Is there a 3E Warlock-type build, but for a divine caster?

Tuzenbach

First Post
Well, if you're good with fan material, there's this Warlock rewrite that includes all sorts of different heritages including divine. The Eldritch Blast still does damage, but there are holy powers and invocations available. If you don'y like the damaging Eldritch Blast then come up with your own replacement and keep the rest.

There's also the cleric from Monte Cook's Book of Experimental Might. Spell casting classes get disciplines which are basically at-will powers that represent things that the class does all day every day. In the cleric's case, this includes healing, turning undead, blessing and other things like that. Not exactly a warlock but functionally similar in a "holy stuff at-will" kind of way.

Finally you could steal stuff from the Dragon Shaman in Player's Handbook II with it's auras - I always thought those types of powers would be good for a regular divine character.

If none of those are exactly what you want, they probably give you all the pieces you need to build an at-will power holy class of your own.

I like this answer!!! This is the best answer yet!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!! :)

It's absolutely possible. But in truth, I possess far too much ignorance to answer your question with any degree of certainty.

You're the one who has to define what you're looking for. The rest of us can't help you with that.

I like this answer!!! This is the best answer yet!!!!!!

Well, since the rest of us are still trying to figure out what you're asking for, I guess that would have to be the best one.

Satyrn

First Post
He's looking for a class that is related to the cleric the way a warlock is related to wizard: A divine magic user based on invocations instead of spells. It seemed clear to me from his original post.

I am unaware of any such class myself, though.

Dandu

First Post
He's looking for a class that is related to the cleric the way a warlock is related to wizard: A divine magic user based on invocations instead of spells. It seemed clear to me from his original post.
It's absolutely possible. But in truth, I possess far too much ignorance to say so with any degree of certainty.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Favored Soul, from the d20 _Miniatures Handbook_. Basically a Divine Sorcerer... with wings, eventually.

Not quite the same, but there's a d20 Favored Soul variant in _Complete Divine_ as well.

There's also a cleric/warlock prestige class, the Eldritch Disciple (in _Complete Mage_), which is fantastic - burn a turning attempt to turn your EB into a healin' lazor.

Tuzenbach

First Post
Favored Soul, from the d20 _Miniatures Handbook_. Basically a Divine Sorcerer... with wings, eventually.

Not quite the same, but there's a d20 Favored Soul variant in _Complete Divine_ as well.

There's also a cleric/warlock prestige class, the Eldritch Disciple (in _Complete Mage_), which is fantastic - burn a turning attempt to turn your EB into a healin' lazor.

That sounds promising!!!

Regarding Eldritch Blast ....... What this does is essentially subtract hit points from opponents, correct? I want a cleric-type thing that can use this "at-will" power not to subtract hit points from opponents but to add hit points to allies, albeit temporarily.

Last time I checked, the EB did 1D6 points of damage per level. Dunno if this has a cap, but a 20th level Warlock seemingly has the best weapon in the game. Over-powered? Unsure. But what if the EB was something that granted temporary hit points to allies, ala the "Aid" spell? But with the same 1D6 per level as Eldritch Blast? Would that, too, be over-powered? IIRC, the "Aid" spell is capped @ 10 temporary hit points maximum.

Thanks, everybody, for your very helpful feedback!!! :)

cimbrog

Explorer
If you are worried about scaling temporary HP getting too high, you could make the "Healing Ray" or whatever do outright healing and use Monte Cook's magical healing rules from the BoExM - a character can only receive healing a number of times per day equal to their level + Con bonus. Basically it was him forecasting 4e's healing surges.

I'd really encourage you to check the Book of Experimental Might out if you can. It's full of neat stuff like that.

Tuzenbach

First Post
If you are worried about scaling temporary HP getting too high, you could make the "Healing Ray" or whatever do outright healing and use Monte Cook's magical healing rules from the BoExM - a character can only receive healing a number of times per day equal to their level + Con bonus. Basically it was him forecasting 4e's healing surges.

I'd really encourage you to check the Book of Experimental Might out if you can. It's full of neat stuff like that.

Awesome! I'll have to check that out, Thanks!

Yeah, I was definitely worried about "at-will healing", as the long-term implications of it (if not mis-managed!) are an indestructible party. That's why temporary hit points (ala the "Aid" spell) seemed to be the answer to potential game breakage.

Remove ads