DM rewards for running Adventurer's League - what are your thoughts?

What do you think of DM rewards for D&D Adventurers League

• Poll closed .

Scorpienne

First Post
This question has hopped up on various Facebook groups for Adventurers League again and again. I was wondering what folks thought here.

The summary of the discussion on Facebook seems to be:

• DM rewards are enough. It's not like the DMs who run games are doing it for the rewards anyway.
  • DM rewards are not quite enough. DMs deserve a few more XP.
  • DM rewards are way too low! DMs deserve full XP, GP, and their pick of the loot. No wait, that would be unbalancing!

And there's no telling what folks really think, and it changes day-to-day, and from group to group.

So what do you think?

Paige

Anthraxus

Explorer
I'd say at least half of what the PCs would receive. Also, I would like to see something like a special cert, like the Aasimar or Kelemvor Death Cleric once a season- or something similar.

Nutation

Explorer
I do a significant amount of judging. I find the rewards "good enough", though hardly generous.
The original campaign rules gave a small amount of XP but no gold. In theory, then, I could have pushed a character up to 5th level or so and broke. As of Season 2, the XP comes with a small amount of gold. I can create and outfit characters at level 2, avoiding that very fragile and limited first level.
But what works for my style isn't going to work for everyone. Judge XP is around 1/5 of what the players get, so no one is going to be able to use judge XP to keep a character at the same level as the PCs he is running for.

darjr

I crit!
I run a ton. I don't think I've ever recorded my dm rewards. Though I think I'll start just so I can maybe have a 5th level to fill out a table if needed.

Alphastream

Adventurer
I think that as our hobby evolves, the more generous the DM rewards, the better. DMs should feel taken care of and special. Full XP and gold seems good, but I would go further. I think we can give the DM a pick of any consumable or magic item that they do not already have, the first time they run the adventure. No cert, just one of the DM's PCs gets to add the item to their log sheet. Worst case, it causes many DMs to want to run a particular adventure at least once. I don't consider that to be a problem.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I've run a large number of sessions. Huge amount of time... and I have enough XP to get a character to 6th level. Although I think the XP awards for Tier 1 are (mostly) fine, the XP awards at higher tiers are insignificant. Running one of the published adventures to 15th level for the PCs (which probably takes about 150-200 hours) gets a DM PC to 300*4 + 600*6 + 900*4 = 8,400 XP... or 5th level.

Run two adventures? Congratulations... that's 6th level!

These things are being looked at, however, and it shouldn't be that long before things start changing.

Cheers!

frupton

First Post
I would like to see improved DM rewards, but I would rather that they be something other than x.p.

From considering the various earlier discussions, my current preference would be some sort of DM credits that DMs earn for each game of public play that they run, which can be redeemed for items, or unlock the ability to play certain races, or access various other character options.

Last edited:

Coreyartus

Explorer
I agree with frupton--it would be nice to see rewards that facilitate DMing, not necessarily playing a PC. Unlocking aspects for your PC could be great, but most of the DMs that I know are in the unfortunate position of not being able to play very often. Rewarding their selfless efforts would be awesome somehow. Dunno what that might be--and the obvious answers like maps and such unfortunately require a lot of resources to make happen... But in the end, I'd rather have a reward for DMing that helps make me a better DM, not one that I can only use if someone else DMs for me... :)

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
Dumb question - what if you only want to DM? What is the value of xp? I'm kind of interested in the AL, but have my hands full with my regular groups for now.

Remove ads