What makes us care about combat balance in D&D?

If you care about combat balance in D&D, which of the following carry the most weight

• So many combats

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • So many more/so much better rules for combat than noncombat

Votes: 0 0.0%

Rule 0 is not changing anything - it is the most basic, fundamental assumption of any system.

Every single invocation of Rule 0 on the other hand is changing something. Or you wouldn't need to use it.

And there are systems without it. There are also systems with no GM at all. The GM certainly doesn't need to be able to change the rules to wield vast amounts of power.

When the DM alters some aspect of the system, he is creating the system as it exists in the world the characters understand. He isn't altering their system and they haven't understood it as it's written in the books for hundreds of years.

That's because the rules of the game are a stand in for understanding the game world directly. Change the rules within the game and you're changing the physics of the game world.

They understand the world as the DM says they do. In the ultimate theoretical extreme, the DM has written the whole system himself from scratch and everything is a houserule.

There is a huge difference between house rules and invoking Rule 0. I'm currently playing in a houseruled game of Pathfinder in which one house rule is that every character gets a bonus to all saving throws equal to half their hit dice. This heavily nerfs my character in relation to the rest of the PCs (most of the save or suck spells are mine). It's a good rule, however, and I thoroughly support it. But if the DM were to have said half way through the campaign that they were suddenly unilateraly implementing that rule I'd have been pissed.

Ideally, DMs should present houserules prior to starting the campaign, and should talk over any major mid-campaign changes with the players if a particular rule - system or house - is not working right. Again, this is an interpersonal issue. The DM should not use rule 0 arbitrarily; that is not what it is for.

And the point here is that when the DM uses Rule 0 to fix a balance problem the DM is fixing an issue with the game design.

As to "Harming immersion", that's a highly subjective problem. To many people, TTRPGs are not "immersive" at all becuase of the simple fact that you're sitting around a table eating chips and salsa while you play it. DM rulings no more jar people out of their immersion than the guy next to them farting does.

Oh, indeed. Some people don't care about things others do. For some people immersion is nothing - and for others it's the whole reason for playing. Your saying that the preferences of that group should be ignored because others don't worry about it is you either winnowing your table down with no good purpose or you causing a social problem with no real need.

Looking at the WotC-identified player types (the best empirical data we have, even now) the character actors are going to get pissed when you take away what their character knew about the world. The butt-kickers are going to get pissed when you prevent them doing their thing. The thinkers are mostly going to see it as a new challenge, and the storytellers aren't going to care. Each invocation of Rule 0 undermines almost half the potential players. Using it is a huge social problem in itself. (It's just that sometimes there are even worse ones).

pemerton

Legend
if my character's usefulness in the world and relevance to the story rely entirely on the contrivance of one participant in the game, I'll go and read a book, thanks. Same basic situation, less hassle and probably better writing style/story quality.

<snip>

So, you are literally saying that the GM should lie to the players about the nature of their characters' capabilities as communicated by the rules? That they should say "here are the rules; they tell you what your character's abilities will do, except that I'm lying here and I will arbitrarily declare that you can't do some of it"? Isn't that essentially saying "you can choose to play any character you like but they will all actually be the characters I like because you actually have literally no say in this game whatsoever"? Whatever is the point in me playing in such a "game"?
These were the parts of your post that I particularly agreed with. The idea that RPG play is all about dictation and manipulation by the GM - which seems to be newly resurgent as part of 5e's "DM empowerment" - is one that I find quite frustrating.

I've just been rereading my Tunnels & Trolls 5th ed rulebook (1979) and it is refreshing how modern it is - eg the discussion of spell research talks about the need to run new spells by the play group (not just the GM), which is pretty close to Burning Wheel's "peer review"; and the discussion of resolving unusual situations also talks about the group reaching a decision (with the GM having ultimate authority if necessary).

The idea of GM authority above all else seems to only arise in respect of game systems (like 2nd ed AD&D) which aren't fit for their ostensible purpose.

"The art of game design is to induce your players to behave in bizarre, irrational ways that they otherwise would not." If the rules are encouraging anti-social behaviour at the table then either this is because the designers intended it or because the designers screwed up.
That reminded me of this RPG.net review of Hackmaster.

Diamondeye

First Post
GMs are very useful for injecting imagination, inventiveness and humanity into non-player creatures and organisations in the game. When they start to define how the general "physics" of the game world works, however, I find it to be deeply unhelpful to genuine shared storytelling and roleplaying in the extreme.

The "rule 0 fallacy", as I perceive it, boils down to a rejection of broken communication. RPG rules are a communication to the players of how the game world works. Their characters already know this perfectly well; they have grown up in the aforementioned world! But, without detailed communication, the players have no real clue of how the game world is supposed to operate, especially with regards to activities that they are unlikely to have experienced first hand in this "real" world or any other - like fighting with swords, base jumping without the benefit of a parachute or casting magic spells. If the GM modifies or invents the "physics" of the game world on the hoof, the players are left with no useful model of how their character behaviour might affect the world at all. They are being asked to play characters who, we can only presume, suffer from random delusions and flawed memories. While these things are not unknown in the "real" world, they usually come for some reason and associated with predictable patterns...

The problematic assumption you are making is that Rule 0 involves the DM making arbitrary judgements on the fly that the players are aware of, and in areas where rules are already clear. Usually at least one, and most often more than one, or all of those things are not true when Rule 0 is invoked; most often the latter. Game rules cannot anticipate all, and often not even most game situations, or don't reflect the preferences of the DM, players or most often both for the game world before play even starts.

Furthermore, the system doesn't present the world as the characters understand it - only a vague overview of it. The characters are probably ignorant of most or all of what can actually happen in the world. If something changes in the game in that way, it's essentially a discovery for the characters much like a new scientific revelation in real life

Like most complaints about rule 0, you are complaining about it being invoked in a certain way - a way that has nothing to do with the fact that game systems are designed for DM customization and tailoring.

Not really. A lack of "balance" in game rules speaks to something much more problematic than that: it suggests that the world is built on a lie (or series of lies). The rules of how a world works have implications for, well, how that world works. If the rules of the world were stated to be that gravity pulls things down, but all rivers ran uphill, then that would indicate that the "rule" about gravity was false. In this case, (a) how have any intelligent creatures in the world failed to notice this, and (b) what is the rule that keeps creatures and objects from "flowing" up into the air?

Your example has nothing to do with balance. Your example refers to an inconsistency in a game. Balance has nothing to do with "whether the world is built on a lie."

A world where rivers run uphill might exist - but the rest of the world would assuredly not look just like the "real" world if they did. Balance works in the same way - as a cursory glance at real-world economics will show you. If money buys stuff, then rich people will have more and/or better stuff. If wizards are really more powerful than rogues, then everyone will try to be a wizard and no-one will voluntarily be a rogue (and I'm talking about the people in the imaginary world, here, not the "real" world players sat around the table).

Balance does not, in fact, work like that. It's been a regular assertion in PF and several versions of D&D that casters are unbalanced, yet everyone does NOT play a caster nor is everyone in that world a caster. Furthermore, balance is not related to internal consistency.

As an aside, the growing unrest in the world today is starting to show quite graphically what happens when "lack of balance" starts to become manifest.

Actually no, it has nothing to do with that primarily because "imbalance" isn't actually a problem in comparison to absolute advancement and because unrest isn't "growing". It seems like it is because it's the unrest that's immediate on our television and because we get to see it in 100% real time all the time with the advent of internet and 24 hour news. It's just a different variant on the same problems that have always been around. The "imbalance" problems in real life are about people inventing a solution they want to work, then looking for a problem for it to solve.

Lack of balance in an imaginary world, unless it is taken fully into account in the structures and description of that world, breaks the plausibility of that world. This is irrespective of the group or the style of play the world is intended for. Lack of "balance" in a system is really an incoherence between the system and the game-world that it is described as working in. This means that either the world or the system is a lie - a lie to the players who are supposed to be playing the roles of creatures in it.

Balance does not impact plausibility at all. Balance has nothing to do with coherence; it has to do with the proportion of player relevance, and whether they are facing meaningful but beatable challenges.

Quite disconnected from what has gone before, here, I will say that if my character's usefulness in the world and relevance to the story rely entirely on the contrivance of one participant in the game, I'll go and read a book, thanks. Same basic situation, less hassle and probably better writing style/story quality.

That's a good solution, becuase if you are sitting at my table measuring your usefulness against everyone else's and complaining about it, you'll find yourself departing very rapidly. The simple fact is that your character won't be equally relevant all the time. There are lots of reasons for this and balance is almost always not the reason. Players joining an ongoing session, being timid, being unfamiliar with the rules (generally or for the class they're playing) or simply building a terrible character are far more frequent - but hardly the only reasons, and the last is not a balance issue either. Some people just fall in love with a ridiculous character concept and won't give it up no matter how much good advice they get.

So, you are literally saying that the GM should lie to the players about the nature of their characters' capabilities as communicated by the rules? That they should say "here are the rules; they tell you what your character's abilities will do, except that I'm lying here and I will arbitrarily declare that you can't do some of it"? Isn't that essentially saying "you can choose to play any character you like but they will all actually be the characters I like because you actually have literally no say in this game whatsoever"? Whatever is the point in me playing in such a "game"?

No one is saying any such thing. Houserules about character capabilities are properly put out before play starts, and if adjustments are necessary group input is taken. You are engaging in a blatant strawman here.

So, what, all wizards in this world voluntarily eschew the "Knock" spell so that those poor little rogue fellows don't feel useless (even though they are)? Surely, that will last exactly as long as the rogues offer wizards their services for free...

Every wizard in the world is not a member of the PC's party, and that wizard and that rogue are the only ones important. NPC wizards can knock open all the doors they want. Every wizard in the world does not need to have every spell and it is perfectly reasonable for the PC wizard to simply not run across it. If he does, there's no reason he should necessarily memorize it since he DOES have a rogue friend. If he insists on memorizing it, he can save it for a lock that the rogue can't pick in a timely fashion.

I am pretty sure you knew all that already anyhow though. I clearly didn't say "every wizard eschews the knock spell", I said the PC wizard either doesn't have it or avoids using it very much because the player has some basic consideration for the guy playing the rogue. It's not like there aren't plenty of other very useful spells to use instead. All you did was create a strawman.

This is an example of the "rules" and the description of the game world between them lying or worse. They paint a picture of a world that literally cannot work. The communication that the players have received about how the game world works is valueless - untrustworthy in the extreme.

No it doesn't. It has nothing to do with anything of the sort. The DM not giving out a scroll of "knock" or saying to the player "maybe you should choose a different spell" or the player saying "maybe Invisiblity, Web, and Summon Monster II today.. I don't need to prepare 'knock'" have literally nothing to do with what the characters understand about the world. You are making wild assertions about consistent worlds that are totally irrelevant. Your entire argument has been one massive strawman.

Think for a moment about the "real" world. When I was young, facility in doing repetitive arithmetic was something you could get a job with. There were many skills like it that you might live on - like being a computer operator (basically keeping the computer running by changing storage tapes, running housekeeping software and so on) - that are no longer a meal ticket as they used to be. What has happened? No-one learns those skills any more, that's what's happened. So why, in our imagined roleplaying world, do obsolete rogues persist in learinign lockpicking skills that simply won't earn a crust in the "modern" world?

Again, even in the "unbalanced" systems you're complaining about, people still played rogues and NPC rogues still existed. Not all players want to play a caster and not all NPCs have the talent to be a wizard - most don't, as a matter of fact, and many more don't want to engage in years of study, or can't secure the training. Others become other types of casters such as clerics and druids, and sorcerers with limited spell selections may AVOID knock if they know a rogue that can do it for them.

Your extrapolation of what SHOULD happen demonstrably ISN'T what happens, and it's because you engaged in an overly-simplistic analysis that did not consider all factors affecting the result. In the real world, professional football players make way more money than waiters, so everyone should be a pro football player, according to your logic. I don't think I need to explain why this isn't true in practice. Technological systems replacing each other (and housekeeping is still a very real function on modern systems even if they don't use tapes any more) is not an actual equivalent.

I agree - which is exactly what happens when the GM takes control of the physics of the game world without communicating those physics to the players. The real rules that are being played by become distinct from what is written in the rulebook when the GM declares fiat to be the only valid "rule" - and then the players are left with nothing to base their actions upon but a tissue of useless lies and social pressure on the GM - the old, hackneyed "playing the GM rather than the game".

All you are doing is using prejudicial language to beg the question. DM adjustments to rules are not "lies" or "useless tissue" or do they involve some social awkwardness of "playing the DM". They're common to almost every group, and book rules are not somehow better just because they're in a book. The only thing "hackneyed" here is people declaring balance problems by "fiat" and repeating that things are "Broken" over and over because they don't like them.

If a player chooses an ineffective character, the main question is how the character has survived so long despite being congenitally unsuited to the world, surely?

Ineffective people survive quite well in real life, even in places where little social support is available. This is not an important question at all - especially since they are not "congenitally unsuited to the world". Ineffective people make the bulk of the world's population - you need lots of pesants feeding everyone else.

Worlds are not run by social skills. I'm not able to walk or do my job because the world is being polite to me and letting me be effective today. If that were true, I would be perpetually filled with anxiety that the world might change its attitude tomorrow... I know that I can do these things because I know how the world works (in very general terms).

You are inappropriately conflating social interactions between the players at the table with the internal game world mechanics. The game world does not know that the players exist. Furthermore, the player making a specific decision about what spell to memorize, or the DM making a decision about what spell might be on a scroll does not actually have any implications for how the world works. In fact, knock even being a spell at all does not - nor does the rest of the spell list. What matters is, does the DM arbitrarily ban it after the player already has it and uses it. That would be an arbitrary jarring change, but simply asking the player to consider different options is not.

Likewise, I couldn't win an Olympic sprint next week if I could just convince the world that it could really happen and it would be cool if it did - I would have to train and have a degree of natural aptitude as a sprinter (don't hold your breaths, folks!)

You do not, so far as we know, have a player anywhere designing you as a character. Your inability to socialize your way to real-life skills has no bearing on whether you can get Schmetlap sitting next to you at the table to stop knocking open every chest just because he likes being a troll.

In short, social skills are all very well, but creatures living in a world have some actual, experiential knowledge about how those worlds work. By saying that the only real "rules" are the picture in the GM's head of how things should be, you are robbing every player of any analogue to the model that their character must, if they are sane, have of the world they have (presumably) grown up in.

More blatant strawmanning. The DM making houserules is not robbing the player of anything. The player is not entitled to a set of unaltered book rules. He's entitled to have whatever rules - book or house - enforced fairly and consistently and to not be subject to arbitrary changes midstream (arbitrary meaning in cases other than unanticipated situations where no clear rule is available). Furthermore, if one player is intentionally making choices to eliminate participation by everyone else, that's a social problem. There is no reason they NEED to make those choices to keep the world internally consistent.

I
f they are not to be implicitly a lie, those rules must fit at least tolerably with the game world as described by the situations and events that happen in the game. They must not, in other words, imply things that the game suggests are untrue. Put another way, they must be "balanced" as the game world represents them to be.

Once again, this has nothing to do with balance whatsoever, and your premise that any DM alteration to the world or any interplayer negotiation somehow violates the world's internal consistency is utterly without merit or any support from the arguments you've listed. You basically jsut don't seem to understand the difference between balance and consistency or understand that choices cannot be derived in advance from a simple assessment of power.

pemerton

Legend
Rule 0 is not changing anything - it is the most basic, fundamental assumption of any system.
Nonsense. Off the top of my head, here are three great RPGs with no rule zero: Marvel Heroic RP, Burning Wheel, and 4e D&D.

When the DM alters some aspect of the system, he is creating the system as it exists in the world the characters understand.
The concern with rule zero isn't its affect on the characters (who don't actually exist, and are not affected by anything that happens in the real world - including use of rule zero).

The concern is its affect on the players - namely, it subordinates their agency to the GM's agency, which - as [MENTION=27160]Balesir[/MENTION] posted above - can undermine the whole point of playing the game.

While this is perfectly fine as a personal feeling, you are not describing a problem with the system except insofar as that system does not meet your personal preferences.

<snip>

As for advanced, nuanced, and thesis papers on "good" games, a "good" game is a rather subjective idea

<snip>

Simply assigning positive terms to things you like and negative terms to ones you don't isn't very convincing.
This is very confusing to me. If "good" is subjective, then how is anyone supposed to assign positive or negative terms except by reference to what s/he likes? If "good" is subjective, then when you assert that various non-4e RPGs are good, aren't you just reiterating that they meet your personal preferences? In which case, why are you rebuking another poster for doing the same?

It may be a common problem that casters become dominant, but it's also a common problem that DMs do not know how to design encounters regardless of how good the rules are.
If the aim of the game is for casters to be dominant (eg Ars Magica), then casters becoming dominant looks like a display of good design.

If the aim of the game is for both spell-using and non-spell-using build options to be viable strategies for play, then casters becoming dominant is a design flaw.

In the case of AD&D, complications arise because the game was designed for more-or-less competitive play by players running stables of PCs. MUs were harder to keep alive at low levels, but were a long-term winning strategy because they tended to become dominant at high levels.

This perfectly workable framework for play is obviously broken as soon as the actual goal of play departs from that which the system was designed for - skilled-play dungeon-crawling - and turns towards single-PC-per-player, character-and-story-focused play. Unfortunately, rather than try and adapt to the system to support this quite different sort of RPGing, 2nd ed AD&D just reproduced the old mechanics but added a whole lot of broken GMing advice, including to ignore the action resolution rules.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Although I voted the last option (because "everyone contributes to everything important" is absolutely essential to me), I also very highly value #2 (potential complexity, anyway) and #6 (fudging makes consequence-based learning impossible).

I believe that a cooperative roleplaying game should respect the tastes of all who play it; since all character options will have to have fluff attached, it should therefore never significantly and consistently favor nor disfavor any particular set of tastes. Thus, while the discrete list of abilities any particular character has do not have to be the same, the amount that any given character contributes to the party should be "on the net" equal--in all parts of play that the designers consider important or meaningful. It's perfectly fine to have strictly contextual issues lead to a wish for something a little different--e.g. "man we're fighting a LOT of undead...wish we had a Cleric or Paladin right now!"--but these contextual issues should never extend to the whole of what WotC calls the "pillars" and should DEFINITELY never find party members "dead weight"--e.g. the ideal case is no one ever pausing to think, "man, we're doing a lot of socialization, I wish we didn't have a Fighter..." nor "man we're doing a lot of fighting, wish we'd brought a Fighter instead of a Wizard..."

Furthermore, if as many tastes are to be respected as humanly possible (since "all" may be an impossible ideal), then there should be options furnished for people regardless of their particular combination of fluff-preference and complexity-preference (which are vehemently not the same thing!) There should be dirt-simple "Fighters"...and dirt-simple Wizards, and Clerics. There should be complex Wizards...and complex Fighters. No one should come into it thinking, "Man, I'd love to play a Fighter but [god they're all so BORING]/[I can't keep track of all my actions]" any more than they should think the exact same thing with "Wizard," "Druid," or any other class.

And finally...I see roleplaying games as fundamentally games...AND fundamentally roleplay. If they weren't fundamentally roleplay, respecting taste wouldn't matter. If they weren't fundamentally games, level of complexity and "net contribution" wouldn't matter. But since they ARE fundamentally games, they should enable the player to:
(a) make informed choices, and
(b) learn from the consequences of prior choices

If the difficulty of things once-they-exist-in-play can change at the DM's leisure, "informed" choices become impossible; the information one could base one's choices on is no longer constant. Note that this is NOT the same as saying all choices need to be calculations. To give an analogy, an "informed" choice is like selecting from a menu at a restaurant, which is very much a matter of taste and avoiding danger (e.g. allergies)...but making an informed decision can't happen if the ingredients used to make the food are always at risk of changing without the diner knowing.

Similarly, if the player does make an informed choice or set of choices, and those choices would have resulted in failure (even if that failure is simply "trusting the dice too much"), the player should experience that failure so they can go back and try to learn why they failed. This is how you learn to recognize faulty decision-making; it is an eternally ongoing process, but that does not mean it does not improve with time. Similarly, if the player makes an informed choice/set of choices, and those choices would have resulted in success (even if that success is "you got lucky"), the player should experience that success so they can remember strategies that worked. Again, this is an eternally ongoing process, but luck can't rescue you all the time--you can slowly refine your ability to find sound strategies. If the player is denied the ability to experience the consequences of their actions, good or bad, then either way they are being denied an important learning opportunity--either being punished (denied success they had legitimately achieved) or coddled (denied failure they had legitimately earned). Either one, if continued as a pattern, will tend to result in more irrational decision-making (avoiding sound strategies and embracing unsound ones), as well as increased disparity between expectations and results, which is a recipe for disappointment.

Diamondeye

First Post
Every single invocation of Rule 0 on the other hand is changing something. Or you wouldn't need to use it.

Necessarily. That's the point of rule 0. To change things. That does not change the perception from the character perspective - they aren't aware of the out-of-game interactions. To them it's always been that way.

And there are systems without it. There are also systems with no GM at all. The GM certainly doesn't need to be able to change the rules to wield vast amounts of power.

All systems always have rule 0. Even if they have no DM. Rule 0 is called rule 0 because its unalterable. The people at the table can alter the system however they want; the RPG police will not show up to arrest them. It does not need to be stated because it's present in literally every game. Putting tax money under Free Parking in monopoly is rule 0. You can change the way pieces move in your home chess game if you want. Period. There is no room for argument on this.

Computer games actually even have it; we call them "patches", "mods" or "expansions".

That's because the rules of the game are a stand in for understanding the game world directly. Change the rules within the game and you're changing the physics of the game world.

So what? As long as this is not done mid-campaign without good reason, who cares? This is not important; it's a complaint about a specific use of rule 0, not the concept.

There is a huge difference between house rules and invoking Rule 0. I'm currently playing in a houseruled game of Pathfinder in which one house rule is that every character gets a bonus to all saving throws equal to half their hit dice. This heavily nerfs my character in relation to the rest of the PCs (most of the save or suck spells are mine). It's a good rule, however, and I thoroughly support it. But if the DM were to have said half way through the campaign that they were suddenly unilateraly implementing that rule I'd have been pissed.

Unfortunately, that house rule is a specific application of rule 0. You described no meaningful difference whatsoever beyond an imaginary line in your head between "uses I'm ok with" and "ones I'm not".

And the point here is that when the DM uses Rule 0 to fix a balance problem the DM is fixing an issue with the game design.

So what? Games are designed for adaptation in that way. What's an issue of game design that needs fixing in one campaign is not such an issue in another.

Oh, indeed. Some people don't care about things others do. For some people immersion is nothing - and for others it's the whole reason for playing. Your saying that the preferences of that group should be ignored because others don't worry about it is you either winnowing your table down with no good purpose or you causing a social problem with no real need.

The preferences of that group are not a reason why game companies should design a game in a certain way. Furthermore, other groups and their preferences are not at my table so I'm certainly not winnowing it down at all, nor causing any social problems. Social problems at game tables arises from different preferences within a particular group, or else people that simply don't play well with others.

Games as designed, however, do not need to stay within a strict set of mechanical limits to ensure all characters are equally useful in and out of combat, nor strictly avoid any need for adaptation to specific groups or campaigns. If a system is unplayable by a group that is not because it's "broken" it's because it doesn't suit that group and can't be made to suit it without excessive amounts of work compared to the amount that group is willing to do on altering it. A system is only truly "broken" when it is so unsuitable in general that it cannot succeed commercially. Some people's allergy to any DM-driven alterations to the rules, or need to rules-lawyer the system into being a total mess because they take issue with certain aspects of it are not system problems; they're rules-lawyer problems.

Looking at the WotC-identified player types (the best empirical data we have, even now) the character actors are going to get pissed when you take away what their character knew about the world. The butt-kickers are going to get pissed when you prevent them doing their thing. The thinkers are mostly going to see it as a new challenge, and the storytellers aren't going to care. Each invocation of Rule 0 undermines almost half the potential players. Using it is a huge social problem in itself. (It's just that sometimes there are even worse ones).

Except for the fact that it doesn't do that at all. You are assuming that Rule 0 uses are limited only to poor uses of rule 0. rule 0 is best used for rulings A) in advance of game start B) to resolve situations unclear or not addressed at all or C)

Furthermore, WotC's "types of players" is at best an informal analysis, not a rigorous psychological study. Players rarely fit firmly into just one of those categories, and are complex human beings, not merely a WotC player category. Players are compelx, and more often than not, intelligent people. If a midstream change is needed, the proper thing to do is discuss it with the affected player or the whole group as appropriate and solicit ideas for change.

It isn't a problem with Rule 0 when this isn't done; it's poor leadership by the DM in a peer leadership environment. This is not a system problem any more than a killer encounter or boring storyline is a system problem.

Diamondeye

First Post
Nonsense. Off the top of my head, here are three great RPGs with no rule zero: Marvel Heroic RP, Burning Wheel, and 4e D&D.

What exactly is stopping either the DM or the group in these games from using rule 0? I have news for you, in the unlikely even I were to DM for 4e, rule 0 exists in my game. Period. It doesn't matter if they system claims to ahve it or not - it is ALWAYS present, in ANY game. Rule 0 is present even computer games as patches and mods, and in real sports in different rules for different ages or genders or even in terms of changes between seasons.

The concern with rule zero isn't its affect on the characters (who don't actually exist, and are not affected by anything that happens in the real world - including use of rule zero).

The concern is its affect on the players - namely, it subordinates their agency to the GM's agency, which - as [MENTION=27160]Balesir[/MENTION] posted above - can undermine the whole point of playing the game.

This is an abstract concern with a particular use of rule 0, and completely ignores the player's own agency as people to say to the DM "look, we don't like it when you make arbitrary changes for no reason mid-campaign. Stop doing that" and either negotiate with him in some way (revert the changes and stop making them without good reason, someone else DMs for a while, or in the extreme playing without him).

It doesn't matter, however, how much concern there is with Rule 0 - and more importantly, these have nothing to do with using rule 0 to cover up imaginary "broken" game systems. If changes to address issues are implemented in a fair and consistent manner where they players buy into them, there's no problem.

This is very confusing to me. If "good" is subjective, then how is anyone supposed to assign positive or negative terms except by reference to what s/he likes? If "good" is subjective, then when you assert that various non-4e RPGs are good, aren't you just reiterating that they meet your personal preferences? In which case, why are you rebuking another poster for doing the same?

We're talking about games here. Why should anyone refer to anything BUT what he or she likes?

Also, I don't refer to non-4E systems as not good; it's 4E that was not good - in fact it was a total train wreck. If people like that system, that's fine, it's good to them, but it should have been published as a new system not as a replacement to 3.X. It robbed those of us that liked the 3.X and preceding systems of continuing manufacturer support in favor of a totally new system, and in the process damaged at least one game setting beyond repair.

Furthermore, the premises of 4E - that equal balance and utility among all classes - turned out not to work very well in practice. The inter-edition gap dropped to 6 years, but more importantly the 4E overall approach was scrapped. 4E mechanically does not look anything like its predecessors or successors, and (as far as we know from what' available of Hasbro's internal policies)didn't achieve the commercial success it promised the company. Excessive focus on balance and ease of integrating new players turned out to be bad goals in terms of commercial success, regardless of how much some people might enjoy it.

If the aim of the game is for casters to be dominant (eg Ars Magica), then casters becoming dominant looks like a display of good design.

Casters being dominant is wildly overestimated in most forum discussions. This is not to say they are not more powerful or versatile overall (they generally are) but almost never actually render anyone else irrelevant in practice. If they do, the DM is mot likely simply not putting enough, or the right kind of pressure on the group.

If the aim of the game is for both spell-using and non-spell-using build options to be viable strategies for play, then casters becoming dominant is a design flaw.

This is not true. Being "not as dominant" is itself a highly imprecise condition, and might range from "totally irrelevant" to "mildly less powerful." People, in general, however have a tendency to represent any perceived lesser power as the most extreme situation of "I can't do anything at all because the Wizard cast a spell yesterday that didn't let me roll my die!".

There may or may not be a design flaw depending on the particular group and how much work is needed to correct the perceived flaw. For example, many people consider 3.X diplomacy to be flawed as it can seemingly magically (without using game magic) result in abrupt and massive attitude changes by NPCs. It's a simple matter for the DM to say "no, one step limit" or something like that with minimal effort if this effect is undesirable.

In the case of AD&D, complications arise because the game was designed for more-or-less competitive play by players running stables of PCs. MUs were harder to keep alive at low levels, but were a long-term winning strategy because they tended to become dominant at high levels.

I would seriously question if the game was designed for that or it simply was a common thing back in the 1E and early days, but either way a "complication" is exactly that - complexity. It might involve some effort to manage.

This perfectly workable framework for play is obviously broken as soon as the actual goal of play departs from that which the system was designed for - skilled-play dungeon-crawling - and turns towards single-PC-per-player, character-and-story-focused play. Unfortunately, rather than try and adapt to the system to support this quite different sort of RPGing, 2nd ed AD&D just reproduced the old mechanics but added a whole lot of broken GMing advice, including to ignore the action resolution rules.

Except that it isn't "broken" by departing from that goal, as that was never an exclusive goal, just a single use. There was never anything broken about 1E, 2E, or 3E that couldn't be resolved by DM management. The only question was the amount of work the DM needed to remedy that for a particular group. When it exceeded that DMs or that groups threshold for "too much work", it was broken for that group - but the systems were never "broken" and using the term "obviously broken" is just imposing your personal limits on everyone else. The proper answer was to go play another system, but for some reason people think D&D needs to always be the go-to system that meets their needs instead of representing a stereotypical generic fantasy system where magic is almost always a dominant world force.

The problem is that you think "Caster dominance" is both far more prevalent than it really is, and that you think it's a problem. It isn't. Magic is supposed to be powerful and versatile in D&D. That isn't the system being broken - it's people trying to impose some sort of cross-class egalitarianism on the system that it doesn't need.

pemerton

Legend
What exactly is stopping either the DM or the group in these games from using rule 0?
Well, by definition the group can't use Rule 0, because Rule 0 is a rule conferring power upon the GM.

And what stops the GM from using Rule 0 in the games that I mentioned is its absence.

Of course the GM, the same as any participant in any game (RPG or otherwise), can cheat, or can try and bully other participants. But breaking the rules of the game isn't an instance of using Rule 0.

If you're not familiar with RPGs - such as the ones I mentioned - that have GM-side rules that are as robust and binding as the player-side rules, then I commend them to you.

If changes to address issues are implemented in a fair and consistent manner where they players buy into them, there's no problem.
This is not rule zero - it is not a unilateral exercise of authority by the GM. This is the group, by consensus, changing the game rules.

I have news for you, in the unlikely even I were to DM for 4e, rule 0 exists in my game. Period. It doesn't matter if they system claims to ahve it or not - it is ALWAYS present, in ANY game.
I don't see how games without a referee can have a rule empowering the referee to change or suspend the rules. Nor do most sports that do involve a referee have such a rule.

All you seem to be asserting is that the referee can break the rules and, perhaps, get away with it. That's true, but its true of players also. A player can lie about his/her attack rolls, for instance, but that doesn't mean the game contains a "rule zero" permitting players to override the results of d20 rolls. It just means that sometimes people cheat and you can't always stop them.

This is an abstract concern with a particular use of rule 0, and completely ignores the player's own agency as people to say to the DM "look, we don't like it when you make arbitrary changes for no reason mid-campaign. Stop doing that" and either negotiate with him in some way (revert the changes and stop making them without good reason, someone else DMs for a while, or in the extreme playing without him).
The concern is not abstract; it is quite concrete, and is a reason that more than one poster (including me) has quit games or booted GMs.

Rather than empowering a GM to handle action resolution by way of fiat, and then having to escalate to social conflict when things go wrong, I prefer to establish a framework of rules that establishes permissible moves for the various participants in the game, including the GM. This is really just a particular instance of the general function of rules, to reduce or ameliorate social conflict by pre-establishing what is permitted and what is forbidden.

many people consider 3.X diplomacy to be flawed as it can seemingly magically (without using game magic) result in abrupt and massive attitude changes by NPCs. It's a simple matter for the DM to say "no, one step limit" or something like that with minimal effort if this effect is undesirable.
Wouldn't it be better to actually have decent social resolution rules, rather than some ad hoc GM ruling? It's not as if there are no such rules out there to be emulated!

We're talking about games here. Why should anyone refer to anything BUT what he or she likes?

Also, I don't refer to non-4E systems as not good; it's 4E that was not good - in fact it was a total train wreck. If people like that system, that's fine, it's good to them, but it should have been published as a new system not as a replacement to 3.X.
I think you've missed my point. You rebuked another poster for describing something as good and something else as bad, on the grounds that s/he was merely expressing preferences - but here you are again using all this normative language ("not good", "train wreck", "should have been . . ."). What are you doing here but expressing preferences? Which is the very thing you rebuked another poster for doing.

the premises of 4E - that equal balance and utility among all classes - turned out not to work very well in practice.
Do you mean that you didn't like it? How is that of any relevance to someone like me who did like it?

I would seriously question if the game was designed for that

<snip>

that was never an exclusive goal, just a single use.
Have you read the original rulebooks recently? Or the closing pages (prior to the appendices) of Gygax's PHB? The whole focus of the game is dungeon exploration; the goal of play is to be a "skilled player" whose PC(s) survive the dungeon and collect treasure, and thereby XP, and thereby gain levels.

That's why the game has action resolution rules for finding traps and listening at doors (both dungeon things), but not for (say) predicting the weather (other than a spell) or hunting and fishing. It's not as if traps and doors are somehow more fundamental to an RPG experience than weather and wilderness survival.

There was never anything broken about 1E, 2E, or 3E that couldn't be resolved by DM management.
Pick up your 1st ed AD&D DMG and PHB and read through them. They are full of action resolution mechanics. There are mechanics for combat - they are level dependent. There are mechanics for social interactions and loyalty - they are not level dependent (except when they interact with combat, via the morale rules - in that case, relative HD can matter). There are mechanics for listening at doors, for finding secret doors, for divine intervention.

Why do these mechanics make combat more mechanically intricate, and level dependant, than other forms of conflict? Because the game was invented and enjoyed by wargamers.

Why is the chance to find a trap or follow tracks level dependent (thief/assassin/monk or ranger level respectively), but the chance to find a secret door or a sloping corridor (the latter for dwarves et al) not? No good reason that I'm aware of, just idiosyncratic allocation of capabilities across elements of PC build that do and don't have a level component to them.

Why don't they include other sorts of stuff - say, chances to dance nicely, or chances to compose a beautiful poem, or chances to navigate by the stars? Because this stuff wasn't of the essence of the play the game was designed to support.

If all that was required was "DM management" then these mechanics would (i) all be redundant, and (ii) all be immune to critical analysis! But clearly the game designers didn't regard them as redundant: they are the engine of the game. Nor did the designers regard them as immune to critical analysis: the rules are revised between the original supplements and AD&D, and revised again in the move to AD&D 2nd edition, and over the years there are attempts to come up with more-or-less generic and flexible action resolution mechanics (eg roll under stat) although these suffer from not being integrated in any sort of way (let alone a systematic way) with the plethora of discrete abilities idiosyncratically granted to various races and classes.

using the term "obviously broken" is just imposing your personal limits on everyone else. The proper answer was to go play another system, but for some reason people think D&D needs to always be the go-to system that meets their needs instead of representing a stereotypical generic fantasy system where magic is almost always a dominant world force.
You seem to be confused about two things.

First, using a term is not imposing anything on anyone. I have never met you, let alone played a game with you, let alone imposed any approach to gaming upon you. I have simply described some rules. You are describing the very same rules, so presumably don't begrudge me the liberty of doing likewise.

Second, because the AD&D rules were broken for single-PC-per-player, character/story focused RPGing, I stopped GMing D&D in the late 80s, and GMed Rolemaster almost exclusively for nearly 20 years. I returned to D&D as my main game in 2009, when an edition was published which supported the sort of RPGing experience that I was looking for.

My fairly extensive play of 2nd ed AD&D in the early and mid-90s confirmed my view that it's mechanics did not facilitate the sorts of play that most people (or, at least, most people I knew at the time) were trying to achieve with it. The result was widespread GM force to bend mechanical outcomes, and to plug mechanical gaps, so as to achieve consistency with stylistic/aesthetic desires. I don't regard this as a very satisfactory form of RPGing, and on two occasions it led me to abandon campaigns. I was also able to recruit "refugees" from such games to my RM game at the time.

Casters being dominant is wildly overestimated in most forum discussions. This is not to say they are not more powerful or versatile overall (they generally are) but almost never actually render anyone else irrelevant in practice.

<snip>

The problem is that you think "Caster dominance" is both far more prevalent than it really is, and that you think it's a problem. It isn't. Magic is supposed to be powerful and versatile in D&D.
For someone who accuses others of "imposing limits", you speak very dogmatically. What is your textual authority for the claim that "magic is supposed to be powerful and versatile in D&D" in a way that non-magical PCs are not? And why am I wrong to think it's a problem? How do you know whether or not I have found dominant casters to rend other PCs irrelevant in practice? And why is irrelevance the threshold in any event? Why should a player who wants to play a Lancelot or Conan be able to impact the fiction of the game any less then one who wants to play a Ged or Circe?

Necessarily. That's the point of rule 0. To change things. That does not change the perception from the character perspective - they aren't aware of the out-of-game interactions. To them it's always been that way.

No it hasn't.

All systems always have rule 0. Even if they have no DM. Rule 0 is called rule 0 because its unalterable. The people at the table can alter the system however they want; the RPG police will not show up to arrest them.

Your version of Rule 0 is at odds with any conception of it I've ever seen. Rule 0 is about the DM's power to change the rules. Not about the table's power. A game without a DM doesn't have a DM to change the rules.

To clarify, four of the first five searches for Rule 0 talk about how it's explicitly the DM's ability to change the rules. (The fifth is the 1d4Chan link and isn't about changing rules so it irrelevant other than it references the normal rule 0).

So you can define Rule 0 however you like - but if you define it in the way you are it means you are talking about something completely different from the rest of us.

It does not need to be stated because it's present in literally every game. Putting tax money under Free Parking in monopoly is rule 0.

No. That's a house rule (and a terrible one). Unless you are somehow doing it without consulting the other players - and in that case it's either making a mistake because you thought it was part of the rules or cheating.

And if we take your definition of Rule 0 then no game anywhere, even the most competitive boardgame doesn't need balance because it can always be fixed by the players. Riiiigghhhht.

Now we've established your definition of Rule 0 is different from the normal Rule 0 can we drop this tangent?

So what? Games are designed for adaptation in that way. What's an issue of game design that needs fixing in one campaign is not such an issue in another.

In short because a landmine is not stepped on it's not a problem.

The preferences of that group are not a reason why game companies should design a game in a certain way. Furthermore, other groups and their preferences are not at my table so I'm certainly not winnowing it down at all, nor causing any social problems. Social problems at game tables arises from different preferences within a particular group, or else people that simply don't play well with others.

Or because things are extremely aggravating and that causes tempers to flare.

Games as designed, however, do not need to stay within a strict set of mechanical limits to ensure all characters are equally useful in and out of combat,

Good. Because no RPG has ever done this. You can't eliminate player skill without first eliminating player agency.

Furthermore, WotC's "types of players" is at best an informal analysis, not a rigorous psychological study.

No. I'm assuming it's the best tool we have available due to the empirical evidence supporting it.

It doesn't matter if they system claims to ahve it or not - it is ALWAYS present, in ANY game. Rule 0 is present even computer games as patches and mods, and in real sports in different rules for different ages or genders or even in terms of changes between seasons.

Given that Rule 0 requires a GM, no it isn't. Your ideosyncratic definition of Rule 0 that might be confusing the conversation might be.

Also, I don't refer to non-4E systems as not good; it's 4E that was not good - in fact it was a total train wreck. If people like that system, that's fine, it's good to them, but it should have been published as a new system not as a replacement to 3.X. It robbed those of us that liked the 3.X and preceding systems of continuing manufacturer support in favor of a totally new system, and in the process damaged at least one game setting beyond repair.

Ah, I was waiting for the edition warring to get explicit. No, it wasn't a total train wreck - although it was released early. And given the spectacular changes 3.0 made to D&D at a conceptual level (in many cases reaching at least as far as the 4e changes) this isn't much of an argument.

Furthermore, the premises of 4E - that equal balance and utility among all classes - turned out not to work very well in practice.

And that was never a design principle. The thief always had more utility than the fighter out of combat.

The inter-edition gap dropped to 6 years,

I.e. longer than 3.0 or 3.5 lasted.

4E mechanically does not look anything like its predecessors or successors,

ANd 3.0 is vastly different from 2E.

Casters being dominant is wildly overestimated in most forum discussions.

That's because people who actually care about understanding the game, and those who care about skilled play (a deliberate design goal of Gygax) are more likely to post on forums.

I would seriously question if the game was designed for that or it simply was a common thing back in the 1E and early days, but either way a "complication" is exactly that - complexity. It might involve some effort to manage.

1E wasn't the early days.

oD&D: 1974. 1e: 1977-1979.

Except that it isn't "broken" by departing from that goal, as that was never an exclusive goal, just a single use.

The intended playstyle of oD&D, and 1E through to about 1985 (with Dragonlance) was a game of player skill to rob the dungeons blind and in which you wanted to avoid combat because you gained 1XP for each GP - this was deliberate. It was also competitive, player skill was prized, and even Ernie Gygax got shanked by other players for artifacts. In short it was a game designed for competitive tabletop wargamers looking for a challenge that meant thinking outside the box.

DL1 and the like were hacks to a gritty system to let people play heroic fantasy. And did it through means such as the Obscure Death Rule. 2e actively advocates fudging the dice because the rules are not fit for the purpose 2e was intended to be used for. It also relegated the XP for GP rule way outside the default rules (turning 2e into a hack and slash gamme where the best source of XP was slaughtering monsters).

There was never anything broken about 1E, 2E, or 3E that couldn't be resolved by DM management. The only question was the amount of work the DM needed to remedy that for a particular group.

And what sort of cost that would have in terms of player agency and player immersion. There's nothing broken about FATAL that can't be resolved by DM management - including the bad taste that game was written in.

The proper answer was to go play another system, but for some reason people think D&D needs to always be the go-to system that meets their needs instead of representing a stereotypical generic fantasy system where magic is almost always a dominant world force.

Except not. In oD&D and D&D, magic wasn't that dominant. There was a level soft-cap at level 10. Teleport gave you a serious chance of dying. Spells took a minute to cast - and saving throws were based on the intended effect and got easier to make rather than harder as both sides leveled. The 2e wizard was made of tissue paper - the oD&D and 1e wizard were intended to be surrounded by hirelings.

Also 3.X was aimed at rebalancing the fighter and wizard - and ended up with a wizard that was level with a fighter at L1, an evoker that was level with a fighter at L5, and not realising they'd screwed up the saving throws.

The problem is that you think "Caster dominance" is both far more prevalent than it really is, and that you think it's a problem. It isn't. Magic is supposed to be powerful and versatile in D&D. That isn't the system being broken - it's people trying to impose some sort of cross-class egalitarianism on the system that it doesn't need.

The problem is that you think that 3.5 is the way D&D was intended to be. It isn't. Gygax made a vast array of tweaks for game balance including attempting to balance the fighter with the wizard and cleric using everything from XP tables to loot tables (why do you think there are so many magic swords on them and magic swords get better numbers than other weapons?) - and using Unearthed Arcana to attempt to rebalance them when extra years of playtesting showed the fighter wasn't strong enough.

The game was intended by Gygax to be balanced. You can play an unbalanced one if you like. But be aware when you are doing so that the wizard-dominance is not what D&D was intended to be.

Jessica

First Post
Also if I remember back in 2e(which means the rules might be a holdover from 1e) that Wizards had to find all of their spells after first level which meant that Wizards only ever had access to the spells that the DM specifically put into their campaign. On top of that there wasn't concentration checks. A Wizard would lose concentration for taking a single point of damage and couldn't cast on shaky ground or on horseback. The Wizard(in addition to other non-Warrior classes) couldn't get more than a +2 HP bonus from Con and couldn't roll exceptional strength and iirc Wizards couldn't cast spells at all if they wore any armor whatsoever and Warrior types were given some of the best saves in the game. Unlike Clerics, Wizards didn't get any bonus spells from having a high Int. Also Wizards were the only class iirc that didn't get followers of any kind because there was this assumption that no one liked or trusted Wizards. It looks rough to a lot of us, but there were very obviously attempts made to balance classes against each other in D&D. The people who designed 3rd edition for some reason decided to throw all attempt to balance the classes out the window by giving all the nice stuff Fighters got to everyone(now even full casters could get multiple attacks and everyone could get followers with a feat) and throwing away all the attempts to balance Wizards by letting them pick spells each level, not completely fail if they wore armor, gave them a chance to concentrate on spells when they cast, let them fully benefit from constitution, and made magic item creation waaaaay easier to do for a Wizard. 3.X was the outlier in terms of unrestricted super powered casters, because as alien as a lot of old school D&D was to me(I started in 2nd edition and my concept of D&D was a generic fantasy game with like heroes and stuff and not as a dungeon burglar simulator) I can clearly see that Gary Gygax knew a hell of a lot more about balance than the people who did 3.X could. Did the people who made 3.X actually ever seriously sit down and think on the old rules for more than 2 seconds instead of just being like "that rules a bummer, let's get rid of it".

Remove ads