BG - RPG Crossover: How many Boardgames do you own?

How many Boardgames do you own?

• 0 Boardgames

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-10 Boardgames

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • 11-25 Boardgames

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • 26-50 Boardgames

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • 51-100 Boardgames

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • 101-200 Boardgames

• 201-300 Boardgames

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 301+ Boardgames

• Poll closed .

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
I like Euros well enough, but I know what Umbran is saying about the style... Its certainly not for everyone. There is a certain mathy puzzleness to most of them.

Let's agree that those games are one part of the spectrum, okay? :) If you're looking at games from Uwe Rosenberg or - in many cases- Friedemann Friese you might encounter games that quickly turn into work. On the other and opf the spectrum you find games like Piranha Pedro or Ausreißer with a rather limited effect of plans.

Though, if by Arabian Nights, you mean "Tales of the Arabian Nights," thats not really what I would consider a Euro - its more of a storytelling game. And "Modern Art" is an auction game, isn't it? Also out of print and hard to get I believe. :)

Yes, Rainer Kinizia's Modern Art is an auction game with the twist of the auctioned item determining how this auction works. It has been published in 1992 and re-printed by a different publisher with different grafics in 2009. It isn't hard to find in Germany. By the way, we'll try to sell our copy next weekend at the Ratinger Spieletage, demanding 8-10 Euro for it. Mayfair's American version runs for 18.72 Euros.

Interesting that [MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION] gives it a heads-up: it's one of the more atypical Knizia games. The author normally has the inclination to introduce some weird rules elements, especially for scoring, throwing a wrench into an otherwise simple game, thus introducing the dreaded puzzleness. Modern Art plays straight on with only the different auction mechanisms making planning harder.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Sounds like what you want then are fillers. Things to play over the course of 15-20 minutes while waiting for everyone to show up.

No, we don't usually have a wait problem. We've occasionally used games as an option when someone has to cancel at the last minute, to fill the evening.

Of late, a few of us have taken a liking to Sentinels of the Multiverse, and will get together for an evening playing that game.

Out of curiosity, have you tried Ticket to Ride?

Maybe once, years ago. Not such that I remember it today, other than knowing it is a train-themed network building game.

Wicht

Hero
Let's agree that those games are one part of the spectrum, okay? :) If you're looking at games from Uwe Rosenberg or - in many cases- Friedemann Friese you might encounter games that quickly turn into work. On the other and opf the spectrum you find games like Piranha Pedro or Ausreißer with a rather limited effect of plans.

I agree personally that some are more mathy than others. There are those that are like working a spreadsheet and then there are those that are simple resource management. I like both ends of the spectrum myself. But I can see the complaint.

Interesting that [MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION] gives it a heads-up:.
That was not Umbran. :)

But Modern Art is not available in the States at the moment that I am aware of, except on Ebay. Neither Amazon nor Coolstuff carry it.

Wicht

Hero
Maybe once, years ago. Not such that I remember it today, other than knowing it is a train-themed network building game.

Its really a set collection game, but you use the sets to lay trains on a board, and it does have a very shallow learning curve and wide appeal. I have yet to teach it to any group who did not take to it, gamers and non-gamers alike. And its probably my favorite boardgame, if I had to pick a boardgame.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
That was not Umbran. :)

Please pardon my negligigence, [MENTION=27160]Balesir[/MENTION]!

But Modern Art is not available in the States at the moment that I am aware of, except on Ebay. Neither Amazon nor Coolstuff carry it.

I was just going by the Ebay listing. Well, if you happen to come to Germany tis year, maybe for the Spiel? :cool: I'll gladly give our copy to you as a persent.

Crothian

First Post
I just counted and I own 45. That's more then I need and over Christmas I did give away about a dozen or so. I hopefully will be able to get rid of more of them this year.

Vymair

First Post
I currently own 55 board games. I played board games quite a bit through my early life but fell away from them about the time the modern board game market really emerged with Settlers.

About 3 years ago, one of our new role playing game buddies reintroduced us to modern board games with Pandemic and Small World and I caught the bug. Since then, I've been playing quite a bit of both RPGs and boardgames and have made some boardgaming only friends. I enjoy both equally. If I had to pick one, I'd go board games due to the easier setup/playtime and that it's easier to find board gamers vs good RPG players. My core gaming group all met through playing RPGs, so that is and will remain the core of how we spend our time.

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
Counting expansions, as well, I own over 100 board games. I've been an avid boardgamer before I started playing RPGs, playing mostly abstracts and 'family games'. Then RPG's occupied almost all of my 'gaming time'. However, for the last 5-10 years since we only manage to meet about once a month (or less) to play RPGs, I've started playing boardgames regularly again. In particular I enjoy cooperative board games since they can be played solo, as well. So, my collection has grown a lot, buying a new game a month on average. These new board games are mostly 'thematic games' like 'Arkham Horror' and the 'D&D Adventure System' games.

At the same time I almost stopped playing computer games, except for one or two favorites, like Diablo 3. I used to be quite active when I was still at school, playing almost every CRPG that was released for my machine. I even played an MMORPG for a while.

Remove ads