D&D 5E [D&D 5E] Dominions

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
One thousand years ago, Earth was devastated by a war with the Dragon Empire and the unleashing of magic upon the world. Civilization was wiped out, natural disasters wrought destruction across the globe.

On the west coast of North America, Blackmoor has made a rapid rise to power thanks to the discovery of a section of the Dragon Empire's crashed capital ship.

On the east coast, people are no quite so fortunate. Only now are the descendants of survivors beginning to join together in something more than tiny pockets and roaming tribes. Now is a time of exploration, conquest, and opportunity. Warlords and would-be kings vie for power and control of key strategic territories while scavengers plunder the ruins of the old world, selling rare pieces of ancient technology to those with enough coin.

Welcome to my latest PbP, set in the same world and time period as The Fall of Blackmoor (and the same overall setting as T1, B1, and Exodus).

While Blackmoor and the elves go to war on the west coast, new kingdoms and nations are forming on the east coast. Player characters will have the opportunity to earn power, land, prestige, and titles. First, you will need to secure allies, followers, troops, and other resources through adventuring, raids, and conquest.

Character Creation

27 Point Buy for ability scores.
Starting Level: 1.
Starting Equipment: by class and background or via rolling for starting wealth on page 143 of the Player's Handbook.
Most races, classes, and backgrounds are available except Dragonborn, which do not exist, yet, in this setting.
There are no gods; Clerics gain their power through devotion to one of the saints associated with the fledgling religion known as the Healing Light (the saints include most of the Greyhawk gods - Cuthbert, Pelor, Heironeous, etc, but existing as elevated mortals instead of gods and still walking the world rather than dwelling on the planes).

In addition to gaining levels, Experience Points may be "spent" to gain NPC followers (see Appendix B of the Monster Manual for the various types available). For example, a Cleric could decide to spend 50 XP to gain an Acolyte as a follower. Living expenses for these followers must be paid for as well. They come with any equipment listed in their entries but PCs may provide them with better equipment as desired. Hirelings may be acquired through gold expenditure alone, though hirelings will be less loyal than followers gained through XP. Followers may be any race available to PCs; hirelings are generally human unless the player character has managed to find another source of hirelings through roleplaying and events in the campaign.

The campaign begins in the coastal fishing village of Riversmeet (where Raleigh, NC used to be). Riversmeet is, thus far, independent of the various warlords and wandering raiders, ruled by a council of elders who have negotiated various protection pacts in exchange for supplying provisions (usually in the form of dried fish). The pacifist philosophy of the elders is rapidly becoming impossible to maintain in a violent world.

The action and motivation of this campaign will be largely driven by the PCs - their ambitions and quests for power will provide the fuel that keeps the campaign going, so create your characters appropriately.

Fuselage

First Post
Hey there, I'm new to PbP but am currently working on a Noble (Knight) Fighter (Battlemaster) that specializes in archery and defending the common folk while seeing to the needs of his retainers.

Fuselage

First Post
I think somebody cast Ghost Sound, because I've been hearing crickets ever since I posted...or were those actually crickets? My character doesn't have very high perception.

industrygothica

Adventurer
I find it difficult to pass up one of your games. I have no concept currently in mind, but I'll come up with something if you'll have me. Maybe a warlock? I don't know.

-IG

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
I can see a drow bard in the making... :) From what I gather, I can fill in a lot of details about what drow life was like before the whole exile-from-the-surface thing, right? I mean in the day-to-day affairs, not evil (yet) but perhaps the basics of somewhat competitive family houses, matriarchy-based society.

Last edited:

Remove ads