A drink by any other name

I'm writing a bronze age fantasy novel, and in a bid to stay with the aesthetic of the era, I keep running into fun challenges of world-building. My latest: tea.

Tea is a beverage made from steeping leaves of the tea plant in hot water. There are numerous other types of plant you can steep in hot water to make a tasty infusion, but these days we often call all of them 'tea' even if there are no tea leaves in them. I recall in one episode of Man vs Wild while in some frozen northern area, Bear Grylls boiled water and tossed in pine needles just to make a warm drink.

But if you were reading a novel set in a region analogous to Mesopotamia, and someone ate lasagna or a hamburger, that would take you out of the narrative, right? If they ate chocolate or potatoes (new world plants), that might fly under the radar for some, but for me it would be immersion disrupting. Sure, it's a fantasy world, so I could say that in this 'fertile crescent' region maybe cocoa grows here natively, or whatever. Maybe some famous priest invented the hamburger, and it's just called whatever the Sumerian word for 'ground beef on a bun' is. (Gur-ab-sag-ninda means grind-cow-inside-baked-good.)

But if I have a couple characters meet up and one provides a friendly drink for the other, what would be within the bounds of immersion for you?

Water, obviously (though often it was not necessarily safe to drink). Beer existed, yes, as did wine. Potentially even some fruit juices. Milk. Fermented yogurt drinks.

But tea and coffee? If they were drinking 'boiled water with plant but not the tea plant,' what word would work but not feel awkward? Just use tea? 'Infusion' is weird. 'Brew' for me evokes beer, and sometimes coffee? Should I make up a word, introduce it casually early in the book, and then just treat it as normal from there on?

Like:

Farron accepted the cup, pausing to savor floral scents carried on the steam. It was stronger than the mila she could afford, made with dried leaves sailors brought from Otharil. She wondered if that field she had seen in front of her host's estate meant he actually grew his own mila plants here. If so, it was another reason to stay in the man's good graces.

What are your thoughts?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm pretty sure they make tea a bunch in LotR. I don't recall what terminology they use.

They have a tobacco analog--pipeweed is it?

I'm pretty sure they make tea a bunch in LotR. I don't recall what terminology they use.

They have a tobacco analog--pipeweed is it?
That's right, pipe-weed, and it's actually also referred to as tobacco directly a number of times. Complicating things slightly is that it doesn't really seem to act like tobacco (no-one seems addicted to it, for example, but pipe-smoking tobacco has always been extremely addictive), and LotR adopts the fictional framing that the books themselves are a story written by Bilbo, Frodo and Samwise, and what we're reading is presumably a translation of that.

This framing accounts for some of the oddly-modern idiom in LotR, like comparing the Smaug firework to "passing like an express train" - which means other stuff might be loosely translated.

Tolkien is also the origin-point for "serious" fantasy still having stuff like tea, tobacco, potatoes, and other "new world" items in a seemingly vaguely medieval Europe-esque society (fireworks too). Something a lot of later writers/worldbuilders have responded to in various ways.

@RangerWickett I think just using [plantname] tea is fine (as is a made up term that you use description to imply is that, of course) - whilst there was a time, when some readers might have been confused or un-immersed by tea being used that way, herbal teas/non-tea-plant teas are so extremely common now (as they were centuries ago as well) that I don't see it as likely to be an issue.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
If I were to use a different term, it would be tisane, as I discovered that word a few years ago and really like it- in I believe that in Middle English, it used to refer to teas made with, well, not tea (that is to say, not the leaf of the tea plant); it would be, for example, a peppermint or chamomile tisane).

I actually have a set of magic tisanes that are basically tea bags that you add to a potion to add additional effects to that potion.

Halewei is a Middle English word for 'healing water'. Not sure what that is, though. MiddleEnglishDictionary

Kashdug is the Sumerian term for 'sweet drink.' I skimmed a Sumerian lexicon and didn't find anything better for a beverage like this.

Tisane could work too.

Well, I'll figure it out. And now I'm going to casually mention someone eating a gur-ab-sag-ninda without ever explaining what it is.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I think inventing a word is great, since you make it pretty clear in your example what it is. It's helpful worldbuilding, imo, especially if the fictitious words are used somewhat sparingly, and are mostly limited to things that are important to the story or culture.
I suppose it can be helpful if the word is a cognate with a real word, but not necessary. In gaming, I've used a word "chassa" to refer to a hot milky tea beverage drunk in cultures modelled on India, Tibet, Asian steppes, etc. I picked that word to be evocative of real words for tea like "chai" or "poja" (butter tea).

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Possible terms for Tea
  • Shai or Chai is the term for tea used in modern Mesopotamian regions (and benefits from being recognisable by modern english speakers)
  • Pekoe - a type of high quality tea
  • Tisane
  • Herbal Decoction
  • Posca (actually vinegar and herbs)
For Coffee - apparently Sumerians refered to it as Niter Habesha (Ethiopian Niter)

Possible terms for Tea
  • Shai or Chai is the term for tea used in modern Mesopotamian regions (and benefits from being recognisable by modern english speakers)
  • Pekoe - a type of high quality tea
  • Tisane
  • Herbal Decoction
  • Posca (actually vinegar and herbs)
For Coffee - apparently Sumerians refered to it as Niter Habesha (Ethiopian Niter)
I just found this link - The History of Coffee: The Story Of Civilization In A Cup - which mentions 7000 BC (citation needed).

That definitely does not match what Wikipedia says about the history of coffee, which says the earliest records are about 1000 AD. History of coffee - Wikipedia

Remove ads