Elite: Dangerous?

MarkB

Legend
I've been playing the PC version for around three months, and have enjoyed it a lot, though it's definitely still a work in progress.

It's definitely worth watching the training videos, and maybe a couple of starting-out Let's Plays beforehand (they'll both help with the steep initial learning curve and give you an idea whether it's the type of game for you), but once you've got the basics down, it's good fun progressing through the game and learning the more advanced things like power distribution and module priority management in order to get the most out of your ship.

Gameplay-wise, I've enjoyed playing in a bounty-hunter role, going after NPC pirates, and prior to the latest patch I had the most fun participating in Community Goals, which are large projects that many players can contribute to, with rewards based upon both level of participation and the goal's overall success.

The v1.3 patch which went live a few weeks ago has introduced some major gameplay revisions and enhancements, mostly positive.

The central concept, Powerplay, which pitches multi-system-spanning factions against each other, is keeping a lot of people entertained, but isn't my cup of tea - too many of the tasks that drive it are fetch-and-carry grinds, and there's currently no real in-game way for participants to rally and direct their efforts, leading to most of the organising being done out-of-game on forums.

However, the patch also completely overhauled the Bulletin Board missions system, making them more interesting, diverse and profitable, and that's where I've been having the most fun recently. As a combination smuggler/bounty-hunter/gunslinger it's great fun to pick up a selection of illicit-delivery, cargo-recovery, pirate-hunting and wanted-target-elimination missions, then just spend a couple of hours working through them in whatever order is most convenient.

I play in Open mode most of the time, but only occasionally interact with other players, and don't tend towards PvP. The game is entirely playable in Solo mode (though as a server-based game it still requires an internet connection). The PC version also has some large shared PvE private groups, particularly Mobius, in which you can interact co-operatively with other players without worrying about them attacking you.

It does feel like there's a lot still to be added to the game - I'm not sure it will ever be 'complete' simply by the nature of its setting - but as it stands it's fully playable and enjoyable.

Janx

Hero
it sounds cool, just at the moment, the xbox version seems to be lagging behind if it doesn't even have the bulletin board system (where jobs come from).

Jhaelen

First Post
I've been playing the heck out of the Amiga version back in the days. The botched sequel (Frontiers) made me wary of Elite:Dangerous... I always thought that Wing Commander: Privateer was more fun, anyway. I'll wait and watch/read more reviews before I invest any money in this.

Janx

Hero
Well, I just bought it, so it should be downloading to my xbox now...

maybe what few xboxxers of us can band together to figure this game out and have some fun...

Janx

Hero
I found some sites that are likely useful for Elite:

a wiki:
http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Elite_Dangerous_Wiki

The main forum site (which allegedly links to your account when you spin up the game):
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=29

Found this wordy, but educational video on getting started. Shows the basics of going somewhere and doing a mission.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rtajDGnqAo

Should get on tonight and run through the rest of the trainers and get into the game proper.

Janx

Hero
Well, I have found that the sound effects while i am running out of oxygen because I ran out of fuel about 12ls from a station are pretty cool..

Though it is a mystery why my ship blew up after I died. Why can't it just fade to black. I'm already out of fuel...

PS. don't go far from your station if you don't actually know where your going to get more gas.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I didn't get chance to play today. Last night, I was transporting an illegal cargo, and approached the destination station. Then saw the words "scan detected". I tried to get out of there as fast as I could, but the security systems destroyed me and my illegal cargo pretty quick.

Remove ads