D&D General How Do You Feel About Randomness?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The dice won't TPK them. Their refusal to change approach or even straight up flee in the face of a run of bad luck is what will kill them.
Often true, though occasionally a run of bad luck will happen in a situation where fleeing really isn't an option; or one roll will turn things so badly that they're hosed no matter what they do.

The latter led to the only TPK I've ever DMed: the "one bad roll" was the party's main Fighter failing a save vs Domination on coming down a ladder into a confined space, and as the rest of the party came down one by one to join him he methodically mowed them down; after which the BBEG (an undead) kept him as a dominated slave until he starved to death.

And as the adventure was set in its own tiny demiplane, there wasn't really anywhere to flee to even had they been able.

Reynard

Legend
Often true, though occasionally a run of bad luck will happen in a situation where fleeing really isn't an option; or one roll will turn things so badly that they're hosed no matter what they do.

The latter led to the only TPK I've ever DMed: the "one bad roll" was the party's main Fighter failing a save vs Domination on coming down a ladder into a confined space, and as the rest of the party came down one by one to join him he methodically mowed them down; after which the BBEG (an undead) kept him as a dominated slave until he starved to death.

And as the adventure was set in its own tiny demiplane, there wasn't really anywhere to flee to even had they been able.
I'm going to need details.

How did he following party members miss that the fighter was killing the member who went before?

Remove ads