Your relationship with social media

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
As an anti-fraud measure, in the case of a car accident, the victim cannot deliver their own records to the insurance company. The victim's hands can't touch the records, lest they be tampered with to make the accident injuries look worse than they actually were.

That makes perfect sense to me. I was just trying to get disability and that does not apply to what I did, I guess. My Lawyer was quite appreciative of my actions.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
There are a lot of absurd inefficiencies in the American medical system, from a lot of different causes:

1) InsCon procedures that cause them to question payment for established routine treatments they had previously approved...usually a cyclical behavior
2) InsCon procedures that cause them to send out physical checks for amounts so small- as little as $0.01- it costs the InsCon, bank, postal service, and doctor EACH more to process than the check is worth.
3) InsCon procedures that cause them to pay out frivolous malpractice claims and cap coverage for defending against legitimate claims
4) Lawyers who have mastered the art of the frivolous claim
5) Health care providers' over competition for patients leading to over investment in equipment or physical plant, as well as improper billing practices
6) State-level as opposed to national regulation & licensing of health care professionals and InsCons.

All of these- and more- lead to very real economic costs measurable in dollars spent, man-hours lost, and even more serious negative patient outcomes.

I fixed it for you Danny

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hehe.

I have a love-hate relationship with insurance companies. Good ones- or more accurately- good policies- can be a godsend. And of course, being improperly insured can be a nightmare.

Last year, a friend of ours lost her sister-in-law to a single-car accident. She fell asleep at the wheel crashed, was airlifted to the hospital and didn't make it. The family later found out that the care flight air-ambulance service was NOT covered by insurance, and cost $15k. Apparently, most insurance companies doesn't cover that kind of service- it is usually only available directly from the service providers, for something like $50-100/year. There are 2 companies that provide air-evac in Dallas, so that would be $100-200 per annum.

Now, the odds of you NEEDING that service are slim. But $15k is a big financial hit for most families. ESPECIALLY when the person needing the service is a breadwinner. (For the record, our family is still debating the value of said insurance.)

My main problem with InsCos comes from the games they play, both with customers and service providers. I was reviewing a HMO or PPO contract for my Dad a few years ago- they had all the statutory language about how they would process patient claims within X period of time, etc. However, there was NO clause stating when a claim would be paid after it was approved. IOW, by the terms of the contract, they could process and approve the claim, and drag their heels indefinitely on actually paying him for services rendered. I told him to sign it only if he got an express payment clause included.

There's also the issue of how they interfere with actual patient care by their approval or non-approval of treatments, down to specific brands of medications. My Mom is unusually sensitive to the additives in pharmaceuticals. Her InsCo insisted she be switched her from a name-brand to a generic of a particular med....and she experienced side effects that made the doctors think she had Lou Gherig's disease. It took months of fighting for her MDs to convince the InsCo that their bottom-line bean-counting was killing their patient.

Jhaelen

First Post
What is your relationship with online social media? Are you all in all the time with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, discussion forums, etc.? Or are you a social media hermit?
Currently, I'm a social media hermit. I used to have an account in a national social network but since it's been killed by Facebook I'm nowhere to be found - excepting a bunch of fora.

Oh, and I have dozens of online accounts...

Kaodi

Hero
I am 31 and I do not trust online banking. Hell, I do not even trust depositing cash into a bank machine.

I use Twitter every day, by way of their Tweetdeck app. I am much into politics and such, and I follow a tonne of journalists. I also follow a lot of celebrities though. I find Internet celebrities tend to post the most and talk with people the most, which makes sense. And then you get some guys like Bill Shatner who do not know the meaning of the word "spoiler" . That guy is a big TV buff these days. There might be some narcissism involved, but at the end of the day you are just talking to other people. I assume all of you that pooh-pooh such frivolities are not all anti-social introverts, no matter the stereotype of gamers.

Remove ads