NetFlix's DareDevil - Your thoughts?

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Does flash backs mean we have an origine story? We know the murder of Bruce Wayne's parents was filmed for Batman v Superman. Does it mean it will be a Batman origine story? If we have Superman's farmer dad in flash backs, it means it is an origine story?

DareDevil wasn't an origine story. It did contain flash backs that had to do with his origine though. What we have is a man who already is a superhero fighting crime. Usually origine stories are about wrestling with the new powers, the decision to become a superhero, etc. What he does is question how far he is willing to go. Seems like a theme for the second movie.

Sure he doesn't have his costume, but what we learned from Iron Man 3 is that it isn't the costume that makes the hero.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Does flash backs mean we have an origine story? We know the murder of Bruce Wayne's parents was filmed for Batman v Superman. Does it mean it will be a Batman origine story? If we have Superman's farmer dad in flash backs, it means it is an origine story?

DareDevil wasn't an origine story. It did contain flash backs that had to do with his origine though. What we have is a man who already is a superhero fighting crime. Usually origine stories are about wrestling with the new powers, the decision to become a superhero, etc. What he does is question how far he is willing to go. Seems like a theme for the second movie.

Sure he doesn't have his costume, but what we learned from Iron Man 3 is that it isn't the costume that makes the hero.

The flashback shows how he became blind, and later in the series its known that he had gained extra powers of perception, due to the chemicals that caused his blindness. So I think it is an origin story. As a boy, he pushed an old man aside from being hit by the truck and was hit himself. So yes, he showed a heroic tendency before the accident, but it is the accident that gives him his powers.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I am on ep 8 right now and I am going to guess this may show more of who fisk is by the reflection in the mirror.

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post

I disagree with almost everything you say here... it is very much Daredevil origin... if you think otherwise then there has never been a superman origin movie... or an X men origin movie... and only half of the Batman begins is origin...

Ryujin

Legend
I disagree with almost everything you say here... it is very much Daredevil origin... if you think otherwise then there has never been a superman origin movie... or an X men origin movie... and only half of the Batman begins is origin...

"Superman", 1978, starring Christopher Reeve. It starts on Krypton.

Kramodlog

The flashback shows how he became blind, and later in the series its known that he had gained extra powers of perception, due to the chemicals that caused his blindness. So I think it is an origin story. As a boy, he pushed an old man aside from being hit by the truck and was hit himself. So yes, he showed a heroic tendency before the accident, but it is the accident that gives him his powers.

And it is the death of Bruce Wayne's parents that drive him to become a superhero. It doesn't mean that a flashback of their deaths means we have an origine story.

Kramodlog

I'm not even sure what is are your arguments.

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
I'm not even sure what is are your arguments.

My argument is that batman begins, and Superman 1978 are normally considered origin stories, and the first episode or two of most TV shows... in this case the 13th show was still building to the daredevil revel that in both of those moves come about 1/2 way to 2/3 of the way through... if this isn't a origin then neither are those two movies....

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Just finished the episode with the end of Viktor. Opening titles remind me a lot of Hannibal, only with symbols of new york and red paint instead of blood splashing on faces.
Show reminds me a lot of Arrow, but without the well defined goal. For having so much of Manhattan destroyed, from Avengers Movie, there doesn't seem to be that much damage in the area shots.
It does seem like for someone who is supposed to know how to fight, a lot of the time he doesn't, and is only winning because he bulls through the pain. Should also be a lot more lasting damage from the injuries he gets.
Show seems to be OK.
Was surprised with the quality of D'Offrio as Kingpin--he really seems to pull it off well.
As for fitting in with the rest of Marvel, it really doesn't have the feel yet. Sure, they mention stuff, but it really doesn't feel like the same world at all.
Then again, DareDevil was never one of my favorite characters, but in spite of that this is watchable.

Kramodlog

My argument is that batman begins, and Superman 1978 are normally considered origin stories, and the first episode or two of most TV shows... in this case the 13th show was still building to the daredevil revel that in both of those moves come about 1/2 way to 2/3 of the way through... if this isn't a origin then neither are those two movies....

DareDevil is right there from the start of the 13 episodes. Except for the first 30 seconds. That is all the origine story we get really. The costume and name do not make the hero, the actions do. He's been kicking asses even before the series started. His decision was made already. His origine, a 30 second exposition.

Batman Begins... The name says it all. Origine story. Sups 1978? It has been a while, it is a lot less of an origine story than Batman Begins. We get some stuff at the beginning and then he is a hero. Very different from the last Superman movie.

Remove ads