D&D 5E [D&D 5e] Greyhawk, City of Thieves

Schmoe

Adventurer
Helmut looks over the bartender as he speaks. He wonders if the man has ever seen the sharp end of a sword, or looked at someone with murder in their eyes. “Thanks,” he grunts, and reaches for the tankard. “It seems you know quite a bit about fortune. Here's hoping we only see the good side of her. To fortune," he says, tilting his drink toward the bartender. Helmut raises the tankard and drains it in two long swallows. “I think I’ll take myself around and see what this place has to offer. But first, two more ales. One for me, and one for the lady.” Helmut nods at Mialee as she approaches the bar.

OOC: Helmut Krauthammer - Passive Perception = 11 - Initiative Modifier = +1

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
OOC: Actually [MENTION=913]Schmoe[/MENTION] the bartender is not missing a finger. I believe you are under the mistaken impression that the bartender is the proprietor, but in this case, it is not. His name is actually Gulthen, and most folks seem to call him Gully. So you might wish to edit your last post.

Creamsteak

Explorer
"Aye, I can sing. I ain't much for words though. It's been a long road through heaven, hell, and every tavern in between. Let me wet my parched throat a bit first."

After quickly downing her first pint, she turns to the man next to her who offers another, Mialee smirks and flips one of the coins she pulled out of her purse.

"To fortune! Heads or tails?"

[sblock=coinflip][roll0][/sblock]

OOC: Mialee
Init +3, Perception 12

Skarsgard

Explorer
Listening in on the conversation between the half-elven woman Samara and the human Davis, Arion smirks to himself wondering how easily he could pass himself off as trustworthy certainly as Zenith he could but his current appearance would make even the slowest of city officials profile him. Ha!

"Well met travellers," he states with a practised smile fixed to his face [roll0]

"Whilst worthy work and of no doubt great importance and relief to the general public, one cannot help but wonder what foul deeds this murderous creature Grob has committed and how many other good folk are likely to suffer." he frowns slightly. "Ans such a handsome reward as well, which when tithed appropriately could help many people. But I suppose this requires citizens of stout heart; citizens above the standard cut. Citizens who care about their fellow man, care enough to risk themselves to save those that cannot help themselves. Poor farmers, their familes and oh, the little ones." his voice catches slightly.

"My friends, you have the look about you of adventurers, like the heroes of old. Would you consider taking on this most worthy of tasks? Would you consider aiding the common folk who cannot defend themselves against such a monstrosity? I intend to form a party to tackle this brute. What say you? Will you join in this noble quest?"

I cannot believe I said that with a straight face, Arion thinks to himself.

[sblock=statblock]

Init +3
PP = 15
Inspiration 1

[/sblock]

hafrogman

Adventurer
Davis bristles a little at the newcomer's tone.

"It has very little to do with the stoutness of my heart or my compassion for my fellow man. It is far more of a matter of common sense. An adventurer I may be, but a warrior I am not, and while you may have a blade at your side, I am not sure you're quite the type to go toe to toe with an ogre, orog, bugbear or whatever this Grob turns out to be. Getting ourselves killed in the name of the greater good serves no-one. If you want to undertake this task, I am willing to join you, but we must approach it in a sensible manner. Before bearding the beast in the den, we would want hardened steel on our side." He glances around the room, and spies Helmut at the bar, pointing him out. "Like that man, a solid type by the looks of him. You convince him to join our merry troupe, and I will bring what aid my magics can to swing the tide in our favor."

OOC: Davis Grey - Passive Perception 9 - Initiative +2

Last edited:

Schmoe

Adventurer
Mialee tosses the coin in the air, but Helmut’s calloused hand reaches out and grabs it before it can fall.

”And what is the wager?”

His pale blue eyes gaze steadily at her. Eyes accustomed to staring down men under his command. He places the coin back in her hand. ”I don’t place bets without knowing the stakes. I’ve seen too many go sour.”

After a moment he seems to relax a bit and hands Mialee the tankard in front of her. A wry grin creases his cheeks as he continues, ”But I’ll always toss a drink to good fortune.” He takes a swallow and thinks a moment. ”No one comes here who’s not looking for adventure of some sort. What kind of adventure are you looking for?”

OOC: Helmut Krauthammer - Passive Perception = 11 - Initiative Modifier = +1

Skarsgard

Explorer
Arion smiles a hopefully reassuring smile, "Good sir, I think you mistake me. I was suggesting that with a trio we may be able to recruit more to our side. I surely had no intention of wandering off with just the three of us. More stout hearts are required."

Looking appraisingly at the man indicated by Davis [roll0]

"Do you know him? He looks rather handy. Lets go find out."

Smiling brightly, full of optimism as the human had signed on so quickly, Arion walks over to the man indicated by Davis. He was talking to a female companion but Arion decided that more was indeed merrier.

"Excuse me for interrupting this game of chance," he nods in Mialee's direction. "Are either of you perchance of an adventurous persuasion; the reason I ask is that my friends over there" waves presumptuously towards Samara and Davis, "are looking at recruiting a couple more people to apprehend the villian Grob. Now before you say 'no', there is a reward of 500 gold for his demise. Now I am sure that purely monetary gain is not the be-all and end-all and that the many innocents saved by his demise would be a more primary concern for people of such heroic demeanour such as yourselves. Be that as it may, we will still split all evenly"

He leans in slightly, lowering his voice. "A hundred gold peices each, are you interested?" He looks around the room as if examining the people.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Samara Renae - PP 14 - Init +4

Samara's eyes narrow as Arion pastes a false smile upon his honeyed words (Passive Perception 14). Just as I thought, another shyster. Typical Elven buffoonery.

"Your concern is noted, stranger, but I feel you lact conviction in your words, and therefore, your heart. Bother someone else with your lust for blood and coin." Samara paused for effect, then added, "And keep your hands where I can see them."

Turning to Davis, she frowns and says, "It seems your heart is uncommitted as well. Go where you must. I will be answering Pelor's call on the morrow."

Samara spins on her heels and prepares to stomp off, but she catches herself mid-stride. If this man is going to seek out this beast, perhaps there is more to the situation than I am yet aware.

Samara turns back to Davis and extends her hand, completely unaware that she did not take Davis's hand earlier. "Samara Renae. I did not take you for a murderer, but I shall help you with your task if you in turn help me with mine."

"Know this; I will not slay the beast, but I shall watch your back and protect you where I can."

Spartain104

First Post
Kail Ryon Init: +3 Pas. Perc: 15

Kail turns the final corner and gets a slight feeling of relief. The Green Dragon finally came into view. Thankfully the thieves attempting to rob him had not been able to keep up. He pads over, trying to avoid the more dastardly puddles, and keep himself modestly clean. Its once outside of the establishment that he checks his offering bowl. With a resigned sigh he stows it back into the folds of his tunic.

So much for alms in Greyhawk...

Despite the lack of piety in the free city, Kail entered the inn. He reached into the fabric of his belt and ripped a copper from the inside, sewn tightly into the weave. The monk slids over to the bar himself, he avoids the more stout and nasty of the patrons and attempts to find a space. But there is none, as a rather charming bard and large warrior stood before the last opening. Yet he can still stop a mistress of the bar and offers the coin, simply stating
Bread in simple gestures.

Luckily she only gives him a strange look before returning with a small loaf. Its not fresh, but biting down Kail finds it soft enough to eat, and hardy enough to satisfy him for the while.

It wasn't long before he finds himself in front of the bounty board. He glances thoroughly through ALL of the offers and finds nothing. Not even a scrap or mention of the temple. Nothing. Some of the other jobs seem worthwhile, but for a monk who needs no money its mostly worthless to him. Shifting his pack, now slightly dripping with drizzle, he studies the others around him. And despite not trying to, he manages to overhear the others. For now, he will remain quiet and finish his bread. Perhaps he might join the others. Dealing with any of these jobs would need help, and as a Disciple of the light it was his duty to help.

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Gulthren nods and smiles to Helmut as he serves up two more ales. "Hope ye find what yer lookin' for then. To fortune!"

The bartender holds a decorated stein up and toasts with Helmut and Mialee.

A man at the bar to Helmut's opposite side appears to have overheard something. He turns to face, Helmut, Arion, and Mialee. He is dressed in simple traveler's clothes and wearing boiled leather armor. He has a sword hanging from his belt. His face is a mixture of stubble and scars, his features dark and worn. "Did I hear ye be goin' after the murderous Grob? I come by way o' Steamin' Springs and heard tell of that giant. Monster of a man. Tall as a tree. Strong as an ox. Grob the Mighty they call him, but he has other names too. Grob the Hungry is another. Heard a tale that he bit a man's 'ead clean off in a murderous rage. Quite a terrible foe if tales be true. Still, fer a bounty o' a hunderd orbs, I'd be willin' to cast me lot in if ye'll have me. I'm good with a sword, and happen to own me own crossbow as well. The name's Craye, Curly Craye say some."

OOC: You have just met Curly Craye, your first NPC adventurer contact. Such encounters with NPC adventurers are rare, but you are in one of the few places (the Green Dragon Inn) where such encounters are more likely to happen. How you deal with him is entirely up to you. You might invite him to come along as a full-fledged member of the team, hire him as a henchman (which will require a Charisma (Persuasion) check and an offer of daily wage), simply plug him (or bribe him) for information, or choose not to deal with him at all. Note that his starting attitude appears to be Indifferent, as indicated by the gold text. This is the typical starting attitude for NPCs (the bartender and barmaid appear to have Friendly attitudes, but they are an exception). Curly Craye now has his own entry on the Obsidion Portal site.

"Would you like a mug of ale to wash it down, love? Only 3 commons for a mug when you buy the bread with it," the barmaid calling herself Imogen asks Kail before she goes to fetch the bread. After receiving his answer she delivers the order, winking as she does. "Ask for Im if ye need anything else, okay?"

Remove ads