Fear The Walking Dead-episode 1

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I wonder how we'd view this opening if TWD didn't exist?

I suspect since the title includes walking dead, the fact that we don't see a zombie until the end might be annoying.

Technically, I think we saw a Zombie like two minutes into the show... Gloria was a Zombie. She was eating the one dude and had a knife in her. That's who the son was running from in the very beginning.

Which made me wonder... when the dad went back like either that evening or the next night, the bodies were gone. Presumably there was at least one Zombie in the church. Where did she go? Once Gloria finished eating the one dude, wouldn't she have gone searching for more?

I kept waiting for something to happen, like the dad to get attacked when he went back, but they were all gone...

But unfortunately it seemed like me and others were waiting for something to happen, which never really did. I know I was waiting and waiting and then the show ended and I was like what the? I know the Walking Dead had episodes that bored the crap out of me. I know several times like every single season the show gets boring boring boring and then OMG I can't believe that just happened... then back to boring boring boring, repeat. But you would think that a brand new show would start with the OMG I can't believe that just happened in order to draw people in, not start with the boring right off the bat.

For me, I may continue to watch another episode just to see if it gets to that OMG I can't believe that just happened moment, but if it doesn't, I'm done. And I want the druggie son to die. He probably won't, sadly, but I seem to be in the majority in not really caring about his entire storyline at all, which, also sadly, seemed to be the focus of the show more than Zombies... :(

Jhaelen

First Post
I haven't watched it, but judging from the comments in this thread I get the impression that maybe it suffers from similar problems as the 'Caprica' prequel to 'Battlestar Galactica'?
It had a slower pacing, created a much different mood, and ultimately didn't really have that much in common with the main show.

The real question will be how it is doing on the *third* episode.

The first one they get on hype. The second they get on "well, maybe *now* things will pick up." The third, however, will probably only get viewers if the second is interesting.

With tonight being episode 2, and the the numbers later this week,we'll see if there's a drop off or not. But you're correct we wont really be bale to tell anything till episode 3.

You (in general) have to remember that in the TWD universe the basic conceit is that Zombies aren't a thing, Romero never did Night of the Living Dead and so forth. So they have no idea what the hell is going on......From the previews it looks like tonight's episode will show the initial government response, what the the LAPD riot gear and army clearing out areas.

Well, I thought episode Two was good. It seems like the authorities are showing some knowledge, with those in the biosuits showing up to deal with the body and the public at large having no idea what's going on.

Richards

Legend
I couldn't believe the conspiracy kid who got his knife back got screwed out of his cache of food. Gee, thanks, guidance counselor lady! (I've seen two episodes now, and none of the characters' names have lodged in my head. Not a good sign.)

Johnathan

I couldn't believe the conspiracy kid who got his knife back got screwed out of his cache of food. Gee, thanks, guidance counselor lady! (I've seen two episodes now, and none of the characters' names have lodged in my head. Not a good sign.)

Johnathan
I saw the replay of the first episode followed by the second episode, and none of the character's names lodged in my head either. So yeah, I agree, not a good sign.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
(I've seen two episodes now, and none of the characters' names have lodged in my head. Not a good sign.)

Hrm.... I need to start doing this, testing myself. Though I'm really bad at names. I think one of the kids' names had a 'K' sound. Maybe Chris? Or Kyle. Or maybe Qbert.

Then there's Dad. And Mom. And Mom #2. Was the other son name Dave? Don't remember the daughter's name.

Yeah, I'm bad with names...

Remove ads