Big Trouble in Little China....being re-made....ARRRRRRRRR

Ryujin

Legend
Redoing the movie is one thing but The Rock?!? He is Not the character I would use. What made the movie was how out of his depth the main character was. The Rock looks like he can handle anything. Eh..... DVD rental.

That's a very good point. The best thing about the movie was Jack Burton being towed around through situations, that he had no reference for. Completely out of his element and a character of pure bluster. I don't see The Rock playing that guy.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
That's a very good point. The best thing about the movie was Jack Burton being towed around through situations, that he had no reference for. Completely out of his element and a character of pure bluster. I don't see The Rock playing that guy.

Which brings up the point who will be playing the role of Wang Chi? BTiLC was an Asian movie in cast, will the re-make be the same?

Morlock

Banned
Banned
Mildly curious and/or optimistic about the remake. Yes, it'll probably be awful, but the Rock is a charming and funny actor, and the screenwriters did X-Men: First Class, which was a clever, entertaining blockbuster.

There's one thing a remake has in its favor: at least US audiences are more familiar now with the Asian martial arts films the Big Trouble referenced. At the time, Carpenter and company did an American version of a (sub)genre that was relatively new in its native Hong Kong and basically unknown here.

Of course, the huge strike against it is the original was so idiosyncratic and the writing was so good it's hard to imagine the remake will avoid flattening out all of it's charm, or worse, simply repeating the many, many wonderful lines of dialogue.

Yeah, I don't see the modern suits reproducing Carpenter's lightning in a bottle. Plus, it was the 80s. Ghostbusters, Buckaroo Banzai, Big Trouble in Little China...some things just don't translate. Hell, I was there, and it still kinda doesn't compute for me.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
There's one thing a remake has in its favor: at least US audiences are more familiar now with the Asian martial arts films the Big Trouble referenced. At the time, Carpenter and company did an American version of a (sub)genre that was relatively new in its native Hong Kong and basically unknown here.

Actually I count audience savvy as one of the disadvantages of the remake. The whole point of the original is that we were as clueless as Jack and were being taken on the same exotic ride. Now that the audience is more informed about the references and the genre it becomes less of a fun ride and more of an exploration of thematic styles. Thats a huge challenge for the film makers especially when put alongside the idiosyncrasies of the story.

I like the Rock as an actor, he mixes action and comedy well but BTiLC was the one of the perfect Three Storms of 80s-ness and I don't think it can be repeated. A similar story today or even the ongoing adventures of Jack Burton, Truck Driver but not a remake...

Ryujin

Legend
Actually I count audience savvy as one of the disadvantages of the remake. The whole point of the original is that we were as clueless as Jack and were being taken on the same exotic ride. Now that the audience is more informed about the references and the genre it becomes less of a fun ride and more of an exploration of thematic styles. Thats a huge challenge for the film makers especially when put alongside the idiosyncrasies of the story.

I like the Rock as an actor, he mixes action and comedy well but BTiLC was the one of the perfect Three Storms of 80s-ness and I don't think it can be repeated. A similar story today or even the ongoing adventures of Jack Burton, Truck Driver but not a remake...

Yup, it was a SciFi fantasy martial arts gun-fu action comedy :D

Mallus

Legend
Plus, it was the 80s. Ghostbusters, Buckaroo Banzai, Big Trouble in Little China...some things just don't translate. Hell, I was there, and it still kinda doesn't compute for me.
I was there, too, in the Big Hair 'Nam! Graduated from high school in 1987. I miss the music, but not as many of the movies. I'm more of a 70s film guy -- Star Wars, Annie Hall, the all American auteur stuff.

That said, I think you remake all three of those films and do something interesting (like the all-female Ghostbusters I've seen mentioned). 1980s teen comedies though, that would be hard. And really is there anything left to say after Say Anything?

The whole point of the original is that we were as clueless as Jack and were being taken on the same exotic ride. Now that the audience is more informed about the references and the genre it becomes less of a fun ride and more of an exploration of thematic styles.
I can see that. But my take on BTiLC is that it quotes from a lot of sources, not just magic-heavy martial arts films, and it only gets better the more references you catch. Like the way it combines Kurt Russell doing a transparent John Wayne impression with dialog & delivery straight out of screwball comedy.

Remove ads