Feng Shui = Big Trouble in Little China the RPG

Calico_Jack73

First Post
In a horrible case of impulse buying which will for sure have my wife griping at me I just ordered Feng Shui from Amazon.

Anyway, Big Trouble in Little China is probably one of my all time favorite movies. After doing some research and reading the reviews I've come to the decision that Feng Shui is the perfect game to model the movie with.

If I can convince my group to give it a shot I'm thinking on picking up where the movie left off. Lo Pan has been destroyed and Jack Burton has his truck back. I'm thinking about introducing an old enemy of Lo Pan but this won't be an "enemy of my enemy is my friend" situation. The new enemy will be just as powerful and just as evil... perhaps Lo Pan tricked it into imprisonment and Lo Pan's death has released it.

Anyway, I'd love to hear some of the ideas that the folks here at ENWorld can come up with for my "Sequel" to Big Trouble in Little China.

Last edited:

Bagpuss

Legend
Anyway, I'd love to hear some of the ideas that the folks here at RPGBomb can come up with for my "Sequel" to Big Trouble in Little China.

Are you lost?

I have to agree Feng Shui is a good system to do a Big Trouble in Little China game.

As for the enemy who cursed Lo Pan to his immortal form? Wouldn't they be a little annoyed someone has gone and ended his immortal torment? Even if it was to kill him.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
It will really depend on who the PCs are. Are they playing the characters from the movie or not?

You could start it out like a horror movie. Burton pulls into some small truck stop dive for some food. The other PCs are different characters that would be in this type of place. It's dark, there is s storm brewing. The lights go out and the phones die and whatever it was that climbed into Burton's truck is attacking and trying to kill everyone.

Once it dies you need a way to keep the characters together so maybe theree is a ancient map to a Himalayian temple tattooed on the things back or some other cliche to move the plot along.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
If it's an enemy's of Lo Pan, his body has possibly been imported to the US by a museum. The "fight ancient evil in the museum" is a little overdone, though.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
One thing I would say is that you need to make sure that PC's aren't, perhaps, as penalised for doing crazy stunts as it suggests in the rulebook (I think you're at -2 for pulling a standard stunt).

I've read of Robin Laws LiveJournal that he dislikes that rule, so I'd suggest dropping it. After all, you want the PC's to be doing AS MUCH CRAZY STUFF AS POSSIBLE in a Feng Shui game, so mechanically penalising them for it doesn't make much sense.

Oh, and involve the scenery. Lots and lots of things that break. Very important.

Oh, and guns. Lots of guns.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Anyway, I'd love to hear some of the ideas that the folks here at ENWorld can come up with for my "Sequel" to Big Trouble in Little China.

In general, for Feng Shui, it is often very cool to use local sites and landmarks for the action.

while P-cat said the fight with ancient evil in the museum was overdone, at a Boston Gameday some time ago, a Feng Shui game ran with a fight in the New England Aquarium. That building has some wonderful architectural features (like a big spiral ramp running through the entire building, circling a tall cylindrical seawater tank) that made for some excellent cinematics.

Calico_Jack73

First Post
It will really depend on who the PCs are. Are they playing the characters from the movie or not?

Nah... new characters. I was thinking that they might get brought into the game by listening to Jack Burton do his "Dark and stormy night" bit from the end of the movie. ;)

I'd probably skip the museum in favor of the private collection of some wealthy artifact collector. Might even be a way to bring a "Laura Croft" type into the game.

If it's new characters then I'd say you should pick up where Big Trouble left off but you only need the monster that was on Jacks truck. Jack arrives wherever you want the game to start because he is supposed to make a pickup/deliver there and the PC's begin by dealing with the monster - whether that means fighting it, following it, or running away from it. In any case that monster has an agenda - a widget to obtain, a place to get to, or a PC to capture. That then leads into the rest of your campaign.

Remove ads