D&D General How Do You Feel About Randomness?

Reynard

Legend
Another thread displayed an interesting variation in how folks liked (or didn't) random encounters, and I thought we might talk about random elements in general as it relates to D&D. Obviously, differnt editions and variants of D&D embrace randomness in different ways and to different degrees, so it seems most appropriate to consider the subject in "D&D general" rather than "5E" but feel free to focus on any given edition if you prefer.

There are lots of potential random elements in D&D: ability scores, hit points, secondary skills. Some versions make backgrounds random and there are even variants that make class or race random to some degree or another (like when being tied to random ability scores). Beyond character creation, there are random encounters, random rolls to determine reactions, morale, random dungeon generation and more. There are tons of resources out there for random tables to fill your dungeons, cities and castles with interesting and unexpected details. And, of course, the most powerful randomizer is that d20 you roll (almost) every time you want to accomplish something. Success or failure is rarely a foregone conclusion.

It is interesting when some people accept some random elements but not others (rolling ability scores is okay, but not hit points, for example). Some GMs rely heavily on random generators, while others eschew them entirely.

So, how do you feel about the various kinds of randomness in D&D? What do you use, and what do you reject? Do you think differently about it based on which version of the game you are playing, or what kind of campaign you are playing within a specific edition? If you are a GM, do you use random encounters, random hex or dungeon generation, or things like reactions and morale?

Horwath

Legend
d20 is more than enough randomness in D&D and it really does not need any more than that.

we exclusively play with point buy and fixed hit points.

there is also very low need for random encounters, if encounter is not Deadly+ there is really no point in planning it, unless you want for players to bench test their new levels of power on bunch of no name redshirts.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I do not care for randomness during chargen in D&D/PF. Since the game is often a focus on team based tactics with different degrees, I dont like imbalances in the party. It's more difficult to GM for in my opinion.

That said, I prefer the randomness only in application of skills and combat. Essentially, playing the game stage. Random GM tables are fine if there is some thought put into them. For example, if you are in a desert you shouldnt randomly encounter a shark.

I do like the threat ranges and damage multipliers of 3E/PF1. I miss them a lot.

One system I like random chargen is Traveller. The flatter progression and less focus on tactical combat makes it much easier to run the game and balance for parties. YMMV.

Odysseus

Explorer
As a DM , a few years back when I asked for feedback, I noticed the players liked random stuff over some of the planned stuff I was doing. And since then I have embraced random , and not regretted it.
Random encounters,not whether there is an encounter, but what the encounter is, I will make random.
Natural 1, I use a random event table. Natural 20's I have a critical hit card deck.
Adventure/dungeon creation I have used random tables from the lazy dm, to build adventures.
Hit points and ability scores, I prefer fixed, depends on edition though. Mainly because PC power imbalance, how it effects my Dming and how it effects players.

As a players, I seem to prefer less random, than I do as a DM, but I'm ok with it.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I don't like randomness during chargen. It's fun until the exact moment Session 0 finishes. Right now we generate with the standard fixed array and max HP at first level. Subsequently, the players are free to roll or take the average.

For enemy HP, I either take the stated average, or pump it up to max, depending on the other encounter elements (for example, I want that creature to stick around as the backdrop to other encounter elements).

Personally, I love random encounters. They're the perfect delivery mechanism for clues, setting, lore, and NPC's. Sessions can deviate completely into unknown territory as a random encounter snags the group's attention. Also, they keep me on my toes, akin to improv exercises.

Design-wise, I don't build dungeons that lend themselves to randomness (they're relatively short and heavily themed). If I was to run a hexcrawl, I'd decide on a theme for each hex and lean on random tables to do some of the work.

Stormonu

Legend
I used to adore randomness, as stated above it got me out of my comfort zone to stretch my imagination.

After 3E, I am much less enamored with random elements, even the randomness in rolling to hit or skill checks. RNG tables are less and less of interest to me, as they're just someone else's stream of consciousness plugged into a table.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
What I think D&D should be is a site-exploration, loot-based roguelike with tons of randomization in encounters and character growth opportunities, but with a deep system to create mechanically differentiated, bespoke characters with no starting randomness.

I'm OK with more random character creation in a game with interesting randomized character concepts, along the lines of games like Beyond the Wall, Electric Bastionland, or Troika!. I'm not a fan of "I rolled an 8 Str, and my best stat is 14 Int, so I guess I'll play a wizard."

Ornat1994

Villager
Another thread displayed an interesting variation in how folks liked (or didn't) random encounters, and I thought we might talk about random elements in general as it relates to D&D. Obviously, differnt editions and variants of D&D embrace randomness in different ways and to different degrees, so it seems most appropriate to consider the subject in "D&D general" rather than "5E" but feel free to focus on any given edition if you prefer.

There are lots of potential random elements in D&D: ability scores, hit points, secondary skills. Some versions make backgrounds random and there are even variants that make class or race random to some degree or another (like when being tied to random ability scores). Beyond character creation, there are random encounters, random rolls to determine reactions, morale, random dungeon generation and more. There are tons of resources out there for random tables to fill your dungeons, cities and castles with interesting and unexpected details. And, of course, the most powerful randomizer is that d20 you roll (almost) every time you want to accomplish something. Success or failure is rarely a foregone conclusion.

It is interesting when some people accept some random elements but not others (rolling ability scores is okay, but not hit points, for example). Some GMs rely heavily on random generators, while others eschew them entirely.

So, how do you feel about the various kinds of randomness in D&D? What do you use, and what do you reject? Do you think differently about it based on which version of the game you are playing, or what kind of campaign you are playing within a specific edition? If you are a GM, do you use random encounters, random hex or dungeon generation, or things like reactions and morale?
Adds excitement and keeps things fresh. I'm all for rolling ability scores and random encounters. Makes the game unpredictable. But I get why some prefer more control. As a DM, I mix random elements with planned storylines to keep it fun for everyone.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

I am fond of randomness, and prefer to use it any situation where free will or in-universe logic don't otherwise hold sway. As a GM, I roll from a curated list for all sorts of things. As a player, we always roll ability scores and hit points.

Remove ads