ask a physicist

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
This will be an off-topic AMA; I thought it would be fun to take any and all physics questions, since there seems to be genuine interest here on EN World.

My background: I am a physicist who works in the broad subject of "high energy physics," which these days includes subatomic/particle physics (think Higgs boson/LHC experiment/dark matter), mathematical aspects of these types of theories, string theory, and other aspects of quantum gravity (stuff like Hawking radiation/black holes as well as non-stringy quantum gravity theories). My own work deals with particle physics models of dark matter and (separately) string theory, often with respect to extra dimensions.

Some guidelines for the thread, just to keep things organized:
  • I'm willing to try to answer questions outside my specialty, but there are some I may just say I don't know. An example might be about detailed workings of electronics or something if I can't look up something easily.
  • I won't necessarily go in order that the questions are posted since I may need to postpone a more involved answer due to my work schedule.
  • If any of the other EN World physicists want to answer questions, please feel free. I may add something, or I may just quote your answer to highlight it.
  • If you want to discuss an answer more than just a short follow-up question, please copy information over and start a new thread in the Miscellaneous Geek Talk & Media Lounge forum.
  • Please be patient, as my work often spills past normal business hours. This is something I'm just doing for fun.

An "advertising" or "introduction" thread is over here.

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
What's the deal with Dark Matter? Is it just a placeholder for the math (until they find the real thing and name it Umbranium, or is there really funky stuff out there?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Can I affect the results of the 2-slit experiment* such that the photons favor one side?

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment

Sure. Cover one slit. :)

You may need to be a little more specific. Do you mean, "Can I look at the apparatus funny, and make the results different?" Or, "Can I affect the results with the power of my Mind?" Or, "If I make one slit narrower, are the results different?" Or what?

Remove ads