's pretty easy to say "you can only fumble on your last attack" (because you don't want the fighter to lose more attacks than someone else if he drops his weapon), or make fumbles take higher attack rolls into account, or otherwise run the numbers such that it works out fine.

The problem is most fumble systems aren't well designed. The vast majority of stories I've heard over the years are of the "I rolled a one and accidentally chopped my own head off" variety. The special "Fumble Decks" you can buy seem especially guilty of this sort of thing.

When we were younger everyone I played with used fumbles, but they were of the "you drop your sword" or "you fall down" variety. We stopped when we realized the math made it unduly punishing to characters with more attacks.

All that being said, I sort of use fumbles in the games I run. If you have Disadvantage and roll double ones (on any d20 roll: be it attack, ability check or save) then "something bad happens" that's tied to what's going on in the scene. It won't cause damage (at least beyond any damage that would already be taken from a failed check) or any other permanent harm but it might impose a setback or possibly even a condition for a round. (And I realize this goes against my previous argument that high level fighters shouldn't have a greater chance to fumble, but it's such a rare event considering PCs go out of their way to negate Disadvantage and it requires both dice to come up a 1 that it's a non-issue.) But in any case, it's framed as the character having a bad stroke of luck in an already tenuous situation (since they have Disadvantage) rather than the highly-skilled swordsman suddenly developing a case of the dropsies.

Remove ads