D&D 5E [IC] Uller's Out of the Abyss

Uller

Adventurer
A dark blot appears where your blade pierces the web and slowly grows until the thick liquid starts to drip and fall, disappearing into the void below you. The creature offers no resistance and makes no indication of feeling what is happening to it but as it's lifeblood drains away it momentarily shudders, there is a gurgling sound and then it goes still.

When Ezraen does this, the light he thought he sensed obscured behind the cocoon fades. Did he really see it or was it just a figment of his imagination.

The satchel seems empty...but there is a single piece of parchment. Unfortunately it is wet and appears to have been soaked for some time. Most of the marking on it have smudged or are otherwise unreadable. It is written in the language of the Underdark so even what little that is not ruined is unreadable by Surana or Ezraen. There are markings that may have once been a map. One mark near the bottom of the page is clear.

MapSymbol.png

SunGold

First Post
Surana looks at Ez as he walks away, debating whether to say anything to him. Ultimately she seems to decide it's not the time. Instead she stands up a little straighter, steels her expression, and walks to Topsy and Turvy.

"You two have traveled a lot down here," she says, kneeling down next to them. "Does this mean anything to you?" she asks as she holds out the scrap.

DMAesh

Explorer
OOC: I totally misunderstood your description. I thought you were saying that it looked like there was something obscuring OUR light. :p Oh well, now it feels like Ezraen has betrayed a sign from Lathander! >.< Darkness falls over our paladin... ;)

Uller

Adventurer
"This says 'Myconid Town beyond the lake' and this say 'Follow Downward Path.' It connects this and it says 'Earthquake' and 'New Crack' and I think this say 'Tomb of the King of Travelers has fallen...Spaces between worlds!' Spaces between worlds? What the hells?"

She points at the strange symbol at the bottom and says "I have no idea what that is."

SunGold

First Post
OOC: Poor Ez! :(

Full disclosure: I was quite surprised when Ez actually pulled the knife. I put up a bit of resistance for RP's sake, because IMO that's what a pragmatic CN barbarian would've done, buuut I assumed you'd slam your righteousholy foot down. At 1/2 hp and poisoned, Surana's in no position to escalate. She'd have folded easily.

Surana looks confused by Topsy's response, but thanks the little gnome anyway as she stands up.

"It sounds like you should see this," she says as she passes the parchment to Shuushar. "Does this change our path, or can we continue this way?"

DMAesh

Explorer
OOC: No worries. Ezraen is torn right now. He is not wise, but does understand the Needs of the many argument. He also feels like if anyone was going to do it, it should be him, because he feels like this group is his responsibility. Being in the precarious position that we are, hesitation could be the difference between our lives and our deaths. This death will haunt him for some time though...

Uller

Adventurer
OOC:
I totally misunderstood your description. I thought you were saying that it looked like there was something obscuring OUR light. :p Oh well, now it feels like Ezraen has betrayed a sign from Lathander! >.< Darkness falls over our paladin... ;)

Ezraen asked for a sign. I was going for the sign was being obscured by the webs. Oh well...it's still there. It just might be harder to see.

Shuushar: "Myconid Town...that is probably Neverlight Grove. It's far from here, on the other side of the darklake. You don't want to go there. They will steal your mind then grow their babies in your head."

DMAesh

Explorer
OOC: Sorry, I misunderstood. I don't want to retcon, but if it was pretty clear, Ez would have tried to cut clear the webs around the light.

Uller

Adventurer
OOC:
Sorry, I misunderstood. I don't want to retcon, but if it was pretty clear, Ez would have tried to cut clear the webs around the light.

We'll keep going as is. If it had implications beyond RP, I'd consider it. Ez may be feeling isolated from Lathander down here and have some doubt as to whether or not he misinterpreted the sign. Maybe he'll shun the piece of paper as a reminder of his failure. Maybe he'll obsess over it as a path toward redemption...or some other take I haven't thought of.

A simple random encounter meant to add some flavor turned into an interesting bit of RP. It's all good I think.

Edit: Hehe...rereading this post, what Eldeth says is a bit symbolic, isn't it? I didn't mean it that way when I wrote it. I went ahead and rolled the next leg of your trip through the webs. That doesn't mean you have to move from here if you want to linger a bit. Presumably I'll eventually have to roll it....

BTW, Eldeth's contribution to the navigation is that you can't go in the wrong direction and lose ground even when you get lost in the webs. She'd notice you were going the wrong way.

Eldeth (looking away from the gruesome display...perhaps she regrets her suggestion): "We should get away from here. I think we have descended a bit."

Last edited:

Remove ads