D&D 5E D&D Beyond Support Included In ‘Monsters Of Drakkenheim’ Kickstarter

The first time a Kickstarter has promised DDB support!

Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.55.21.png

WotC has been including select third party products on D&D Beyond for some months now, including product from Ghostfire Gaming, Kobold Press, Critical Role, and others.

Monsters of Drakkenheim from the Dungeon Dudes (who are associated with Ghostfire Gaming)--who already have two million dollar Kickstarters to their name, with this one looking likely also--promises D&D Beyond support in advance. It's a 300 page monster book for their highly successful setting. There's also the usual selection of dice, minis, pins, bookmarks, dice bags, plushies, and so on.

150+ New 5e monsters inspired by Eldritch Horrors. Harvest felled foes to craft loot. Engage epic bosses. Explore forbidden lairs.

This is the first time a Kickstarter has included DDB support--you can't have a Kickstarter-funded project on DM's Guild--and it makes it clear that WotC is actively forming long-term partnerships with some publishers to expand the offerings available on their platform. To get the D&D Beyond version, you can add on a $35 VTT license (there are also Roll20 and Foundry options).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I know, I said many themes already have books out there, not just the eldritch one ;)
I could have sworn one of those two companies did a Mythos bestiary, but I'm probably forgetting one of the companies that specializes in these. Lots of good choices out there, for sure. I picked up Legendary's Latin American Monsters as a supplement for my Radiant Citadel campaign.

Scribe

Legend
If you watch Kickstarter obsessively like I do, there is almost always a "grimdark setting" for 5E being crowdfunded, and they seem to all succeed, as do grimdark bestiaries.

It's a mystery to me who's buying all of these -- seriously, there have been at least a dozen of these books in the last two years -- but there's a definite audience for them. If this is where the Dudes' passion is -- and this all comes out of their long-running actual play campaign -- so be it.

People who desperately want one to kick off into the mainstream to save us from the tone WotC is pushing. ;)

Reynard

Legend
many of which also exist already (asian mythology, european mythology, clockworks, undead, fae, the horde (goblins, ogres, etc), dragons, …)

Given the success of the KS, you cannot argue with it finding a market ;)
I give exactly zero [EXPLETIVES] about the Markey. I literally only care about what might ve of interest to me. And I literally could not be bothered to buy another monster manual focused on "eldritch horrors." It is played out and boring and low hanging fruit.

mamba

Legend
I give exactly zero [EXPLETIVES] about the Markey. I literally only care about what might ve of interest to me. And I literally could not be bothered to buy another monster manual focused on "eldritch horrors." It is played out and boring and low hanging fruit.
eh, they sell, so there is demand, I cannot really find any fault with them creating what 1) they like doing and 2) sells well. I am not sure I need another fae one, I feel like I saw five of those for 5e last year

Your previous post did not sound quite like that ;)
Sure. I like those guys. And if I was playing 5E I might even be tempted. But come on, there are 100 other potential Bestiary themes.

If you are not playing 5e anyway, then I am not sure how a different 5e bestiary would help you either though

Remove ads

Remove ads