D&D 5E D&D Beyond Support Included In ‘Monsters Of Drakkenheim’ Kickstarter

The first time a Kickstarter has promised DDB support!

Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.55.21.png

WotC has been including select third party products on D&D Beyond for some months now, including product from Ghostfire Gaming, Kobold Press, Critical Role, and others.

Monsters of Drakkenheim from the Dungeon Dudes (who are associated with Ghostfire Gaming)--who already have two million dollar Kickstarters to their name, with this one looking likely also--promises D&D Beyond support in advance. It's a 300 page monster book for their highly successful setting. There's also the usual selection of dice, minis, pins, bookmarks, dice bags, plushies, and so on.

150+ New 5e monsters inspired by Eldritch Horrors. Harvest felled foes to craft loot. Engage epic bosses. Explore forbidden lairs.

This is the first time a Kickstarter has included DDB support--you can't have a Kickstarter-funded project on DM's Guild--and it makes it clear that WotC is actively forming long-term partnerships with some publishers to expand the offerings available on their platform. To get the D&D Beyond version, you can add on a $35 VTT license (there are also Roll20 and Foundry options).

Reynard

Legend
If you are not playing 5e anyway, then I am not sure how a different 5e bestiary would help you either though
It's still the mover. I just want to see talented folks like the Dungeon Dudes to reach a little farther than yet another bestiary based on overplayed "eldritch horror" tropes.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Drakkenheim is pretty well done. Dungeons of Drakkenheim, which you can get on D&D Beyond now, is quite a well done little cosmic horror sandbox, and it doesn't overdo the tentacles and body horror angle. I mean, it's definitely there, but the idea of impersonal apocalypse and people just dealing with it is a stronger theme. They also showed a willingness to use existing monsters that I enjoyed quite a bit. I liked it better than the other D&D Beyond Grimdark book (Lairs of something or other). Even though I love the idea of a lair-based monster book, that one came off as a bit too juvenile for me to use much of.

I'm happy D&DB is using third party products like this. It's a step toward exposing people who are "official rules only!" to the larger world that's out there, and that's a good thing.

Any new about the Apothecary class (Sebastian Crowe's Guide to Drakkenheim) in D&DBeyond.

Wouldn't you like the PC species from Grim Hollow in D&DB too? I wonder if the Wechselkind (* In German languange, all names, even common ones, begin with a capital letter.) could be magical girls with steampunk + gothic lolita look, something like the doll Robbeca Steam (Monster High)...(I have said nothing wrong what sounded kinky, have I?).

Last edited:

Any new about the Apothecary class (Sebastian Crowe's Guide to Drakkenheim) in D&DBeyond.

Wouldn't you like the PC species from Grim Hollow in D&DB too? I wonder if the Wechselkind (* In German languange, all names, even common ones, begin with a capital letter.) could be magical girls with lolita fashion...(I have said nothing wrong what sounded kinky, have I?).
If you have to ask the question….

I’m another one feeling all eldritched out at the moment.

But since I usually use homebrew monsters I wouldn’t be interested in another monster book anyway.

thirdkingdom

Hero
Publisher
I don't think of the Philippines (or A Thousand Thousand Islands or the new Kala Mandala) as Polynesian. I think those are all great -- I snatched up Stirring The Hornet's Nest as soon as @thirdkingdom posted about it -- but they're not trying to cover Polynesia per se.

I don't know if I'd presume to answer for either of them, but while they are both Malaysian they see themselves as creating an alternate, mythical southeast Asia that draws from a lot of sources. I'm not sure how much they're influenced by Polynesia (at least, as I understand the term) instead of southeast asia writ large.

Remove ads

Remove ads