NetFlix's DareDevil - Your thoughts?

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
I see a big difference in the way that shows like "The Flash" and "Arrow" tell the story, when compared to something like "Daredevil." From my point of view "Daredevil" uses drama fairly effectively. The CW shows are melodramas. When watching the CW shows I'm constantly wondering who is going to be staring longingly into who's eyes next, and what the next random hookup will be.

One characterization in "Daredevil" that I really like, is that of Wilson Fisk/Kingpin. He's more nuanced than the average villain. Is he aware of what he is doing or is he the villain, who thinks that he's the hero of the story? People are generally very good at justifying their own actions.

Fisk was by far the best part of daredevil, and as I said in my review he stole the show. However this year on arrow we have Ra s al ghul and Merlin and Amanda waller (the third one could do with some lighting of her grey) that all match that description.

Ryujin

Legend
Fisk was by far the best part of daredevil, and as I said in my review he stole the show. However this year on arrow we have Ra s al ghul and Merlin and Amanda waller (the third one could do with some lighting of her grey) that all match that description.

My eyes slide right off Ras al Ghul. As 'super' villains go, he's ordinary. Flat. When John Barrowman is on screen I see his far more interesting character, Captain Jack Harkness, instead of Malcolm Merlin. Amanda Waller is so uninteresting that I nearly didn't make the connection. I enjoy "Arrow" but it's mental bubblegum by comparison. No that "Daredevil" is MacBeth, or anything, but it's on a different level.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Finished watching DD, and (this may come as a shock to some) enjoyed it. Some eps are a little slow, but it is about someone working out the kinks in a plan to actually do something.

Arrow was great because he started with a plan from the get-go. The flashbacks told an origin quickly enough, but spaced it out to last... Though the interpretation of Black Canary didn't quite work for me (still better than what was done to her in Birds of Prey or Smallville).

The shows are way too different to say X is better than Y. I enjoy both.

To me, DD's downsides are fairly small. If NYC is so devastated by the events of Avengers, where is the damage? Where are the construction crews that should be working in most of the area shots? And, most importantly, were are the other characters who have already been shown to exist, many of whom live in NYC?
That said, this was well done enough for me to suspend my usually over-the-top inability to suspend disbelief.

Looking forward to the continuations of... just about every one of the current comic-book TV shows.

Janx

Hero
Finished watching DD, and (this may come as a shock to some) enjoyed it. Some eps are a little slow, but it is about someone working out the kinks in a plan to actually do something.

Arrow was great because he started with a plan from the get-go. The flashbacks told an origin quickly enough, but spaced it out to last... Though the interpretation of Black Canary didn't quite work for me (still better than what was done to her in Birds of Prey or Smallville).

The shows are way too different to say X is better than Y. I enjoy both.

To me, DD's downsides are fairly small. If NYC is so devastated by the events of Avengers, where is the damage? Where are the construction crews that should be working in most of the area shots? And, most importantly, were are the other characters who have already been shown to exist, many of whom live in NYC?
That said, this was well done enough for me to suspend my usually over-the-top inability to suspend disbelief.

Looking forward to the continuations of... just about every one of the current comic-book TV shows.

One thing I kept in mind is Hell's Kitchen is a certain sized area in NYC. I'm not sure how big, but I recall watching some NBC show about the irish mafia and hearing a mention that one of the characters had never been out of the neighborhood.

So I kind of think of Hell's Kitchen like that. These people are micro-focused on their part of the city, and don't consider the larger part of the city. Heck, even the KingPin is mostly only talking about/working in Hell's Kitchen.

For DD, imagine that part of that is because he doesn't have a car :)

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Hells Kitchen is about a dozen or so small blocks on Manhattan Island.
In real life, the tour buses are saying that the area is being gentrified into the top dining establishments. Doesn't work as much of a background for a super-hero comic, though.

It isn't uncommon for people to have not left their small neighborhood prior to WWII. Thus the argument that any Englishman could tell where any other Englishman came from by hearing about two sentences of the other talking.

Jhaelen

First Post
I see a big difference in the way that shows like "The Flash" and "Arrow" tell the story, when compared to something like "Daredevil." From my point of view "Daredevil" uses drama fairly effectively. The CW shows are melodramas. When watching the CW shows I'm constantly wondering who is going to be staring longingly into who's eyes next, and what the next random hookup will be.
Quoted for truth! I wouldn't have known how to phrase it, but that's a great example why I don't think either CW show is particularly good. Typically, I watch them while playing a video game or reading a novel. I don't consider them a complete waste of time, but they're just fast-food for me, nothing to get invested in.

Remove ads