Dark Days in Sion - Act 2: Scene 3

narayan

Explorer
Svexyn

Svexyn:
~At last... it seems that I have found a glimmer of hope here... For the price I'm paying, this better pan out well... Let's see just how loose they are with information...~

"Quresh?"he whispers, feigning ignorance in hopes that they would provide more information.

Nodding at their advice, Svexyn decides to entice them with a little prodding. He keeps his voice low, hoping that others don't overhear his comments.

"I am not familiar with the Quresh, so anything you can alert me on what to look out for would be greatly appreciated. As for avoiding Drasus, I apparently owe him a drink and considering your warning, I think it would be unwise to ignore that. Have any advice to make sure I make it back down the stairs without ending up like his most recent unwelcome guest?" [Bluff: 1d20+4=15]

Maharathan Merchant 1: (Sense Motive, DC 15: = 6, Fail) Chuckles. "Surely you are not blind? You should have noticed something very different about the owners of this inn already."

Maharathan Merchant 2: (Sense Motive, DC 15: = 5, Fail) Adds. "Something Gedeon and the table maid, Tylia, have in common yes?"

Akhenaten Merchant: (Sense Motive, DC 15: = 6, Fail) Waves his hand. "Don't patronize the young man. He's noticed their golden eyes to be sure." Leans forward. "It offends them to hear strangers discussing their culture or their past. Ask them if you're so curious, but take care not to insult them whatever you do."

"That would mean there are quite a lot of their number. I don't see how they could all stay here in the inn, unless they have someplace nearby as well? I heard rumors of all manners of hidden places in desserts, but I only see an Inn and the Barn out back. I even heard tales that can't be true, but then again, I am unfamiliar with this place."

Akhenaten Merchant: "It is Likely they do have a camp close by, but I don't recommend searching for it. Keep to your own business Svexyn."

He shifts in his seat, glancing around casually to note if anyone is paying particular interest to him at the table.

Gedgeon has his eyes on your table from across the room but doesn't focus on you directly. He's better skilled as a watcher than that.

"Speaking of which, I asking for some gear. I am waiting on Gedeon to get someone by the name of Tamas. Tents, a mule with saddle bags and bit&briddle would go well along with some camping gear. Oh, and a shovel of course. But if either of you have some of those items for a better price than Tamas, then I would rather hand over coin to you. And some whistles."

Maharathan Merchant 1: Laughs. "You haven't been listening if you think we'd barter with you against the Quresh."

Maharathan Merchant 2: "It'd be different if you asked us first, but refusing to buy from them because they may not be the cheapest, after the fact, would insult them."

Akhenaten Merchant:
"They speak the truth. Even if their prices are unreasonable buy something you can afford and apologize if you can't afford everything you asked for. It'd also be wise to find something about their wares worthy of praise and compliment those things. It takes years of experience to master bartering with the Quresh in a particular way so that you end up with what you want without giving offense."

At this time the backdoor opens and an older man steps in. Gedeon speaks to him and gestures at you Svexyn. The older man must be Tamas, whom you recognzie from afar as the stablemaster you observed earlier.

[Svexyn: What do you do?]

Last edited:

narayan

Explorer
Burrai

Uthal dips a heel of flatbread into his stew and chews on it noisily for a few moments giving you a measuring stare.

Uthal: "Jarahdrin and Jabbar eh? Odd to think of them both at the same time except as opposites. One a smuggler, the other a member of the elite merchant establishment. As far as I know they've never done business together or spoke together publicly..." He pauses to drink a deep drought of ale and immediately belches, wiping foam off his beard absently with the back of his gauntlet.

"Err... step outside with me for a minute Burrai I need some fresh air." He says. Once your both out front, voices muted by the throngs of the marketplace going about their business does he speak up again.

"Sorry I didn't want to say more in front of the new recruits. The Devils are less of a family now than they were under Omar. Kadar doesn't inspire the same sort of loyalty his father did. Lots of guys come and go, its hard to say who's really loyal these days..." He says pausing to scratch at his beard.

"Jabbar isn't such a bad sort. Did you know he was a good friend of Omar some years back?" When you shake your head he continues. "It's true. Jabbar was one of his sponsors during his years in the arena. Some say he even had something to do with his freedom, though Omar himself never confirmed it. I do know Jabbar arranged a place for him to stay and some of the means to buy this place..." He gestures to the great hall behind you. "However, I was never privy to their private dealings, I kept my nose out of it."

"Omar didn't act friendly with Jabbar in public either. Seemed to me he was told to save face so it wouldn't hurt his dealings with the rest of the town. Even so, it was obvious to me that some of our missions were part of Jabbars smuggling operation. It was never Jabbars name on the ledgers or the contracts, yet some of the folks who hired us were obviously paid stooges for Omars old associate who needed certain things done."

"Of course Burrai, I expect you already knew how mercenary companies could cover for criminal organizations? We do things common thugs and bandits could never get away with. I assumed that's why you refused to work with em? Omar took that kind of personal by the way. He was fond of you but he sometimes cursed your name whenever he wished you were fighting by his side or vice-versa."

"Jabbar hasn't been so active of late as he used to be. Rumor has it he was almost killed in Masaeus a couple years back with the scars to prove it. Of course most career smugglers don't live long enough to retire, but Jabbar isn't your typical smuggler in any case. His family name, Najafi, is very old and honorable in this region of Akhenaten. Some of his ancestors were important tribal chiefs, traders, even prophets."

"I never cared much for ancient lineages but the locals here love and revere him as one of their leaders. He's a religious minded man as well, though how he reconciles such a dirty business as the smuggling trade with the edicts of Ishvar is a mystery to me. Anyway my point is, if there's one thing Jabbar has in common with Jarahdrin is that they're both connected either culturally or politically."

[Burrai: What do you do?]

Last edited:

narayan

Explorer
Ersun, Izel

He inspects his two guards that he’s met before. They haven’t gotten any more charming. The relief on Izel’s face is somewhat surprising, although he wonders how sincere it is. He finds it hard to calmly trust in anyone at this point, which is just as well probably, based on what he learned today.
“It has been a most interesting day, Izel.” He also wonders at the friendliness of the arm clap, that’s what he did with him when they first met, and he wasn’t sincere with it either. He stretches his shoulders. “I am fine, alive and free of mind control. So how do we proceed exactly?”

Izel: "The rendezvous spot with their emissary is nearby. She's due to appear their soon and take you back with her. Her name is Thiara. Here is something we can use to communicate..." Izel says reaching into his robes to remove a pair of journals with metal bindings. Each one is identical with the same hinged clasps featuring a key-lock. "They are identical in every way including the key..." He says handing you a journal and a key. He demonstrates how easy it is to unlock and open. Inside the binding is an ink pen and a vial of ink. "Anything you write into the journal appears in its copy, so long as both copies remain on the same plane of existence. It's important you never loose your key. These keys are magically tied to these journals. Any attempt to use a fake key or break the clasps forcefully will cause the journal to release its enchantment in a magical burst of energy fatal to anyone in the vicinity."

"Take time everyday to make notes and record anything significant that you see and hear. Describe your impressions of people, places and events as best you can. Everything you describe may have bearing to the council when its time to decide if an alliance should be made with the Kingdom of Vulkh or not. Any questions?"

[Ersun: What do you do?]

Last edited:

narayan

Explorer
Avar, Billanverthorne, Jabbar

Bill listens intently, and also scans the area, using projected Infravision to ensure that no one is watching them.

(Rolls: Listen check = 24, Spot check = 11.)

[ I don't want to be detected by the Vulkyrie, so I will spend a Fate Point to re-roll the 11.]

(New Spot Check = 24.)

[ What noises do I detect? What do I see? ]

Avar: (Listen Check: = 17, Fail)(Spot Check: = 19, Fail)

Jabbar: (Listen Check: = 18, Fail)(Spot Check: = 26, Success)

Your keen elven senses serve you well as you pick up on the faintest hint of voices deep inside the caves and the slightest hint of lantern light as well. The voices are very faint, barely an echo, but it sounds like the common tongue.

Jabbar: -Whispers- "I think I see light in the caves somewhere beyond the tunnel... but I don't hear anything?"

Avar: -Whispers- "Someone has to go in there and check it out. It won't be me volunteering but I will try if I must."

Jabbar: -Nods and Whispers- "I know how Sundered Dwarves feel about going underground. Most of you refrain from doing it willingly, and when forced may even go mad."

Avar: -Nods and Whispers- "It'd be easier if I could at least light a torch and see whats around me, but of course we can't do that without risking someone inside seeing the light."

[Billanverthorne: What do you do?]

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Billanverthorne Scouting Ahead

Bill -whispering-: "I can hear voices, very faint, Common tongue. It's fine, I'll go in, and if I run into any trouble, I'll double time it back, so be ready to flee if you see me coming!" Bill smiles at Jabbar and Avar, that wry, devilish smile that promises a hint of mischief.

Bill will proceed quietly into the tunnel. (Rolls: Move Silent (1d20+3) = 21(*), Hide = 4.)

~Not really a lot of places to hide down here, but as long as they don't hear me coming, I should be ok. I just need to get close enough to hear what they're saying, so I can figure out if they're friend or foe...~

(*) = Had to spend a fate point. 2 points remaining.

Last edited by a moderator:

narayan

Explorer
Avar, Billanverthorne, Jabbar

Someone of your height has to crouch quite a bit to pass through this tunnel. The smell of the earth presses in on you as you slink your way through. The tunnel is about twenty five feet long, and for the last ten feet or so it has been chiseled through solid rock.

A small cave is visible at the other end of the tunnel. The light source you glimpsed appears to come from another tunnel exiting from this cave. The voices are a little clearer as you near the other end of the tunnel. You hear the words ..."cut off a bigger piece"... and ..."Noro wants"... The cave appears to have some goods and supplies piled and stacked near the tunnel. There is also the faint scent of torches and candles suggesting people were in this cave very recently indeed.

Caves%20of%20Cabarda.png~original

However you do not actually enter the cave before a trap is triggered! A pressure step as you reach the end of the tunnel activates a spring-loaded arm just around the corner. Attached to the end of the arm is a short length of chain affixed with a stone block heavy enough to crush a mans chest with ease. The block is whipped around the corner towards you with great strength!

(Mechanical Trap Attack: = 15)(Location: Right Shoulder, Miss)

Were it not for your armor you would certainly have been seriously wounded. Fortunately the pauldron of your breastplate deflects the force of the stone off of your body so it is not bruised or crushed. Instead the stones force ricochets off you and collides with the stone wall of the tunnel itself with a resounding THUD.

The trap was also designed to soundly alert those inside with bells that immediately start clanging and ringing
when triggered .

[Billanverthorne: What do you do?]

Last edited:

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Svexyn, Mogan and Folg

At this time the backdoor opens and an older man steps in. Gedeon speaks to him and gestures at you Svexyn. The older man must be Tamas, whom you recognzie from afar as the stablemaster you observed earlier.

Svexyn:

Svexyn nods appreciatively to the merchants, noting that they seemed to have his best interest at heart. Perhaps he would find them later on and repay them for the assistance. But for now, it would seem that his attention was needed elsewhere, as he sees Gedeon point him out to the guy he noticed from before.

"I am guessing that is Tamas. Time to get an idea on just how many coins I will be losing soon enough. Many thanks for the welcome words. They were a welcome change from the past few weeks only talking with my two associates. I didn't get your names though, in case I would like to visit later on in the camps outside..."

Afterwards, he bows while taking his leave of the merchants and moves to Gedeon and the newcomer.

"I am assuming you are the one that Gedeon mentioned who could help me acquire some gear? Tamas? My name is Svexyn."

He waits patiently, wondering what kinds of prices and wares were going to be available. Hopefully it wasn't going to cost him the rest of his coins, as he notices just how light they were becoming.

narayan

Explorer
Svexyn

Svexyn:

Svexyn nods appreciatively to the merchants, noting that they seemed to have his best interest at heart. Perhaps he would find them later on and repay them for the assistance. But for now, it would seem that his attention was needed elsewhere, as he sees Gedeon point him out to the guy he noticed from before.

"I am guessing that is Tamas. Time to get an idea on just how many coins I will be losing soon enough. Many thanks for the welcome words. They were a welcome change from the past few weeks only talking with my two associates. I didn't get your names though, in case I would like to visit later on in the camps outside..."

Maharathan Merchant 1: "I am Ramachan and this is my brother Arjun." He says gesturing to the other merchant.

Akhenaten Merchant: "I am Khuzay. Good luck with your business."

Afterwards, he bows while taking his leave of the merchants and moves to Gedeon and the newcomer.

"I am assuming you are the one that Gedeon mentioned who could help me acquire some gear? Tamas? My name is Svexyn."

He waits patiently, wondering what kinds of prices and wares were going to be available. Hopefully it wasn't going to cost him the rest of his coins, as he notices just how light they were becoming.

Tamas is an older Quresh, with hands like leather and a generally no-nonsense, yet polite, demeanor. His golden eyes look like they've seen a great deal and will not be easily fooled or intimidated.

Tamas: "Come with me sir." He says plainly and leads the way out the back door. Outside, the nights air is already taking on a distinctive chill. You walk a short distance until you reach the barn. The barn has three sets of exterior doors, all of which are open at this time. The double doors to the right reveal stalls for mounts. You see two younger lads standing at the entrance to those doors who look like they are stable-boys. One is Akhenaten the other is Maharathan. The double doors in the center open into more stalls as well as two store rooms. On the left is where the ladies chambers are.

The%20Restless%20Sands%20Barn.png~original

Tamas leads you to the doors in the center where another stable-boy stands at the ready. Two lanterns illuminate the interior of this section of the barn at either side of the double doors. There are also lanterns hanging beside each of the doors for the storerooms. You note the presence of a well at the far end in a room lit by two more lanterns. A Quresh guard stands at the entrance to the well-room. (Obviously you are not aware of the secret door at this time) Tamas asks you what you need and when you tell him he simply nods and leads you to the stalls before the storerooms.

Tamas: "Mules are a lot less valuable than camels out here for obvious reasons, yet they are still useful enough. I have one I might be willing to sell..." He says gesturing to one of the stalls. (Two of others stalls contain camels and the other two contain horses.) "...take a quick look at it while I collect the rest of your supplies." He says gesturing at the stable boy (another Akhenaten) to come and assist him. Tamas moves over to one of the storerooms, opening the door, pulling a lantern off the peg beside it and moving inside barking orders at the lad to grab what you require.

[I am not entirely sure what the rules are for ascertaining the quality of a beast of burden? I assume it has to do with Appraise, Handle Animal and/or Knowledge: Nature. You have no ranks in any of those skill, so I am going to suggest that you make a Wisdom Check vs. a DC 12 to get a general idea of the condition of the Mule.]

[Svexyn: What do you do?]

Last edited:

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Svexyn, Folg and Mogan

Svexyn:

~This place is bigger than it appeared from outside.. No telling what's in all these rooms, but it seems pretty important to have a guard posted at all times by the well. Or maybe water is just a high commodity in the desert. And the stable hands... makes me wonder...~

Looking at the stable hands, he attempts to see if they share the same lineage as the Quresh, as he tries to see if their eyes are golden as well. If he recalled correctly, it was a cursed mark, one that they were given long ago. Too many tales without proof, but he literally had the truth staring back at him this night. Ju-Long's absence was hopefully one step closer to becoming known...

As he moves to the stall, he tries to think of anything that would help him in determining the health and sturdiness of this beast. Not having had to deal with them before, he thinks of it like a shorter and stockier horse.

~Ok, this might have been a good time to have Mogan around... What the hell would the dwarf scoff at me for not thinking of? C'mon.... think.... shoes... coat... teeth? Dammit.. to hell with it, let's just see how it takes to me and go from there...~

Svexyn wishes he had an apple or something to entice the creature, but instead, has to manage with an inspection on his own..

Fangor:1D20 → 15(15)#Wisdom Check

Hillsy7

First Post
Burrai Steelborn

"I never cared much for ancient lineages but the locals here love and revere him as one of their leaders. He's a religious minded man as well, though how he reconciles such a dirty business as the smuggling trade with the edicts of Ishvar is a mystery to me. Anyway my point is, if there's one thing Jabbar has in common with Jarahdrin is that they're both connected either culturally or politically."

Burrai nodded thoughtfully, scratching his beard as he listened. Perhaps not as much had changed as he feared. Those two were still in town, and neither showed telltale signs of sliding into league with darker forces. Smugglers in their own way were as honest as merchants - they just disagreed with the law as to what could be traded. Though Jabbar's run in with his own mortality was news, Burrai doubted that would drive him into the pocket of the Black Network. Both men were well connected, with reputations to uphold - and both likely to sell him a translation for a price.

....speaking of which. "That's good to hear Uthal. I never realised Jabbar and Omar were that close. Their act fooled me as well it seems." He chuckled and slapped Uthal lightly on the arm. "My thanks for your insight, though it sounds like Kadar is running a very different ship to old Omar. Do you think he'll put up any resistance to my offer of a job? I don't know where he's setting his sights, and he might treat an escort and patrol service as beneath his worth...."

"Sounds like someone I know," Uthal quipped. Burrai shrugged.

"Maybe so, and I'd not blame him for that. But I need to know where I stand. Time is precious to me at the moment - and a heads up if I'm wasting it would be appreciated."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases