Scifi/Fantasy/Horror for TV & Film

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
While it is cool to have a bunch of genre fiction hitting screens big & small of late, I lament that too much of it is reboots & retreads, plus some sequels thrown in for good measure. Then, of course, there is the percentage of it that is simply not good...

Yet there's so much good stuff out there as yet untouched that could work well on TV or as movies.

My partial list from elsewhere:

Glen Cook's Garrett, P.I. series, Ben Bova's Grand Tour novels, Harry Turtledove's Darkness series, Kurt R.A. Giambastiani's Fallen Cloud novels, C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner novels, Kristine Kathryn Rusch's Retrieval artist novels, Fritz Lieber's Fafhrd & Grey Mouser stories, Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion cycle (parts of it, at least), Barbara Hambly's Darkness stories, Thieves' World, Wild Cards, the Sword of Knowledge series...

I could have gone on, the more I thought about it- Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas stories would work well, for instance.

And yeah- there are definitely some properties that could really use a reboot that don't seem to be on the radar right now, like John Butcher's Dresden stuff.

What stuff would you like to see?

Ryujin

Legend
Robert Adams "Horseclans" series comes to mind, as a good apocalyptic medieval fantasy concept. Something set in the universe of Gordon R. Dickson's "Childe Cycle" would work remarkably well.

But the new series "Dark Matter" is looking interesting, so far, and has me guessing about the nature of the main characters.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
While it is cool to have a bunch of genre fiction hitting screens big & small of late, I lament that too much of it is reboots & retreads, plus some sequels thrown in for good measure. Then, of course, there is the percentage of it that is simply not good...

90% of everything is crap, but the more stuff there is, the bigger that 10% is.

But the new series "Dark Matter" is looking interesting, so far, and has me guessing about the nature of the main characters.

That's very firmly lodged near the bottom of the 90% for me...

Crothian

First Post
I could have gone on, the more I thought about it- Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas stories would work well, for instance.

They did a movie of it. It wasn't that good.

I think Simon's Green's Nightside series would be pretty good. I would love to see Mira Grant's Newsflesh become a series for a great and different take of the world post zombies.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
They did a movie of it. It wasn't that good.

I think Simon's Green's Nightside series would be pretty good. I would love to see Mira Grant's Newsflesh become a series for a great and different take of the world post zombies.

Well, I did specify a "good" treatment! But I hadn't heard of there being anything for Odd Thomas- can you tell me more?

As for the Nightside, I liked the books, but they may be a little over the top to pull off as anything but MAYBE anime.

Crothian

First Post
Well, I did specify a "good" treatment! But I hadn't heard of there being anything for Odd Thomas- can you tell me more?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1767354/

I happen on it on Netflix and watched it. I've only read a book or two of the series so I'm not sure just how far they stayed.

As for the Nightside, I liked the books, but they may be a little over the top to pull off as anything but MAYBE anime.

Sure, but it would stand out. There are more of these types of shows now so might as well go for something a little more challenging.

MarkB

Legend
I'd like to see someone take another run at the Dresden Files, sticking a little closer to the books.

Something based on Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series could also be good.

Remove ads