D&D 5E Treantmonk's Guide to Wizards 5e

smbakeresq

Explorer
Maybe it makes them slightly less useful, but Flaming Sphere "ignites flammable objects not being worn or carried" so as long as it's not in an area where nothing can catch on fire... Should still work in most outdoor environments, inside buildings with any wooden parts, caverns with moss or fungi or lichens, and so forth. There is probably something flammable in most environments (except maybe the artic and certain very clean dungeons with no detritus or wooden frames).

But you'll usually know ahead of time what kind of environment you'll be in and so you'll be able to prepare accordingly. I dunno. I guess they are less useful, but they're not totally nerfed.

It becomes more important to make those knowledge checks and scouting runs to see where the torches, candles, lava, etc is in an environment. That benefits a smart group.

Quartz

Hero
The real value of Glyph of Warding is not as a trap but as a buff spell that duplicates your concentration.

Glyphs of Warding - both protective and offensive - should be everywhere in a wizard's home so they can be easily activated. Indeed, activating a GoW could be a Lair Action.

Consider also the floor trap: the wizard has a highly flammable carpet. The carpet covers numerous GoW. Burn the carpet and the floor becomes a huge trap. Even better if the ignition of the carpet is initiated by another GoW.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Glyphs of Warding - both protective and offensive - should be everywhere in a wizard's home so they can be easily activated. Indeed, activating a GoW could be a Lair Action.

Consider also the floor trap: the wizard has a highly flammable carpet. The carpet covers numerous GoW. Burn the carpet and the floor becomes a huge trap. Even better if the ignition of the carpet is initiated by another GoW.

That’s the purpose. It’s not for the players to use, at for the DM to use for his wizards. Several spells are in the PHB for that purpose, so their is a reason for them when the DM uses them.

As a DM if you are running the players into a wizards tower you better have Glyphs everywhere, Guards and Wards running, etc.

I like the idea of the flammable carpet. I used the glyph on the floor before, but covered with dust of sneezing and choking. Gust of wind blows the dust all over the PCs and also uncovers the glyph at the same time as the PC begin the final confrontation.

Quartz

Hero
I like the idea of the flammable carpet.

Yes, it has the benefits of durability and safety.

I used the glyph on the floor before, but covered with dust of sneezing and choking. Gust of wind blows the dust all over the PCs and also uncovers the glyph at the same time as the PC begin the final confrontation.

Nasty! Consider it stolen!

gyor

Legend
I don't get why people think Fog Cloud is good, Silent Image makes it almost completely redundant. And the best part is, people can't touch fog anyway, making it almost impossible to disbelieve.

Oh, and have you looked at the Elemental Evil spells yet?

Fog Cloud is immune to True Sight because its not an illusion, its real.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Fog Cloud is immune to True Sight because its not an illusion, its real.

It being real makes it very deadly with blindsight or tremorsense as those abilities make the Fog Cloud great cover to attack others from. If you can manage to get those abilities on yourself and then surround yourself with a Fog Cloud you will give many things trouble. For example, a white dragon can use its lair action to form such an effect and then see through some of it with its blindsight, I make the players in the effect turn around and not see the table and then describe their actions until they get out of the effect.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Yes, it has the benefits of durability and safety.

Nasty! Consider it stolen!

One of the worst screw jobs ever is in Die Vecna Die. A hallway with holes in the ceiling and floor and the trap is green slime comes from the ceiling, liquefied you, then you pored out through the floor so you there was nothing to raise dead or such.

Stormbrooke

First Post
Unless you're cheesing extra spell slots with Tome of the Stilled Tongue / Spell Gem abuse, it's surprisingly difficult to use Glyph of Warding. Pretty much the only buff out of the PHB that it's really good for is Stoneskin. Granted, that's a VERY good use (game-changing, really) but the combination of casting time and spell duration shuts out a lot of buffs. That said, it's a pretty overpowered combination and I wouldn't be springing it on all but the most killer DMs.

Agreed, you are looking for concentration buffs with an hour duration or longer. Stoneskin is a good one. Others:

Enhance Ability - bears = advantage on concentration checks
Magic Weapon
Spider Climb
Protection from elements
Polymorph
Stoneskin
Anti-life shell
Control Winds
Mislead
Find the path
Move Earth
Conjure Celestial
Anti-Magic Field
Control Weather
True Polymorph

smbakeresq

Explorer
The real value of Glyph of Warding is not as a trap but as a buff spell that duplicates your concentration. Place a buff spell that requires concentration and has a long duration into the glyph and have you or an ally set it off. The hour casting time and 100 gp cost will limit it's use to only a few situations but when you can use it it's worth it.

As written, when you take damage there is no concentration check either, the ward maintains the concentration for the duration of the spell.

It makes the decision to take a short rest more interesting, do you benefit from resting or do you cast Glyph of Warding instead?

Did I miss how this works? The spells you are describing don’t harm the ally, so I wouldn’t allow them. It’s in the first sentence of the spell description, did that get changed in someway?

Remove ads