D&D 5E Treantmonk's Guide to Wizards 5e

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
How often do you have clear LOS to see 240’ or 48 squares?

Depends on whether you think about your encounters as being on a standard 4ft table map or if you think about them as 240' is the average length of one city block in the Eastern US.

If I draw the encounter on the map, not often. If I think about the encounter as a common outdoor encounter, pretty often until people go running for cover.

Be well
KB

jgsugden

Legend
Did I miss how this works? The spells you are describing don’t harm the ally, so I wouldn’t allow them. It’s in the first sentence of the spell description, did that get changed in someway?
The first sentence I see is: "When you cast this spell, you inscribe a glyph that later unleashes a magical effect." The Spell Glyph has to target a single creature or an area. Beyond that, fair game. You can have a stick you break to give yourself Stoneskin. I personally like it as an emergency shield - Tiny Hut when you smash a small charm. We've used that to take a long rest in the middle of an ambush...

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
Tiny Hut when you smash a small charm. We've used that to take a long rest in the middle of an ambush...

You're lucky that the DM didn't rightly rule that a dome does not prevent anyone from digging under it or affecting the space beneath. Good luck with the long rest...

Be well
KB

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
I know whenever I'm ambushed my assailants are always carrying shovels.

Don't need a shovel in a fantasy realm where magic happens OR when the premise is that the ambushed are going to take a long rest and they've turned the ambush into a siege. Give me 8 hours and a tent sized dome and I'll get under it.

A few things:

Unless you have something like a Spell Gem or a Tome of the Stilled Tongue, you can't use Glyph of Warding with 9th level spells. A huge shame. But if you can finagle one of those, you get Wish and True Polymorph and Foresight as options, which hugely increases your options.

Enhance Ability - It would be a very good choice, but it's not on the wizard spell list unfortunately.
Magic Weapon - Not legal, the spell glyph must target a single creature or an area.
Spider Climb - Not a bad choice, but generally not really worth a 3rd and 2nd-level spell slot and the 200 gp.
Protection from Elements - Good party buff if you know you're facing a certain kind of effect and people are willing to chip in the money.
Polymorph - Good if you just want to turn a party member into a T-Rex or Giant Ape, but loses luster over time.
Anti-Life Shell - Self-targeted, unfortunately, so would just protect the glyph.
Control Winds - Range limitations, problems with control since it's the glyph doing it.
Mislead - Self-range, unfortunately.
Find the Path - Self-range.
Move Earth - Range limitations, so slow it's a downtime spell anyway.
Conjure Celestial - It's okay for guarding a specific area, but since the glyph is the one controlling it good luck getting it to do anything complex. If your DM will let you get away with a set of instructions of 'follow the orders of anyone wearing the Symbol of the Dark Crow', then it becomes VERY good (and possibly game-breaking).
Anti-Magic Field - Self-range.
Control Weather - This is a good spell in downtime if there's a specific weather condition you want and you have enough time to change your spell slot. But it's not that big of a deal. Extra damage for Call Lightning? Sleet Storm you can't really control? I don't know.
True Polymorph - Too high level without magical items.

Don't need a shovel in a fantasy realm where magic happens OR when the premise is that the ambushed are going to take a long rest and they've turned the ambush into a siege. Give me 8 hours and a tent sized dome and I'll get under it.
This is a terrible idea. The people inside the hut can just light them up with ranged weapon attacks while they're trying to work.

In fact, trying to attack people inside of a Tiny Hut is just a terrible idea in general. Unless you're doing a Zerg Rush where the purpose is to prevent the PCs from resting by having waves of disposal minions throw away their lives in wacky schemes, you're just safer waiting outside of ranged weapon range and waiting for the barrier to go away normally.

Stalker0

Legend
How often do you have clear LOS to see 240’ or 48 squares?

IRL all the time, Thsts just 80 yards, plenty of open areas have thst.

In game, not often. It’s usually too annoying to setup encounters st thst distance, and extremely boring for melee focused characters. It’s times like that i miss the run action

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
This is a terrible idea. The people inside the hut can just light them up with ranged weapon attacks while they're trying to work.

In fact, trying to attack people inside of a Tiny Hut is just a terrible idea in general. Unless you're doing a Zerg Rush where the purpose is to prevent the PCs from resting by having waves of disposal minions throw away their lives in wacky schemes, you're just safer waiting outside of ranged weapon range and waiting for the barrier to go away normally.

1. Conjure Earth Elemental under the hut. Let it go up and cause havoc.
2. Hut is 10' diameter. Map that out and tell me how many ranged attacks are going to be disadvantaged once a party digs under.
3. Building on 2, due to space limitations, once the 10th person enters the hut, it disappears, or when the first large sized creature enters it.. see earth elemental.

The trick is going under the hut though as magic can't be cast through it. However, it's not so hard or risky if the right type of attacker is the first thing through. Leave the other wimpier things outside.

Be well
KB

Remove ads