D&D 5E 5e EPIC MONSTER UPDATES

Pssthpok

First Post
I'm not sure what level that is but 20th isn't up to snuff.

If you want, you can simulate Adam Warlock's trick with wish. Pretty much the point of that spell is to model anything that lesser magic can't handle.

Beyond that, D&D isn't GURPS and it isn't M&M, so it's worth keeping in mind that twisting a dungeon-delver game into a super-hero game is bound to complicate things.

FYI, RAW:
A 20th lvl PC (w/ epic boons/alternates): +6 prof., +10 ability, +3 weapon = +19.

I think if there's an expectation of an uncertain outcome in a fight against PCs, the CR has to be 30 or lower. Otherwise, you don't even need a CR.

If the argument in favor of stats on CR 31+ monsters starts with "well, if they're covered in artifacts..." then that's on the DM. A party of modestly-dressed level 20 PCs has next to no hope against a CR 30. That's the point, and every magic item in the party is a willful concession from the DM aimed at giving the PCs more range in terms of what they can kill before it kills them. If you think the PC's need more killing range, lower your monster CRs, don't reinvent the wheel is all I'm saying.

Orcus is a lesser deity, CR 26. Raising his CR raises the bar on everything else at the same level power, and that's a lot of unnecessary revision especially if the point of raising Orcus to that level is to make him unbeatable. If that's the point, just say he's unbeatable! If that's not the point, you're already done!

Anyway, I know this is just not my corner of the kitchen so I'll go back to lurking. I just wanted to drop a few coppers on the table.

dave2008

Legend
I think there are many types of D&D, and people who think all gaming above level 5, or above level 9 is munchkin gaming are common. But I think there are just as many people who think the level 20 characters might be too weak in 5th edition. In terms of Genre, Conan the Barbarian and Lord of the Rings are low magic settings. Harry Potter and Xena were mid to high magic settings. Oddly enough, though Sci Fi, Doctor Who is a high magic setting, where Save or Suck/Die was as common as breathing.

Most powerful Wizard I've ever seen? Adam Warlock. He turns a planetoid (planet sized object) into some kind of transition metal (dimensional artifact spell component) that reacts with a dimensional fracture in the universe that would otherwise allow Outer Gods/Old Ones from the "Cancerverse" to float through. It both explodes the planet and fixes the universe while blocking uber gods. I'm not sure what level that is but 20th isn't up to snuff.

Shintashi, I have reserved two posts on this thread, one for epic boons and another for epic spells. I would love to ad some epic spells, but don't know where to begin. If you have some ideas I would love to add them, or if you want to start your on thread I could link to it from mine. Let me know.

dave2008

Legend
If you want, you can simulate Adam Warlock's trick with wish. Pretty much the point of that spell is to model anything that lesser magic can't handle.

Beyond that, D&D isn't GURPS and it isn't M&M, so it's worth keeping in mind that twisting a dungeon-delver game into a super-hero game is bound to complicate things.

I think if there's an expectation of an uncertain outcome in a fight against PCs, the CR has to be 30 or lower. Otherwise, you don't even need a CR.

If the argument in favor of stats on CR 31+ monsters starts with "well, if they're covered in artifacts..." then that's on the DM. A party of modestly-dressed level 20 PCs has next to no hope against a CR 30. That's the point, and every magic item in the party is a willful concession from the DM aimed at giving the PCs more range in terms of what they can kill before it kills them. If you think the PC's need more killing range, lower your monster CRs, don't reinvent the wheel is all I'm saying.

Orcus is a lesser deity, CR 26. Raising his CR raises the bar on everything else at the same level power, and that's a lot of unnecessary revision especially if the point of raising Orcus to that level is to make him unbeatable. If that's the point, just say he's unbeatable! If that's not the point, you're already done!

Anyway, I know this is just not my corner of the kitchen so I'll go back to lurking. I just wanted to drop a few coppers on the table.

The point is that typical 20th lvl PCs couldn't take down much of anything above CR 25 with this system. That is working as intended. If you want to fight above that, you need to go with boons and epic equipment. That is working as intended.

Finally, I like stats for gods, but I don't subscribe to the philosophy that because it has stats it can be killed by PCs.

dave2008

Legend
I have update the Empyrean, Imix, and Solar to the new graphic standard. That completes the updates to all the epic threats of have done thus far and that I had ported over from the WotC forum. I am going to take a little break for a week or so before I start posting more content.

Also, everything I have posted so far is a draft. I would love to get any thoughts and opinions for improvements. Also, and suggestions on what to stat next are appreciated.

ccooke

Adventurer
Small nitpick: I think your XP calculation for level 36 is off a bit. 34-35 added 25,000xp. 36-37 adds 25,000. 35-36 adds 20,000.

Still reading the rest. I tend not to use higher level stuff like this, but it's nice to have it for the background :)

dave2008

Legend
Small nitpick: I think your XP calculation for level 36 is off a bit. 34-35 added 25,000xp. 36-37 adds 25,000. 35-36 adds 20,000.

Still reading the rest. I tend not to use higher level stuff like this, but it's nice to have it for the background :)

Your right, thank you for picking that up. I will get that corrected.

dave2008

Legend

I have corrected the chart - thank you again for letting me know.

Remove ads