D&D 5E Dual wielding and improvised weapons. Technically broken?

Sezarious

Explorer
Hi all. Another question here, or rather, I'll tell you my theory on something and am curious to see what others think...Hi all. I was looking at the feats and I noticed the dual wielder feat and started flicking through the book to a couple of things.I read the rules on proficiency, improvised weapons, dual wielding and shields and I found that technically, the only thing preventing a shield from being classified as an improvised weapon in a characters offhand is that it does not have the 'light' category (and of course it wouldn't, because it isn't considered a weapon in the equipment section)

Strictly following the rules, I don't see why a 1st level human fighter with variant rules and the dual wielder feat would not have suddenly turned their shield into an improvised offhand weapon. Furthermore, under the dual wielder feat, there is nothing that specifies a weapon cannot be an improvised weapon for the purpose of gaining the +1 bonus to AC. At lower levels, this is very powerful, because suddenly a 1st lv fighter in chain mail not only can have an AC of 19 (or 20 with the defense fighting style) but also gains the benefit of an offhand attack (even if it is without prof bonus and only 1d4, maybe + damage mod depending on fighting style).

The strongest argument against this working, would be the question as to whether an improvised weapon is ONLY an improvised weapon for the purpose of attacking, OR if it is classified more broadly. In the equipment section, it would appear the classification is broad. Page 147 PHB "-An improvised weapon INCLUDES any object you can wield in one or two hands. Now put the above fighter in full-plate with the defense fighting style and you've got a two weapon fighter with AC of 22.

Additionally, let's now look at dual wielding javelins. On page 195 PHB under 2w fighting it states towards the bottom of the paragraph "-if either weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon instead of making a melee attack with it"Combine this with the dual wielder feat and take our above fighter. Get him to put away his sword and shield. Now he can draw 2 javelins as if he was drawing one, without spending an action or bonus action. He can suddenly make 2 ranged attacks per round at first level.

In fact, based on the rules, a commoner could make two thrown weapon attacks in a round and could continue to do so if he could only draw them quickly enough say via the use of the above feat if he were a human variant commoner.Even if a group of commoners didn't have this feat available, let's say they're rather savvy and resourseful. They find out their village is being attacked by orcs in the next few hours. Their hunters set out hunting traps and cover them in leaves. Hunters remain close by hidden on rooftops or in trees with bows at the ready. Other townsfolk mostly arm themselves with clubs and sickles but some might have a couple of javelins on them. Additionally, some have decided to cut up and weight some fishing nets to use at the start of combat. Some have grabbed flasks of oil in their offhand and some might be holding torches. Let's nickname these clever peons the netters, oilers and the burners.

If they are lucky enough to have initiative or smart and brave enough to prepare a reaction, a netter might get to act against a charging Orc first. If their net hits, suddenly they and every other commoner has advantage on their attacks against the Orc until it can break free. The oilers will get to roll with advantage to strike with their weapons and to hit with their flask and the burners will get advantage to all of their attacks. If everything followed in that order, the above mentioned commoners with base stats 10 would likely do 8 to 14 damage (2 sickle attacks + 1 torch attack + 5 fire damage). Add to this that the Orc has disadvantage to hit unless it breaks free (costing an action and either DC10 strength check or a dc10 attack at disadvantage, requiring 5 damage to be dealt to the net) and depending on initiative order, they may get another round of attacks.

What do people think about the above scenarios? Is all of the above appropriate and within the boundaries of the rules, is there something I'm missing or were the rules tweaked at all recently to prevent the above from happening? Thoughts?

Last edited:

PnPgamer

Explorer
Shield has been determined to be an improvised weapon, and it can be used as such when donned. I'd say you have done a good find and a spiffy use for dual wielder feat.
sage advice:
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/11/17/shield-attack/
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/02/12/shield-bash/
however, there are two flaws: Nobody is proficient with improvised weapons at the beginning and donning and doffing a shield might not fall under the dual wield feats effect of equip and unequip.

Welcome to forums. Could you please use paragraphing on your posts? This one looks like a huge wall of text.

Last edited:

indemnity

First Post
Pros of using a shield to attack
*+2AC from using a shield
*Uses a bonus attack action
*Disadvantage to attack unless taking feat Tavern Brawler
*1d4 damage (2.5 dmg average) (needs the fighting style dual weapon to add weapon modifier)

Pros of using two actual weapons
*+1AC for wielding two weapons
*No disadvantage
*1d8 damage (4.5 dmg average) with non-light weapons

tl;dr
Shield bash gets you +1AC/-2dmg/disadvantage on bonus attack.

Sezarious

Explorer
Pros of using a shield to attack
*+2AC from using a shield
*Disadvantage to attack unless taking feat Tavern Brawler
*1d4 damage (2.5 dmg average) (needs the fighting style dual weapon to add weapon modifier)

Pros of using two actual weapons
*+1AC for wielding two weapons
*No disadvantage
*1d8 damage (4.5 dmg average) with non-light weapons

tl;dr
Shield bash gets you +1AC/-2dmg/disadvantage on bonus attack.

Actually indemnity, as I was explaining before, with the dual wielder feat, the shield becomes +3 to AC/-2dmg/No proficiency bonus on bonus attack. So basically at level 1 it's only effectively -2 to hit with any weapon you aren't proficient in.

That's how i would rule it.

By that logic, if one were using the dual wielder feat with two actual weapons, would you say that the +1 to AC gained from using two weapons didn't apply to any round in which the off hand weapon was used to attack? That would make that feat benefit kind of worthless, turning the off hand weapon into just a poor shield.

Remove ads