D&D 5E 8th level Paladin Warlock questions

I'm creating a new 8th level character: a multiclassed Paladin (Oath of the Ancients) / Warlock (Fey/Blade Pact), and have a couple of questions about how to build this best.

1) What combination of levels? There are pros and cons for each of these:

• Paladin 5 / Warlock 3 (Most spell slots, if I'm doing this right, extra attack)
  • Paladin 4 / Warlock 4 (Two feats, only one attack)
  • Paladin 3 / Warlock 5 (Third level warlock spells, thirsting blade, fewest spell slots)

2) I'm not sure how many spell slots I get with each of the above. How does that work, exactly?

Minsc

Explorer
IMHO, I'd suggest 6 levels of paladin. Adding CHA to your saves is amazing.

I don't know enough about the warlock to suggest stuff for one.

IMHO, I'd suggest 6 levels of paladin. Adding CHA to your saves is amazing.

I don't know enough about the warlock to suggest stuff for one.

I've pretty much got my mind set on 1) getting Pact of the Blade, and 2) getting Oath of the Ancients. So both classes will have a minimum level of 3. However, I agree that 6th Paladin level is awesome. It'll probably be the first level-up I take after I begin playing this character.

Minsc

Explorer
I've pretty much got my mind set on 1) getting Pact of the Blade, and 2) getting Oath of the Ancients. So both classes will have a minimum level of 3. However, I agree that 6th Paladin level is awesome. It'll probably be the first level-up I take after I begin playing this character.
Then I'd do Paladin 5/Warlock 3. Combat is big with this build and that extra attack is important.

Then I'd do Paladin 5/Warlock 3. Combat is big with this build and that extra attack is important.

You can also get the extra attack with Paladin 3 / Warlock 5; the Thirsting Blade invocation is available at that level. However, once you've got the extra attack from the Paladin class, you can save that invocation slot when you reach Warlock 5, so that's good too.

spinozajack

Banned
Banned
Plenty of worthy warlock invocations if you get the extra attack from the paladin side.

A variant human with polearm master at first level for the second attack + OAs, then level to 2 as paladin (min maxer would take AC bonus, instead of great weapon fighting style, but +1 AC is rather boring), then 5 warlock.

Although your smites are only from your paladin spell slots, and smite damage is a large reason to play a paladin in the first place. Picking only 2 levels of paladin gets you cure wounds which is definitely useful for a warlock. Can you use your warlock slots on your paladin spells? I believe you can.

Plenty of worthy warlock invocations if you get the extra attack from the paladin side.

A variant human with polearm master at first level for the second attack + OAs, then level to 2 as paladin (min maxer would take AC bonus, instead of great weapon fighting style, but +1 AC is rather boring), then 5 warlock.

Although your smites are only from your paladin spell slots, and smite damage is a large reason to play a paladin in the first place. Picking only 2 levels of paladin gets you cure wounds which is definitely useful for a warlock. Can you use your warlock slots on your paladin spells? I believe you can.

There's been a clarification from WOTC (I'll find it if asked) that yes, MC'd Paladin/Warlocks can smite using all their spell slots, including the warlock spell slots. And yes, that's major benefit: smite can be renewed w/a short rest.

Gretkatillor

First Post
2) I'm not sure how many spell slots I get with each of the above. How does that work, exactly?

As I understand it, the warlock's spell slots are an exception in that they are calculated separately when multiclassing (normally you add the effective caster level of each spellcasting class and use the table on page 165). In effect, you simply add up the slots. A paladin 5/warlock 3 would have 4 level 1 slots (all paladin) and 4 (2 paladin, 2 warlock) level 2 slots. 2 of the level 2 slots are the warlock's and therefore recovered after a short rest.

Remove ads