D&D 5E 5e EPIC MONSTER UPDATES

dave2008

Legend
You might want to add the bold red text for Cthulu. Also, this stuff is great, though I'm not entirely understanding the reason for Tiamat and Bahumut being of different power levels as well as being on par with Tharizdun (Moradin as well, why is he up there?)

Nice catch on the text, however, Cthulhu wasn't in red because I hadn't updated his stat block to comply with the revised "Epic Monster Stats by CR" table. He has been updated now and the text is bold red as well.

I know it is not D&D canon, but I've always treated Tiamat and Bahamut has greater gods (I think because Dragonlance had a big influence on my formative D&D years and I dig the Babylonian creation mythology). So this more my personal mythology than canon. I am thinking about including "avatars" of them that would be a more typical D&D CR.

The reason Tiamat has a higher CR is I've always like the idea that good has to struggle against the larger evil brute. Also, they are both dragon gods, but Tiamat is just bigger and can do more damage - that is what CR is usually based on. It is harder to define Bahamut's traits.

I am actually think of dropping Tharizdun down some. All the resources agree that he is imprisoned, and you don't get stronger in solitary (I just did a survey of 3 prisons for my job last summer and I know what I'm talking about on that one;). I'm think CR 36 or 37.

Mordain is so high because he was among the most powerful of the greater gods in the 1e Deities and Demigods (400hp - max hit points) and it was hinted that he was the most powerful god in 4e. Not sure what he was in 2e-3e (I've only played 1e, 4e, & 5e. So I figured I would put him at the top. I am open to suggestions for changes though. Actually, all of the rankings are open to change if someone can give me an explanation for a revision. The only changes I wouldn't make are to Tiamat, Bahamut, and Ahat-Hir. Though I would entertain making a lower powered versions as well.

UnknownDyson

Explorer
I am actually think of dropping Tharizdun down some. All the resources agree that he is imprisoned, and you don't get stronger in solitary (I just did a survey of 3 prisons for my job last summer and I know what I'm talking about on that one;). I'm think CR 36 or 37.

Tharizdun is the big bad of the entirety of D&D in my opinion. I see him as the worst possible threat; If not bound he'd end the entirety of the multiverse. So he has proxies and pawns such as the elemental princes and the demon lords to wreak enough havoc to weaken the foundation of reality enough so that he can be freed.

Lets look at the guy's rap sheet.

- Created the Abyss
- Manipulates Mortals and demons from an inter dimensional prison in which he is literally phased out of reality, but is some how still able to occasionally interact with mortals and other creatures.
- A god so heinous and terrible that the other gods literally wiped all mention of him from existence for fear of him returning.
- Was confronted by all of the early gods (Both evil and good) to stop him from destroying the multiverse in a cataclysmic battle, which the result of said battle was his imprisonment in voidharrow BECAUSE THEY COULD NOT KILL HIM, it was beyond their powers.

As epic evil outsiders go.....not much worse than Tharizdun, at least imo.

dave2008

Legend
Tharizdun is the big bad of the entirety of D&D in my opinion. I see him as the worst possible threat; If not bound he'd end the entirety of the multiverse. So he has proxies and pawns such as the elemental princes and the demon lords to wreak enough havoc to weaken the foundation of reality enough so that he can be freed.

Lets look at the guy's rap sheet.

- Created the Abyss
- Manipulates Mortals and demons from an inter dimensional prison in which he is literally phased out of reality, but is some how still able to occasionally interact with mortals and other creatures.
- A god so heinous and terrible that the other gods literally wiped all mention of him from existence for fear of him returning.
- Was confronted by all of the early gods (Both evil and good) to stop him from destroying the multiverse in a cataclysmic battle, which the result of said battle was his imprisonment in voidharrow BECAUSE THEY COULD NOT KILL HIM, it was beyond their powers.

As epic evil outsiders go.....not much worse than Tharizdun, at least imo.

UnknownDyson, thank you for your thoughts on the big T. I don't disagree that Tharizdun is often considered the big bad in D&D lore. However, he has never had any stats as far as I can tell. I do currently have him at CR 40, which is the highest possible for a god. I just think he will have gotten weaker while imprisoned (that is probably the intent anyway), that is why I am thinking of dropping him down.

Now his lore in pre-4e is, from what I can tell, mostly whispers in the dark. He seems more like a schemer than a front line brute. That doesn't make you all powerful CR wise, but could make you a serious threat to the Cosmos nontheless. I don't know a lot about him pre-4e. If you do, any info would be helpful.

Now in 4e (which is what you seem to be referencing), we get a bit more information. But let's dig a little deeper into your points (my quotes and info are mostly from the 4e Demonomicon, pages 7-9).

- Created the Abyss: All Tharizdun did was plant the seed of evil, created by the Obyriths. It is also noted that Tharizdun was "hungry for power" as he did not have the power he needed to rule the gods. The shard gave him more power, but it also corrupted him from the influence of the Obyriths (and released the Obyriths), and drove him insane. Furthermore it is noted that the shard gave Tharizdun great power, "..far more power than the obyriths could ever have predicted." Thus, ultimately a great deal of his might comes from the shard. Thus, without the shard = not so strong.

-Manipulate Mortals and demons (and elementals & primordials): yes, this is pretty consistent through all editions. However, it is also noted that he could not sway the most powerful demon lords and "...rather than risk defeat in single combat, Tharizdun strove to marshal the power of the Elemental Chaos and its denziens..." So again, he is more of a schemer and tactician (warlord) than a front line fighter. It is also noted that the most power followers joined his cause because they wanted revenge for the meddling of the gods in the creation of the world.

-Wiped his name from the records: This is true, but this doesn't tell us much about him. It seems to be as much for his madness and his desire to destroy the cosmos (thought that doesn't really seem to be his motivation in 4e - he wants to rule, not destroy). Doesn't really tell us much.

- Was confronted by all the gods and imprisoned, but still influential: Several items here, he fought the gods, but it wasn't just Tharizdun vs. all the gods. Tharizdun had an army of elementals and primordials fighting the gods as he wished to claim the Astral Sea. This was the start of the Dawn War. In fact, it is even mentioned that it his lieutenant was primordial, Miska the Wolf Spider, and after Tharizdun was captured Miska continued the fight against the gods. It was Miska and the Queen of Chaos that nearly defeated the gods, not Tharizdun. My point here is that Tharizdun was able marshal a powerful army that he needed to take on the gods. He could not do it alone.
Unfortunately the fact that he can influence events outside his prison doesn't tell us a lot about him. We simply don't know if this is something exceptional for a god or not. Again, drawing on my experience with mortal prisons, I would suggest it is not.
Also, it should be noted that in the 4e lore, the gods didn't even realize they could be killed until around about the Dawn War (I believe this is from the article on Bane in Dragon), so it may not have even crossed their minds to do anything but imprison him. In addition, several primordials were not killed but imprisoned instead during the Dawn War. It took 3 gods to imprison Mual-Tar and it is level 35, the same as Tiamat in 4e.

Finally, it is also good to remember that Asmodeus and Orcus took a fragment of the Shard and each used it to kill a god. Asmodeus was only an angel at the time. So clearly the shard is very powerful.

So, after reviewing all this information, I am actually more convinced that I need to reduce him in power. Unless you have some more concrete information from earlier editions, I just don't see a justification for him being higher, especially without the power from the Shard of Evil. I actually now think CR 37 might be his top end without the shard and he could be even lower after being in prison for eons.

So do you still think Tharizdun should be a higher CR, and if so why? I am open to moving him (I already did once), I just need evidence/arguments for why.

Last edited:

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
Damn some great work here. Has anyone play-tested any of these big bad guys against players? I would love to hear about the results!

dave2008

Legend
Damn some great work here. Has anyone play-tested any of these big bad guys against players? I would love to hear about the results!

Well to be honest most of these are not meant to be played with the standard game. You can use what I have posted/will post here up to about monsters of CR 25, higher than that and you need to a highly optimized party and/or use the Epic Rules in the DMG (will get to about CR 30 or so monsters) or the Epic Character Updates I'm also working on at this thread: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?469018-5e-Epic-Character-Updates&p=6706223#post6706223 , which will get your character up to Greater God level when I am finished and allow all these beasts to be playable.

So, to answer your question, no I don't think anyone has play-tested these yet. After I get them all posted I might run them through their paces and make improvements as needed. These are all considered drafts at this point anyway.

UnknownDyson

Explorer
Now his lore in pre-4e is, from what I can tell, mostly whispers in the dark. He seems more like a schemer than a front line brute.

Fair points all in all, I will do my best to make my case. Regarding Tharizdun pre 4e he has always been regarded as a major threat. Back then it seems that he was a deity in the greyhawk campaign setting and existed in almost the same capacity that he does now, except that he wasn't imprisoned. He was the main antagonist of the Gord the Rogue novels by Gary Gygax. He was described as The Anathema, The Undoer, The Ender, and the Father of Elder Evils. So still very much a being of entropy. Tharizdun has also been described by some as a god originating from the far realm. It has been hinted at in some source books that the forgotten realms deity Ghaunadar is an unimprisoned aspect of Tharizdun (I can provide sources if you like). I would agree that he is a schemer you are definitely right there. His masquerading as the Elder Elemental Eye to trick primordials and other elementals is proof of that. But I would argue that his goal among all editions is always the complete annihilation of existence. The means might change but across the various editions that remains constant.

- Created the Abyss: Thus, without the shard = not so strong.

I agree with you here as well. 5e seems to draw from the 4e rendition of Tharizdun. The Chained God is imprisoned in the Voidharrow only accessible from the lowest point of Carceri the prison plane. While I agree that he is certainly much weaker without the shard, it is still clear that he can reach out of his prison and touch the planes. How is this possible? He is essentially D&D public enemy #1 except only Elder Gods such as Moradin have knowledge of his existence. This is just a theory, but I believe that as long as the shard of evil exists, Tharizdun will be able to use its power to some degree, even if he is locked away in the most maximum security prison plane in existence. That's pretty impressive. While imprisoned the potency of his objects of power have not waned, his artifacts, the Theoparts, Scorpion crown, Crystal in the Ebon Flame, and 333 gems, are all of epic item level.

-Manipulate Mortals and demons (and elementals & primordials): However, it is also noted that he could not sway the most powerful demon lords and "...rather than risk defeat in single combat, Tharizdun strove to marshal the power of the Elemental Chaos and its denziens..." So again, he is more of a schemer and tactician (warlord) than a front line fighter. It is also noted that the most power followers joined his cause because they wanted revenge for the meddling of the gods in the creation of the world.

Demon Lords are notoriously hard to control that has always been true. While Tharizdun was able to marshal most of the abyss, (he put guys as powerful as Miska the Wolf Spider under his thumb) he was unable to convince demons like Demogorgon and Baphomet to follow him, probably because they submit to no will but their own. It should also be noted that engaging in a battle with Demogorgon and other demon lords to gain control over them would leave Tharizdun open to attack by the gods and the obyriths. He was the head honcho in the abyss at the time and simply had too many enemies.

(thought that doesn't really seem to be his motivation in 4e - he wants to rule, not destroy).

I agree that there is a strange dichotomy there but if you look to his 4e artifacts like the Crystal of EbonFlame and his brief descriptions in the source books his ultimate goal always seems to be complete entropy, no mattter how its accomplished. Quoted from his Dogma "Channel power to the Chained God, so he can break his chains. Retrieve lost relics and shrines to the Chained God. Pursue the obliteration of the world, in anticipation of the Chained God’s liberation." "The very threads of existence must be torn asunder, then burned, then the ashes scattered, until all is nothing and no one exists to remember existence."

Unfortunately the fact that he can influence events outside his prison doesn't tell us a lot about him. We simply don't know if this is something exceptional for a god or not. Again, drawing on my experience with mortal prisons, I would suggest it is not.
I would argue the contrary. He started the Cult of Elemental Evil (definitely one of the most famous adventure modules in D&D) although they have been destroyed and reformed a number of times across the editions we are still dealing with them today. Cue PotA 5e. He loosed a new strain of demons (Plague demons, I believe) from his prison in Voidharrow which started an epidemic across the multiverse (Abyssal Plague novels). In 4e when Tharizdun was defeated and imprisoned by the gods it was stated that Asmodeus was his jailor for a brief time. He was still an angel at this point but he abandoned his post after Pazuzu convinced him that his station should be higher. He then flew into the abyss and grabbed a piece of the shard of evil which led to the Ruby Rod of course. The rest is history. Tharizdun remained imprisoned of course, but there might be something to that. Tharizdun is also credited with corrupting the Archfey the Queen of Air and Darkness with one of his artifacts which leads to the eventual formation of the Unseelie Court.

My point is he has done so much in the realms and other campaign settings for someone who is supposed to be incarcerated for all eternity, and he continues to touch the planes. No other god has done what Tharizdun has from a prison plane. Not Vecna, Not Iuz, Not Cyric. I can't think of anyone who has been so influential without being able to actually interact with anyone. (Although I could be wrong, I just don't know of anyone).

Finally, it is also good to remember that Asmodeus and Orcus took a fragment of the Shard and each used it to kill a god. Asmodeus was only an angel at the time. So clearly the shard is very powerful. So do you still think Tharizdun should be a higher CR, and if so why? I am open to moving him (I already did once), I just need evidence/arguments for why.

Yes I do, but after reading your post my opinion has changed somewhat as well. I'm arguing that Tharizdun should be a higher CR because of his corrupting influence not his brute strength, which as you pointed out, without the shard he is less than the terror that he was at the time of the onset of the dawn war. But if you look to what he has done, the potency of his minions ( Astral Dreadnoughts, Zovuts, The Elder Evil Shothragot, Ghaunadar?) and artifacts I think it is clear that he is still very much a problem for everyone. I don't know how that would work mechanically, but I do concede that lowering his CR is probably for the best. I do think he should have some sort of uber corruption mechanic though.

dave2008

Legend
...his artifacts, the Theoparts, Scorpion crown, Crystal in the Ebon Flame, and 333 gems, are all of epic item level.

Thanks again for the response. Do you have more information on these artifacts? When I made a 4e version I couldn't find anything about artifacts for him.

Yes I do, but after reading your post my opinion has changed somewhat as well. I'm arguing that Tharizdun should be a higher CR because of his corrupting influence not his brute strength, which as you pointed out, without the shard he is less than the terror that he was at the time of the onset of the dawn war. But if you look to what he has done, the potency of his minions ( Astral Dreadnoughts, Zovuts, The Elder Evil Shothragot, Ghaunadar?) and artifacts I think it is clear that he is still very much a problem for everyone. I don't know how that would work mechanically, but I do concede that lowering his CR is probably for the best. I do think he should have some sort of uber corruption mechanic though.

I think you made good points. Clearly Tharizdun has been a major factor throughout the history of D&D and I agree with trying do develop some type of potent corruption/manipulation mechanic. Finally, your post gave me an idea. What if he was a Sauron type character. Very powerful, but less so without his artifacts. A master manipulator and schemer, whom you don't want to ever be reunited with his artifacts.

I'm thinking CR 37-38 without artifacts and CR 42-45 with all his artifacts (essentially more powerful than possible for a greater god). How does that sound?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases