Wherein we ask each other dialect questions we don't quite understand

Henry

Autoexreginated
The two most famous examples, I suppose, would be Anthony Hopkins and Tom Jones. Although the former doesn't always use it.

Oh, and Christian Bale. Who is Welsh, but when talking in a British accent oddly seems to have developed a Cockney accent instead.

I recently discovered the Anglophenia Youtube channel with Siobhan Thompson, and her examples of something like 17 UK regional dialects was pretty fun.

The 'knock-up' anecdote is one I've bizarrely heard from every American I've ever spoken to about dialects. I've never used or heard the term in any way except the "get pregnant" meaning, though I am aware of the alternate meaning.

I only know about the Shag because [MENTION=158]Henry[/MENTION] gave me a book about it at my first Gen Con. As you know, it means something very different over hear. If anyone says to you "fancy a shag?" they are not asking you to engage in a traditional Southern US dance. :)
I always get a smile at an old Holmes & Watson story that Doyle wrote, where in one scene Watson is awakened from sleep by an apologetic Holmes saying, "sorry to knock you up, Watson..." :)

And Russ, if you ever come to South Carolina, I'll be sure to take you to a Shagging lesson. :)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Way, way back in the day, I met a girl from England who invited me to "come round and knock me up sometime."

When I lived in a US port city, British military ships would port for a couple of days. The British sailors would flood the local nightlife. I remember they got a kick out some signs in front of the nightclubs:
"Come shag the night away with us."
"Shag contest Saturday night."

A few years ago, when visiting Sweden for work, I spent time with my Swedish and English coworkers. I taught them the meaning of "riding shotgun" and "calling shotgun."

Do our non-Americans here know why "knock up" is funny to Americans? Do you know the terms Shag and shotgun? Do our non-Southerners here know the Shag? (I bet few Southerners even know the Shag, nowadays.)

Bullgrit

We use to watch Scooby Doo waiting to hear someone yell "Scooby Shag Daphne!" - it never happened:(

then of course theres the different meaning of Fanny - even Fannypack makes me giggle. Worse still is a slap on the Fanny.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Do our non-Southerners here know the Shag? (I bet few Southerners even know the Shag, nowadays.)

Bullgrit

When I hear Shag or Shagging, I think of something dirty and it makes me want to giggle when I see something like "Shag contest Saturday night.

I didn't even know there WERE other definitions to the word shag...

Edit: I'm from Minnesota

Ryujin

Legend
The two most famous examples, I suppose, would be Anthony Hopkins and Tom Jones. Although the former doesn't always use it.

Oh, and Christian Bale. Who is Welsh, but when talking in a British accent oddly seems to have developed a Cockney accent instead.

I can't recall hearing Hopkins speak with a Welsh accent, though I suspect that he might affect a different accent when doing North American interviews. Tom Jones is one I'd forgotten about.

Ryujin

Legend
Hopkins' Welsh accent can be very faint.

That would make it harder for someone like me to detect it, almost certainly. Sort of like how a New Zealander's accent is patently obvious to an Aussie but not so much to someone from North America, unless they've been schooled in the differences.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
For the Americans, One thing I do want to know (hopefully without being controversial) is what is the difference between Hispanic and Latino?

Remove ads