Do you name your modile devices?

Ryujin

Legend
I have been tempted to name my phone "FBI Surveillance Van" so that it broadcasts that when I turn on the hotspot.

(freaky thing is I did see that once when I was grabbing lunch while working downtown over the weekend - it popped up, then disappeared, and popped up again as if someone was driving around...)

My wireless router is "RCMP Surveillance Van." Not original, but hopefully scares the crap out of my sketchy neighbours.

As with many others my devices are named for their function, not in a personal manner. When I first started working in my current position I found whimsical server names annoying, as they gave no indication of their function. Naming UNIX servers "Bob, Carol, Ted, and Alice" said more about the age of the people who set them up, than it ever could about what those servers did.

fba827

Adventurer
our house wifi router is called 'fruitsalad'. As a result of this every device and computer in the house is named after a fruit (Apple, mango, blueberry, etc). Do we ever refer to anything by such name in conversation? Nope. But each is assigned such a name during setup

Our neighbors apparently saw 'fruitsalad' and so they named their wifi router 'fishbasket' and then named all their devices after types of fish

A place I used to work had a very patriotic theme and all the servers were named sequentially after presidents of the United States. While another place I worked had servers named after South Park characters.

Dioltach

Legend
I do something similar with passwords: common themes are types of chocolate or whiskeys. Whiskeys are particularly good, because you have a combination of a name and a number. (And if anyone guesses them, at least I'm being hacked by someone civilised.)

Remove ads