D&D 5E 5e EPIC MONSTER UPDATES

dave2008

Legend
I still disagree with capping things at +10, and would probably still cap them at +20, to get that +30 total, allowing for DC 35+ tasks like bending adamantium, tracking druids using 'pass without trace' and successfully sneak attacking Tiamat despite passive perception 36 and true sight

Are you getting +30 by profiency +20 and ability +10 = +30? Because as it stand now in my system:

Greater Gods: +10 prof., +15 ability, +5 artifact = +30
Greater Primordials: +10 prof,. +20 ability = +30
20th lvl PCs (w/ current Epic boons/alternates): +6 prof., +10 ability., +5 artifact = +21

That makes them (PCs) individually as strong as a lesser god and in a group the can take on intermediate or possibly greater gods. Personally if you want greater bonuses than that I would just expand the epic boons/ alt rewards to allow ability scores higher than 30. After all, it is your great strength, not proficiency in bending bars, that allows you to bend admantium IMHO.

If you allow the PCs to get stats has high as 40 (my soft cap for greater gods) then you are looking at +15+6 = +21, that gives you a chance (more so w/ advantage) to bend those adamantium bars. And then, if that is not enough, expand the epic boons to allow PCs to get proficiency to +10. Then you have +25 and your really rocking!

Why are Tiamat and Bahamut greater gods. And why is Lolth a Intermediate one. All three of them are lesser gods.

Also as of 5e Intermediate gods don't exist any longer any in that catagory would fall under Lesser or greater now.

dave2008

Legend
Why are Tiamat and Bahamut greater gods. And why is Lolth a Intermediate one. All three of them are lesser gods.

Also as of 5e Intermediate gods don't exist any longer any in that catagory would fall under Lesser or greater now.
Thank you for the post! Here are my thoughts:

I elevated Tiamat and Bahamut to greater gods because that is where I think they belong. None of this is canon, it is me sharing how I would like to do Epic threats in 5e. I think the head dragon gods should be at the top of the pantheon, so that is where I put them.

Lolth was a lesser god in 1e and a greater god in 4e, so I thought an intermediate god was a good place for her. I am open to suggestions for a different ranking.

5e also does not have attributes and CRs above 30. This is a 5e homebrew pantheon. I thought putting intermediate gods back in would help organize things better. So I added them back.

dave2008

Legend
I have added Fraz-Urb'luu to the demon princes category. This completes the updated demon lords/princes from Out of the Abyss.

Also, I'm trying a more graphic version of the stat block (since it is easier here than it was at WotC forums) with Fraz. Let me know what you think. If it is well received I will update the current entries to this format as well as new posts.

Wolf118

Explorer
That's a lot of work! Good job on it, and thanks.

Do you have any plans to do some of the epic-level monsters from previous editions? Examples: Devastation Vermin, Abominations, Primal Elementals

dave2008

Legend
That's a lot of work! Good job on it, and thanks.

Do you have any plans to do some of the epic-level monsters from previous editions? Examples: Devastation Vermin, Abominations, Primal Elementals

Your welcome! And yes, I want to fill this with as many epic threats as possible. I would love for other people to contribute as well. If you have a link (or source book) to a specific monster you want updated post it and I will try to prioritize it.

dave2008

Legend
I have updated Tiamat and all the demon princes (that were previously completed) to the new graphic format. I hope you like it!

Mercurius

Legend
Good stuff - I look forward to seeing this fleshed out.

That said, why not start with canon as a baseline and then expand from there? For instance, you have Demogorgon as CR 35 and WotC has him as CR 26. Are you simply going for greater "epicness?" That said, I was a bit underwhelmed with the demon princes in Out of the Abyss - I would have expected a bit more. I haven't read it thoroughly, but maybe those are the mortal plane versions and the Abyss versions would be significantly more powerful (+5-10 CR).

I think a good range would be:
Demigods and Epic Monsters: CR 20-29
Lesser gods and elder evil-type primordial monsters: CR 30-39
Greater gods and other cosmic beings: CR 40-50ish
Overgod: No CR (outside the scale)

Or something like that. I like the idea of D&D "gods" not really being "gods" in the theological sense, but more akin to highly evolved beings as in the Marvel Cinematic Universe's take on Asgardians.

In that sense, Demogorgon and other demon princes and lords would be demigods/epic monsters on the material plane, but lesser gods on their home plane.

Remove ads