D&D 5E [D&D 5e] Greyhawk, City of Thieves

Schmoe

Adventurer
What the hell? Are these people all mad?

Helmut thrusts his tankard down on the bar and looks at the foppish elf.

Look at him, intent on throwing his life at some giant brute just for the promise of coin. And the girl, she’s either a simpleton or dangerously disturbed. It’s hard to say which, but neither one is promising. Then there’s that quiet lady hanging around, like a schoolmistress, and this bookish fellow... Thrice damned Flanaess! They all seem like they think going to assault a giant in its lair is a good idea.

”You can’t be serious, you’ll all be slaughtered!” Helmut blurts out, incredulously. He scowls, ”Look, I don’t want anyone’s blood on my hands, there’s enough of that already. If you want to throw your life away, I’ll thank you not to do it around me. I mean, all this motley crew needs now is a robed mystic and you could open a traveling carnival!”

As he finishes saying this, his eyes fall on a robed mystic looking at the job board (Kail). With a deep, heavy sigh, Helmut brings his hand to his face. He looks again at Arion, then at Davis, and then again at Mialee, the one who offered to share her fortune with his.

They are on a fool’s errand. I’d be surprised if even one of them has seen a man bleeding out on the ground before them. And I’ve seen so many... Still, my fate seems to be written for me, I’d be just as much a fool to ignore it. That Davis fellow seems like a learned man. Maybe he could teach me some of what he knows and I can put this life behind me. Maybe between myself and that other warrior we can make this work. Maybe fortune will smile on us, after all.

”Fine.” Helmut’s scowl deepens. ”I’m Helmut Krauthammer, and I’ve been a sergeant in the Greyhawk army the past 10 years. And I’ll start by saying that if you want any chance to succeed, you’ll need more swords.

Helmut turns to Curly. ”What say you? Will you join us as a full partner to reap the bounty on Grob the Hungry?”

"Oh, and one more thing," Helmut addresses the group, "he's coming." Helmut points at Kail.

OOC: Helmut Krauthammer - Passive Perception = 11 - Initiative Modifier = +1

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Samara Renae - PP 14 - PI 16 - Init +4

Samara quietly assesses each person as they introduce themselves.

Courage and nobility indeed, Samara rolls her eyes at Arion. And seeker of rare antiquities? A thief is a thief, and one who speaks in half-truths is a despicable one.

Samara is first taken aback, then smiles as Mialee announces herself as a worshiper of Fharlanghn. First a thief, now a gambler... it seems Fharlanghn has a wry sense of humour. Point taken.

She looks past Davis to Helmut and immediately breathes a sigh of relief. Thank the Stars! A competent leader and no stranger to swordplay. He certainly LOOKS batlle-worn and haggard...

She then glances at Curly and Kail and quickly assumes that Helmut must have vetted them previously.

Finally, after an awkward pause, she says, "I am Samara Renae, Acolyte of Fharlanghn. My Journey has just begun, but I am certain that with the Traveller's help, I shall keep us alive and protected as best I can. I have no thirst for blood; I would far prefer a diplomatic approach and have studied many languages to that end. Regardless, I shall defend myself when necessary."

"Thank you for volunteering to lead us, Helmut," she adds, "I defer to your wisdom should combat become our only option."

Spartain104

First Post
Kail stood stock still. The conversation behind his back near the bar had turned towards the topic of the giant. He shook his head, realizing the foolhardy lot they would be. Until he heard Helmut. Kail spun around, his staff coming to rest softly on the wooden floor and stick straight up, parallel to his body. His face softened as he noticed Helmut, the sergeant whom he had aided on the road not long ago, but darkened again when he pointed directly at Kail and the rest of his gathered crowd turned to look.

Kail sighed, not a sad but more resigned sigh and walked over gently through the throng of boisterous tavern-customers. Once he standing beside the others he waited for the fair elf beside him to finish speaking. He bowed his head in slightly, right hand coming to rest on his chest. He then made a fist and placed it over his heart and stared directly at Helmut.

With a quick flurry he signed two words. Words he had taught Helmut as they had journeyed together, and were altogether simple to understand.

The fist on heart. Ready
Tapping his staff firmly on the ground Defend

Kail did notice the others. Yet he was sure he felt the same as Helmut. Pointing out Kail and the mercenary Curly was a smart move. The others gathered around seemed as though they would make up the whole of a traveling show.

It was all Kail could do to not smile.

Skarsgard

Explorer
"Ah, Seven," Arion laughs. "Truly this expedition is blessed by the gods!"

He looks up at Helmut, "My large friend, it looks like your previous military experience make you our defacto leader. Is there anything we need to do prior to setting to see the authorities?"

Now that there was safety in numbers Arion felt very happy to step back into the shadows. He had set things in motion, but shadows were so boring and he did need some drinking money.

With a hopeful smile he asks, "Have any of you heard of 'The Shell Game'?"

[sblock=OOC] PP=15, Init +3, Insp +1

Rolling for Arion to pick up on how Samara feels about him. [MENTION=36150]Herobizkit[/MENTION] I am not sure if Samara is hiding her feelings so I will roll anyway and let things come out in the wash.
[roll0]

[/sblock]

Schmoe

Adventurer
Helmut nods sincerely at Kail's introduction.

"Look," he says to Arion, "I never agreed to be the leader of this crew, and if you die, it's on you. But if you want my advice, we'll want to learn as much as we can about this Grob before setting out. Battles are won or lost before the first blade is ever drawn. It wouldn't hurt to see if there are any rumors around here about him, and again when we get to Steaming Springs. If any of you don't have a way of attacking from range, you'll want one."

By now, it's clear that Helmut is starting to enjoy this, and he continues on with more tactical advice. "A single blow from a giant can crush a man, so it's best to keep your distance. If you can't attack from range, you'll want another way to make yourself useful without getting close - throwing rocks to distract him, things of that nature. A lot of times these creatures are dim-witted and sensitive. Some clever insults might be enough to enrage the brute and cause him to lose focus, making him easy prey. The more we learn about Grob, the more we might be able to find some weakness to exploit. So I'd say let's spend some time learning what we can, and tomorrow we can head for Steaming Springs."

"As for you,"
Helmut turns to Curly, "I never did hear. Are you in or out?"

OOC: I think we all agreed to take on Curly as a full-fledged party member

hafrogman

Adventurer
Davis isn't quite sure when a 9ft tall creature became a full fledged giant, but decides to not to press the issue. At least the soldier seemed to have a solid grasp on planning. Information first.

"I presume we should make preparations then. Do we intend to leave in the morning, or devote a day to research?"

OOC: Davis Grey - Passive Perception 9 - Initiative +2

Do we know where the Cairn Hills are and Steaming Springs in particular? Anything about the area or the Governor-Mayor Kordek Tuln?

history - [roll0] if relevant.
Also wanderer background feature for geographical knowledge

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Samara Renae - PP 14 - PI 16 - Init +4

Samara nods. "As Helmut says, it would be folly to simply march up to the... Ogre, I imagine, based on the description... plus we don't know how many innocents remain in that area, if any at all. No, I'm sure we will want to have as many advantages as possible before advancing, and that will take time."

OOC: [roll0] to determine the actual type and info about the creature.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Mialee attempts to follow all of the conversation and continues to watch the group. [roll0]

"Giant or ogre, I know not the difference. Some might die. I only walk the path I find most interesting. I will support you with everything I have."

OOC: Mialee - Init +3, PP 11

airwalkrr

Adventurer
OOC: Sorry for the delay. Stomach bug took me out of commission for a couple days.

"So it seems we are assembled!" Curly Craye declares, "I humbly accept yer offer as a full partner, Helmut, and hope that great things come from our future cooperations. I pledge me sword to the cause of slaying the monster, Grob the Mighty, and to me new friends, the party of... wait, what are we going to call ourselves? We can't be an adventuring company without a name, or a contract no less. Should any of us perish in our noble pursuit we would of course want to leave instructions for how our share of the reward is to be dispensed, whether to charity, church, or next o' kin."

OOC: Having been accepted into your party, Curly Craye's attitude appears to have shifted to friendly. He now has a character sheet too. In addition to assisting the party, NPC adventurers are intended to highlight the milieu, adding flavor to the game, and as such will often be representative of "typical" adventurers out for gold and glory (see below). Otherwise their actions will be limited to those requested of them, those necessary (such as combat), or those which require their particular skill set.

Curly Craye moves to an open table and pulls out a long piece of parchment, as well as quill and ink, almost as if he was prepared to do so from the start. "I'll draw up the contract! We'll each put our names to it after the terms are agreed. Now let's see... an equal share o' the spoils to all of course. And should we come across any items of eldritch power or great magic, I propose we agree an equal chance to all who desire to claim such an item as their own, as decided by the casting of lots, unless of course there is a consensus vote taken that any one o' us would benefit from owning the item more than any other enough so as to have sole claim. And obviously I'll leave room for each o' us to declare how our share o' the spoils is to be disposed of in the event of our untimely demise. My share be goin' to me cousin, Hobert Higgins o' Parchly Lane," he says, putting quill to parchment.

Remove ads