Rugby World Cup

Joker

First Post
The Rugby World Cup (RWC) started yesterday.

Once every four years we get to see the top 20 nations in rugby slug it out until one of them comes out broken, bloodied, bruised but victorious.

Does anyone follow it? Who are you rooting for? Who are you expecting to win?

Dioltach

Legend
My holiday is conflicting with the first week and a half, sadly (and the first time since 1991, I believe, that the whole thing is free-to-air in the Netherlands, too!). Rooting for England (being an Englishman), and going by the match reports of the All Blacks' game so far they might actually do it.

So how about the Boks, though?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
My holiday is conflicting with the first week and a half, sadly (and the first time since 1991, I believe, that the whole thing is free-to-air in the Netherlands, too!). Rooting for England (being an Englishman), and going by the match reports of the All Blacks' game so far they might actually do it.

So how about the Boks, though?

aw poor boks, they're absolutely gutted after being rolled like sashimi

I am hoping Samoa beats them

Dioltach

Legend
So, pretty much all the top teams have been in action. I haven't seen any of it, but the reports seem to be conflicting. Australia are being touted as the team that can stop NZ after failing to score a bonus point against Fiji, France are serious contenders after beating Italy, England are reportedly changing their midfield and everyone has an opinion even though the team hasn't been announced.

So where do we stand? Will the All Blacks struggle if refs aren't scared to sin-bin McCaw? Will Wales overcome their latest injury problems? Will Burgess start for England, and will the gamble pay off? Will France manage without Huget (who I rate very highly)? Will Scotland top their group?

Joker

First Post
Japan has really impressed. Holy crap. Land of the Rising Scrum. I hope they go through to the finals.

But the big news of course if England bowing out of their own World Cup. It must have been a frustrating match to watch for an England fan.

I wonder if the Kiwi's can get their act together. So far, they haven't shown any real cohesion. I suppose we'll see in the knock-out stages.

Dioltach

Legend
I'm not a happy camper. I didn't manage to see either of England's games, so I assume all the blame: I should have been glued to the telly shouting them on.

Joker

First Post
I'm not a happy camper. I didn't manage to see either of England's games, so I assume all the blame: I should have been glued to the telly shouting them on.

They were pretty awful. Joseph was good, so were May and Watson and Ford when he came on. But for the forwards to ignore the threats of Pockock and Hooper, the Pooper combination, by leaving runners isolated was unforgivable. You would think securing a ruck was all they trained for during the week.

Now that England's gone, who are you rooting for?

Dioltach

Legend
My next favourite teams are Scotland and Argentina, but of the teams that stand a realistic chance of winning I'll be cheering for Ireland. They've got steadily better since 2003, and have good depth across the board. I reckon they have the bloody-mindedness to close out the tight games, but they also have the skill and flair to play some entertaining rugby.

Remove ads