D&D 5E [D&D 5e] Greyhawk, City of Thieves

airwalkrr

Adventurer
"One common," the Watch guard said brusquely without so much as a "welcome" or "please" as you entered the River Quarter. Everyone passing through one of Greyhawk's gates between various parts of the city or entering from the wharf along the river handed the guard a copper common as they passed by. For natives of the Free City of Greyhawk, it was a reminder of the city's severe reputation. For those new to the so-called "Gem of the Flanaess" it was a rather harsh first impression.

And the people of Greyhawk do not necessarily inspire a sense of opportunity. Most are poor, and within the River Quarter at least, there are beggars on every corner ranging in age from young whelps to the elderly. They try to play upon your pity as you walk the stinking streets and no doubt their occasional close contact was some attempt on their part to pick your pocket. Fortunately, you arrived at the Green Dragon Inn with your purse intact. But there are few signs of the great prosperity the city is said to enjoy. What you see is far more suggestive of a cramped, filthy city full of destitute and downtrodden people.

It is 576 CY, over a decade after the renowned Citadel of Eight set out from the Green Dragon Inn to make their fortunes in the nearby Cairn Hills and ruins of Castle Greyhawk, making themselves very rich in the process. At least that is what you have heard. You are hoping that you can follow in their footsteps, become a wealthy or famous adventurer, and, most important of all, survive to retire. But rich and powerful adventurers scheming plans is not the sight you see as you enter the Green Dragon.

It is evening, and the two-story stone building is alive with activity, the sound of boisterous laughs and the sight of flickering windows attracting custom from all quarters of the city. Most of the shabby clientele are locals, dockway bully-boys or bargefolk looking for cheap drinks and good atmosphere. The Dragon provides the latter in quantity, for its proprietor does little to quell light violence and overtly encourages enthusiastic drinking and carousing. Weapons and armor are allowed (and, you gather, a wise precaution). It is a dangerous place but a friendly one, as long as no one harms the staff. A fierce warning painted upon a wooden placard hangs from chains attached to the ceiling: "Do NOT abuse the staff or you WILL be flogged," a clear and concise message to all.

The Green Dragon’s inviting taproom is swelling to capacity. There are perhaps fifty patrons of various ilk this fine Moonday eve. Against the back wall, to the right of the expansive and well-stocked bar, is a raised platform supporting a private dining area with a fireplace and a long mahogany table capable of seating eight. It is unoccupied at the moment, but the locals refer to this place as the “Lord’s Table,” and you quickly gather that it might be the very place where the legendary adventuring company known as the Citadel of Eight planned their adventures. Perhaps one day you will have a place here.

There is a menu on a chalkboard behind the bar. Along with a listing of various drinks available for purchase, such as house ale, dwarven brandy, and elven firewine, there is a description of food available for order. Along with the usual bread and cheese available at most any tavern, the kitchen’s specialty is “Quij’s Plate,” described by the bartender (a friendly bald man with muscular forearms) as a heaping bowl of sausages and potatoes large enough to please an ogre.

The bar is standing room only. There are only a couple of tables available. While most are occupied by dockworkers, the strange raven-haired bargefolk referred to by some as the Rhenee, and city-folk of generally modest means, you do spy some who appear as if they are as ready for adventure as you. One table is occupied by a red-haired dwarf, a beady-eyed man, a boisterous woman, and a solemn cloaked individual. All appear armed, armored, or otherwise equipped for an expedition of some sort. They have what seems to be a map in the center of their table that seems the center of discussion, but they quickly roll it up when anyone, including a barmaid approaches their table. There are also a few individuals examining the "Jobs and Bounties" board, where various offers for work have been posted. You also note others who appear equipped or otherwise ready for adventuring milling about the taproom.

Which of these people or postings might lead you down the road to wealth or fame? Who will become friends? Who might become enemies? Your adventure awaits!

OOC: Posting Guidelines
  • When speaking in-character, use "quotation marks and bold, colored text" when possible. If you're posting from a smartphone/tablet and cannot access the bold, colored text, you can just use quotation marks. Choose a unique color for each character you play (you may eventually have more than one).
  • I reserve the colors Red, Gold, and Green for Hostile, Indifferent, and Friendly NPCs respectively. Note that this only reflects an NPC's apparent attitude; they may conceal their true feelings. Roll a Wisdom (Insight) check if you suspect this.
  • If using inner dialogue, please use Italics.
  • For comments that are entirely out-of-character, please use OOC tags. For out-of-character comments that are private or particularly long, feel free to use SBLOCK tags.
  • You may use any online dice roller that allows linked rolls (example: I rolled 11 on invisiblecastle.com) you like. Please try to be consistent, however you may use an alternate roller if your preferred site is down. You will generally be on the honors system, though I may check links from time to time.
  • Be proactive! In Play-By-Post, it takes a lot of time for a player to ask what roll he or she should make, for the DM to reply, and for the player to make the roll. If a roll is required, I will request it. Otherwise, go with your knowledge of the game mechanics and roll a check pro-actively if you expect one will be required (including your reason for the check or what you are trying to accomplish with the check). I will typically give you the benefit of the doubt on your choice. Common examples include rolling a Charisma (Persuasion) check when meeting an NPC for the first time to make a good impression, rolling an Intelligence (Arcana) check to recall information about the elemental planes, or rolling a Wisdom (Perception) check when looking for traps or secret doors (otherwise I will use your Passive Perception).
  • Please include a mini stat block with every post that includes the following: Character Name, Passive Perception and Initiative modifier. This will save me time for some of the most commonly needed information. I will roll for surprise and initiative when needed. Roll your Dexterity (Stealth) check proactively if you suspect combat and do not want to leave the fate of surprise with my dice.
  • The spirit of the rules is more important than the letter of the law. As long as I feel you are following in the spirit of the rules, anything your character does is fair.
  • Most importantly: have fun!

Nestled within the text above are your hooks to adventure. Some possible ideas (although you are not limited to these):
  • Speak to the bartender.
  • Check out the listings on the "Jobs and Bounties" board.
  • Sit down at a table and order something from one of the barmaids.

Greyhawk, City of Thieves on Obsidian Portal
OOC and Recruiting Thread

Characters
[MENTION=6787159]Skarsgard[/MENTION]: Arion Wenter, Half-Elf Rogue Charlatan
[MENTION=552]Creamsteak[/MENTION]: Mialee of the Cards, Human Bard Entertainer (Custom Background, Playing Cards : Disguise Kit, Sleight of Hand : Acrobatics) (Custom Class Feature: Spellcasting Focus-Burnt Playing Cards)
[MENTION=6800191]Spartain104[/MENTION]: Kail Ryon, Human Monk Hermit
[MENTION=8858]hafrogman[/MENTION]: Davis Gray, Human Wizard Outlander (Custom Background, Artisan's Tools: Musical Instrument)
[MENTION=913]Schmoe[/MENTION]: Helmut Krauthammer, Human Fighter Soldier
[MENTION=36150]Herobizkit[/MENTION]: Samara Renae, Half-Elf Cleric Acolyte

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
Davis looks around the interior of the Green Dragon and considers the road that brought him here, and where it will go from here. The "Gem of the Flanaess" has not quite lived up to expectations yet. The city, at least the parts Davis has managed to see, is rather dirtier than one might hope. Not the clean dirt of the high plains, or a forest floor ... the sort of oily residue of too many people crammed in one place.

He flags down a passing barmaid while he considers next steps. "Get me a mug of the house ale, please."

The damage that paying for food and drink and lodging would do to his money pouch would mount fast. Cities were not his normal stomping grounds, but this city was supposed to be different - a jumping off point for all manner of adventures. That was the goal, come to Greyhawk, see the sites, and then move on to bigger and better things.

He finds his feet have taken him to the jobs board. Perhaps a way to earn some coin in the meantime would not go astray. He leans heavily on his heavy oaken staff and considers the postings.

OOC: Davis Grey - Passive Perception 9 - Initiative +2

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
"Of course, darling," a buxom barmaid says as Davis orders his ale, batting her eyelashes and flashing him a winning smile. "The name's Imogen, or just Im if ye like." She returns a few minutes later with the ale, ducking and dodging through the throng of customers grasping for her attentions, not to mention her affections. She calls several of them by name along the way. "Burt," "Big Tom," "Ugly Artus," and "Boscoe," are heard as she passes by them, clearly regulars, also rivermen by the look of them. She hands Davis the mug and winks as she collects the coin. "And let me know if there's anything else, love. Just ask for Im."

As Davis considers the postings, he notes a number of considerable bounties:
  • A crude drawing of a very ugly face has the name "Grob the Mighty, aprx. 9' tall, wanted dead, last seen in the Cairn Hills south of Steaming Springs, 500 gold orbs for proof of death, contact Governor-Mayor Kordek Tuln for payment"
  • A simple posting that simply declares: "WANTED! for unlawful thievery, Jason the Hand, preferred alive, 54 Box Street, Foreign Quarter, a princely reward"
  • A poster with the symbol of a cudgel that reminds one of St. Cuthbert, god of wisdom states "WANTED, Trustworthy persons to assist in the collection of items for Pelor's Day celebrations. Only persons of sound morality and ethics need apply. Apply to: Sergeant Erkennis, Guild of Nightwatchment, Guild Station, Blue Boar Street, River Quarter."
  • Treasure-seekers? Have your fortune told with Madame Varsha, only FIVE NOBLES per fortune!!!
  • Standing Reward, 3 silver nobles ea. for bandit scalps taken along River Road, 10 orbs for "Captain Hawk." Collect with Jr. Sgt. Ayhab, Watch Station, Five Corner Way, River Quarter

Schmoe

Adventurer
Helmut enters the bar quietly, slightly hunched under a heavy cloak. His angry blue eyes scan the room, and he begins to shoulder his way through the crowd. The throng parts easily at the sight of his battle-hardened figure, and he heads toward the bar. Reaching it, he looks for the bartender. As he prepares to snarl out an order, fitting for his mood, he pauses. He closes his eyes briefly, struggling to master some sort of inner anger, and when he opens them the anger has been replaced by weariness.

"Barkeep. Ale please. I need an ale, and maybe some good fortune."

[sblock=Mini Stat Block]Helmut Krauthammer
Passive Perception = 11
Initiative Modifier = +1
[/sblock]

Creamsteak

Explorer
"I guess boots were the right choice..."

Mialee slipped into the bar and let herself take it all in. She breathed in the sour sweaty smell of harbor workers. She gazed back at the leering eyes of the drunks, thieves, and worse. The excitement inside herself she couldn't contain. She just started giggling and smiling.

"Maybe a game... maybe a drink... maybe a date... maybe an adventure... maybe all four..."

First, her eyes looked for any tables playing dice or cards or any such thing. Then her ears listened for music or prose. Finally she used her own [roll0] to figure out who was paying more attention to the crowd or the serving girls or even other people's pockets. When she had surveyed the place mentally and taken note of as much as she could, she slinked off to the bar.

"Two down, two to go."

She smiled at whichever would serve her sooner... the muscular bartender or any of the friendly serving girls...

"This place is incredible! This whole city has been amazing! Everything that's been said about it... everything is so real. So authentic! I love it!"

Mialee picked out enough coin for a mug of ale and a tiny tip. She didn't intend to pay her whole way tonight, but it was also important to her to show her own gratitude for the service. She silently contemplated the poor people she had seen in the streets on the way here. How could so many people live in such castles, both figuratively and literally, while their fellow men, women, and children starved in the shadows? Everyone here was looking for an escape in one form or another. As soon as she could sip her drink she would... and anyone paying close attention would see her features take a much more sorrowful expression. As she looked up she grinned again... ever the actor.

OOC: Mialee
Init +3, Perception 12

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
Davis find himself grinning foolishly back an Imogen's retreating form. Perhaps the city wasn't as bad as all that after all. He sips his ale quietly and consider the postings available. The proffered five hundred orbs jumps out immediately to his eyes, but the prospect of taking on a nine foot tall brute does not appeal. The 'princely reward' for the thief's capture was more vague, but also much closer, and hopefully less dangerous. But then, catching a thief in the city might take someone more familiar with its streets. Slaughtering bandits for three silver apiece sounded truly bloodthirsty, and if there were enough bandits to make it profitable, quite dangerous for a lone man.

He blinks slightly at Madame Varsha's posting. Not a job, but an advertisement. He briefly considers posting his own 'Wizard for hire' notice among the board's clutter, but cannot quite decide how to word it to avoid giving the impression that he would be calling down fire and lightning upon people's foes.

No, all things considered, the posting for people of sound moral quality was probably his best bet. He considered himself a good person, and retrieving or moving things was good enough work for a healthy young man. The post is not quite clear exactly what would be entailed, or what the pay would be like. But still something to inquire upon, probably on the morrow. For now he parks himself and his mug of ale near the board and surveys other likely souls as they enter the tavern, or come to the posting board themselves.

Skarsgard

Explorer
The jauntily clad elf surveyed the clientèle of the inn, his pockets were empty and surely there would be a mark in here somewhere. Taking a closer look he tries to spot someone with the tell tale signs of a bulging purse in need of relief.

Honestly, this city was enough to force a person to look for honest work of all things. Ensuring his red beret was sitting just-so, he wandered through the crowd looking for an opportunity to lighten someone's load while he moves over to the job-board. He suppresses a shudder at the thought, but needs must.

He quickly scanned the room for those that seemed to be paying too much attention to others and with a sigh looked at the list of jobs.

[sblock=mechanics]

[roll0] to notice bulging purses
[roll1] to appear casual
[roll2] to notice any observers
[roll3] to relieve someone of their purse if the opportunity presents itself

Passive Perception = 15
init = +3

[/sblock]

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Samara Renae - PP 16 - Init +4

The smell of booze and fetid breath assaults and offends Samara's senses as she enters the crowded Green Dragon Inn. She wrinkles her freckled nose and squints as she tries to take in the entire scene.

Ugh. It seems my fellow acolytes were right. This place is full of dregs who've nothing better to do than waste their coin.

Samara beings to shoulder her way though the crowd, deftly darting between groups of patrons where able, until she comes upon the "Jobs and Bounties" board. She notes that several people also ogle the board, one of whom appears to be a jauntily clad elf wearing a red beret. She immediately stiffens and steps away to put some distance between herself and the...

Foppish rogue, no doubt.

Samara grimaces as she reads some of the more violent bounties, specifically the request for bandit scalps. She shook her head dismissively, annoyed at the reminder of her Mother's war stories and the gruesome images that she described. Her eyes casually skip over the request for a bounty hunter.

As she reads the request for aid workers, she smiles. Oh ho! I knew there was need of my skills in this city. Fharlanghn be praised!

She takes note of Sergeant Erkennis's name and address, then turns to consider the young brown-haired man beside her. She sees the staff he carries and, taking it as another sign from Fharlanghn, asks...

"Excuse me, sir, would you perchance be considering the collection task for Saint Cuthbert's faithful?"

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
Davis jolts a little out of his reverie, surprised at being suddenly addressed, by an unknown woman no less.

"Well yes, yes I was." He starts hesitantly before remembering the posting did ask for 'people' plural, then shrugs and carries on, gesturing to the posting. "It's obviously not too specific as to WHAT it involves, but maybe a little travel, depending on where the items are being collected from. They're worried about thieves I suppose, stealing whatever is to be collected. I'm no thief, but I'm not certain how one goes about proving a negative like that. Obviously a person of low moral character would be exactly the sort of person who would feel comfortable LYING about being a person of 'sound morality and ethics'. Still I thought I might go down to the guild office tomorrow and inquire."

He trails off and awkwardly looks around the room, not sure how to continue the conversation, or if he was rambling, then suddenly remembers his manners, extending a hand in greeting.

"Oh, I'm Davis, by the way. Davis Gray."

airwalkrr

Adventurer
"Good fortune eh?" the barkeep says as he plants a frothy mug in front of Helmut. He crosses his arms as he surveys the warrior, "have you ever considered getting your fortune read by one of the bargefolk? It's said they have mystical powers of augury they are willing to share, for a price. If you're just lookin' for general good luck in life then you might want to toss a common in the Fountain of Rudd. Ah, but then there are those who make their own good fortune, aye? If I were such a man, I'd be speaking to that fella over there."

The bartender nods towards a man sitting at a table all alone. He has the look of a riverman about him and sits alone gobbling up a bowl of sausages and potatoes and washing it down with ale. "He's been comin' in here every night for the last week, a look of worry on his face. But he has no end of coin. If I were a betting man, I'd say he has a problem and he's lookin' to pay someone, or a group of someones to fix it.

"And I'd also say the attractive lass stepping up yonder is trouble, but probably worth every bit of it,"
he adds, noting the approach of a dark-haired woman (Mialee) to the open space at the bar next to Helmut.

Mialee spies a group of dockworkers playing Three Dragon Ante at one table. She also spies a group of day laborers huddled around a barrel casting dice. Mialee next notes the barmaids appear rather busy, but there is an open spot at the bar next to a hulking figure of a man who has the look of a warrior about him (Helmut). The two appear to be considering a man sitting at a table eating and drinking alone. The bald bartender gives her a wink as she approaches, "Fair even' lass. A pint for you? On the house," he says, serving up a free mug of ale. "Perhaps in exchange later you'll favor the bar with a song about the Seven Mounts of Celestia, from which an angel like yourself no doubt fell."

As Arion cases the room, he spies several potential marks. He rules out a bargeman with a fat purse simply because there are too many of his fellow folk around and he is sitting against a wall. He spies a gambler who has absent-mindedly placed some commons and a few nobles behind his elbow as he plays. But the approach would not be clean as the men are playing at a corner table. Finally, he takes note of a man talking merrily near the bar who sports a waxed mustache, tailored clothes, and a fine leather belt, all signs of a successful merchant. Arion approaches and tries to nab the man's purse, but the grab fails as the merchant apparently takes notice with an abrupt, "Excuse yourself, you fool." The rogue plays it off as an unintentional bump, a story which the merchant seems to buy. "Well, off with you then," he says after being told it was a mere accident. He nevertheless keeps a close eye on his purse the rest of the night; a second attempt upon the same mark would be dangerous.

OOC: Though he might have failed to pick a pocket, Arion gains Inspiration! Please note this on your mini stat block until used.

Remove ads