Dark Days in Sion - Act 2: Scene 3

narayan

Explorer
Svexyn

Svexyn:

~What's with the golden eyes. It's not going to be easy to find this guy, considering everyone here seems to have the same eyes...~

Svexyn nods to Gedeon, as he sits at a nearby table and awaits Tamas. He motions for Tylia to come take his order, as he asks, "What type of food do you carry? I have two helpers outside that are hungry. Figured they could do with something warm to bring them. If you have something for the road, can you make three of them and have them ready for when I am finished talking with Drasus? And what type of drink would you recommend? What's Drasus's preferred drink?"

Tylia: "Today we have cakes made from ground roasted lentils pressed and fried in oil called 'Ashishim'. We also have flatbreads, baked with garlic and olives. Roasted chickpeas, spiced in the Maharathan fashion, served with potatoes and gravy. Rice served with hot pepers and assorted vegetables. Onion stew with leeks and goat meat flavored with cumin and coriander. Skewered rock pigeon roasted in a sweet glaze served with figs and assorted nuts. And last but not least, quail eggs and crumbled cheese served with biscuits and herb butter."

"Anyone of those meals costs three silver pieces, enough to feed an average appetite. We can serve the food in pottery bowls you can take with you and bring to your friends for two extra copper per meal. As for drink, water is two copper. Grog or rum is five copper, house ale or common wine is one silver, strong ale or fine wine is two silver, Barossan Rum or Akhenaten Tejj is three silver, dwarven ale is four silver, elven wine and our famous 'Aqua-Vitae' is five silver."

-She lowers her voice- "Drasus favors Barossan Rum, but I recommend our
'Aqua-Vitae' , if you think you have enough constitution for it?" She asks with a wry smile.

He then sits and waits, hoping that this night would at least prove fruitful in some information on where to look next. While he sits, he listens to the singing, but also scans the room as well for a note on who is in here, and a rough idea of what to expect should things not go so well.

It is hard to say what would happen if things gut ugly in here. Some of the patrons are obviously capable warriors, most notably the Mgorongorons chatting with the bartender. They've marked their skin with piercings and scars in a proud display of their high pain threshold. One table seats two scoundrels and one scout who could likely fight with great skill as well. Another table seats two men in wizards robes with a young apprentice between them. The final table has three merchants who don't appear particularly dangerous, but they may well have several guards outside by their tents.

[Svexyn: What do you do?]

Last edited:

97mg

Explorer
Wrenwil

Wrenwil rubbed his palms deeply against his forehead. ~Too late. Too bloody late. Such a waste.~

With great care, he closed the Keu's eyes with an outstretched finger. "May you travel to a better place now, a heaven where you can spread your wings freely."

After a quick look to his companions, the old cleric stated his intentions. "This warrior of the sky we shall bury like brethren, and together we shall show our respects. It is only fitting that the humble coin be put to good. I have no need for it, but if any of you do, all I ask is you use it wisely and remember from whence it came. The healing potions are no doubt better for someone without the gift of healing, take them if you will. The writing instruments I have a use for, as I do for the book of spells and flasks and vials. Alic, Malic, Ordechai, is anything here of use to you?"

In all honestly Wrenwil wasn't overly concerned with the mundane and physical trinkets left on these corpses. There was something here worth far far more. Something useful. Something from a friend. As he quickly read the note a frown formed on his face. ~All hell is breaking loose.~

He turned to Kryslogious who was busy searching his victim, "dear knight, when you are done, may I have a word with you alone? Take what you wish. I suggest we ensure the body of that winged-scum is never discovered. As for the skull... I will not prevent you... however be careful, one would not want to be seen nor captured with such a thing."

Keu Equipment_______________________________

- 1 PP
- 2 GP
- 7 SP
- 8 CP
- Ring of Sustenance [Kryslogious wish to claim]
- Potions of Cure Light Wounds (x2)(In Belt Pouch)
- Alchemical Silver Dagger (Small Size, in wrist sheath)
- Cold Iron Dagger (Small Size, in wrist sheath)
- Sack (Tied to belt)[Kryslogious wish to claim]
- Spell Component Pouch [Wrenwil wish to claim]
- Spellbook (In Pouch, Contains Spells for my Summoner Class - See Obsidian Portal Wiki for details)[Wrenwil wish to claim]
- Flask of Alchemists Fire (In Belt Pouch)[Wrenwil wish to claim]
- Vial of Acid (In Belt Pouch)[Wrenwil wish to claim]
- Sunrod (In belt Sheath)[Wrenwil wish to claim]
- Tindertwig (In Sack)
- Scrollcase (Contains five sheets of parchment, a Vial of Ink and an Inkpen)[Wrenwil wish to claim]
- Waterskin
- Two days rations (In Sack)
- Whetstone (In Sack)[Kryslogious wish to claim]

Last edited:

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Svexyn, Folg and Mogan

Svexyn:

Listening to the options, the pigeon seems like something Mogan and Folg might enjoy. "Three orders of the Rock Pigeon, to go. As for the drinks, a small keg of house ale is good enough. Have to keep my wits about me. I'll take them when Drasus and I are finished, and I have had time to get some gear."

He then moves closer to the merchants, pulling out the parchment that the half-orc carried. "The names Svexyn. Hope the half-orc wasn't one of your guards. Seems he had a contract with the Masoud Trading Company. Looks like he might not be able to fulfill it now." He shows them the parchment with the contract written on it, as proof, as this place didn't seem like the one that trusts easily.

"Know where I can find who he worked for. Might as well let them know what to expect. Plus, seems as though me any my two helpers will be camping outside as well. Anything we should know about what to look out for in these parts? I don't fancy ending up like the half-orc. What did he do anyways, to end up on the wrong end of Drasus's weapon?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Hillsy7

First Post
Burrai sighed. He'd let his impatience spill over. In a few words, Rol had transformed from bluster and indignation, puffed up like a gull in heat, to something small, hard and scared. Burrai had achieved what he'd wanted, but Rol had paid that price. The younger dwarf sat compliant, staring at his hands. Thankfully Elloral was there. Burrai reminded himself that Rol hadn't asked for this; he wasn't some mercenary mewling like a pup because he was ordered to do something he personally disagreed with.

Elloral spoke to Rol, and Burrai was surprised how much she said felt as though it was teased from the grinding machinery of his own thoughts, as though she'd peered into his thoughts and deduced what was being formed. They stood ready to leave, and Burrai slid a few coins onto the table.

"Buy a big meal, and take your time to eat. At a corner table if you can. Few people take notice of a dwarf concentrating on their food. We'll send word within the hour." and with that he followed Elloral out into the grey, washed out noonday streets. Little had changed. It was as though the Tower poured a physical weight over Cabarda like a great invisible blanket. People scurried, bent backed and fearful, in every direction with only cursory acknowledgement of others. Burrai stood two paces from the inn door and felt something similar, but this emanated from the book at Elloral's hip. ~You're imagining things Burrai~ he said to himself, and yet the feeling persisted - like a foul heat leeching into his bones after days out in the rain.

"Burrai?" Elloral asked. He glanced at here. She didn't look concerned, one eyebrow arched lazily. She was just poking him into action, cajoling; very few things about dwarves changed with time.

"He'll be fine." He said to Elloral, striking out into the thin crowds on the street. "If nothing else his worry will keep his mind sharp until we get back. There's not enough time for him to get complacent." Elloral smiled, but said nothing. Did she assume the words were for Burrai's benefit rather than her's? He wasn't entirely sure they weren't.

After parting ways with Elloral Drehd's Devils appeared around the corned like an old friend returning to town after a too long absence. Burrai recognised it immediately, and yet there was no immediate emotional reaction, just an absence inside. The bluff brickwork piled around straight heavy wooden supports looked both functional and intentional, as though someone had halted the construction just before any cosmetic touches could be added - exactly the place where necessary deeds were done without the veneer of morals or law. Slowly the old familiarity came back and with it the sense of apprehension he always felt here. He'd always come here at a beginning, and there was always the chance that might turn into the great tale he'd sought. And now was no different.

~It can't be more than a year and a day since I was last here~ he thought. Then he shrugged. None of this introspection was helping, there was work to do. And with a deep breath he was Burrai Steelborn - a dwarf who'd walked in and out of these doors with tales of great deeds at his heels and more waiting in the future. Today was no different.....

Dungeon Master said:
One of the younger mercenaries looks a little shocked when he opens it. Inside are four other mercenaries eating lunch in the hall.
Mercenary:

"...Mr. Steelborn?"

"Good to see I haven't been completely forgotten," he said stomping in through the doorway and moving the young mercenary aside through presence alone. The four at the table turn to look and Burrai gives them a casual salute, one arm across the chest. "I need to speak to Kadar. I've got some business to discuss with him. And for the mountain's sake close the door and stop gaping. We don't want every rat in town to wander inside...."

Last edited by a moderator:

narayan

Explorer
Avar, Billanverthorne, Jabbar

To Jabbar, In Dwarven: "Of course I do, I'm an Elf of many talents." Bill smiles at Avar as he says this.

To Jabbar, In Common: "A word of advice... don't be so sure of Kadar's loyalties; allegiances shift in the mercenary business. There are very few of US, that is, very few who value honor, loyalty, friendship, and courage above money. So, I'm to be the scout? I'm in. What do I need to do? How should I signal you, if at all? Or am I just to pretend to be part of the background? Let me know what you want me to do, and I will do it. If there's one thing I'm good at, it's this sort of thing. I won't let you down."

Jabbar: "We'll keep it simple. Just go in there and buy a drink, take a quick look around. If possible sit close enough to Burrai so you can eavesdrop on his conversation. Fifteen minutes tops, then leave and tell us what you found out."

"The gates will remain shut until morning so we'll have to use another way into town. There's an old network of caves in the northern hill that evil humanoids used to dwell in. They sealed them off when they built the wall but smugglers like myself dug their way back in. We can use them to go under the wall and get back in town."

He leans forward for emphasis. "I'm not the only one who's used these caves. Over the years I've found other smugglers inside, and sometimes worse. We'll have to be on our guard. Anyone using the caves knows its a death sentence if they are caught."

"Will leaving Khaleds camp be a problem for you Billanverthorne? Do you need him to make introductions to Jarahdrin?"

narayan

Explorer
Alic, Bax, Kryslogious, Malic, Ordechai, Wrenwil

Ordechai: Takes the vial from Kryslogious, takes a sniff and gestures back to the Vul. "Vul have the ability to see scents from the air, especially blood. Day or night doesn't matter. It's part of what makes them such excellent hunters. All this..." He gestures to the blood splatter on the sands. "...Is something they can find, regardless of what we do with its body."

"It is said Vul favor Keu above all other prey, except perhaps dragons. That's what lured it so far from its territory. This one was only a hunter, easier to kill than a Vulkyrie. That was good for us. It's still a Vul though which means the Vulkyrie will investigate its disappearance. That's bad for us." He gestures to the other camp.

"You see, they're already in a panic, packing their tents, eager to flee in the middle of the night. They know the Vulkyrie will kill anyone near this place. Some of them may turn about and go south, avoiding Vulkh altogether. That would be good for us. Some may press on, hoping to avoid scrutiny before the Vul find a trace of their missing hunter. Anyone of those witnesses who ends up in Vulkh will be bad for us. They know our names and our descriptions. It only takes one of them speaking about this to a Vulfear informant..."

Malic: Interjects. "What are you saying? What would you have us do?" He asks with a furrowed brow.

Ordechai: "I'm saying things have changed! Whatever I have to say about the black network is a moot point if the Vul come for our heads. I'll take the odds of survival from a trial in Barossa any day over that!"

Malic: "Its just bad luck. My son and I will hope for the best and carry on with our mission. Nothing needs to change until it needs to change."

Ordechai: Shakes his head. "Sometimes I wonder why they call me a mule when full-blooded dwarves are stubborn as an ass!"

-Responds to Wrenwil's offering- "I want nothing to do with that dead creature. In fact I'm rather confused why you feel it deserves our respects? It wasn't traveling with us, it wasn't known to any of us. Why should we mourn its passing? I don't blame you for trying to save its life, but its fate was sealed the moment the Vul wounded it." He gestures to the bone vial Kryslogious handed him. "This is Wyvern poison. Very deadly! If it had taken the time to reapply more to its spear Kryslogious may have also died!"

Malic: Nods. "That may be so, but so what? Kryslogious is a fighter, as are my son and I. We face our foes bravely, as all fighters do. We are also men of faith! We accept our fate and don't speak of murdering innocent bystanders!"

Ordechai: "There's an old saying about dwarves. Even when dishonor keeps them alive, they choose honor."

Malic: Snorts. "You didn't complain when the honorable thing was preventing Garrisan from seeing you tortured and killed. Don't start now."

[Kryslogious, Wrenwill: What do you do?]

Last edited:

narayan

Explorer
Svexyn

Svexyn:

Listening to the options, the pigeon seems like something Mogan and Folg might enjoy. "Three orders of the Rock Pigeon, to go. As for the drinks, a bottle of house ale is good enough. Have to keep my wits about me. I'll take them when Drasus and I are finished, and I have had time to get some gear."

Tylia: "Ok three meals and one small keg of house ale to go." She acknowledges. "That'll be 13 silver pieces." She states before moving on.

Svexyn:He then moves closer to the merchants, pulling out the parchment that the half-orc carried. "The names Svexyn. Hope the half-orc wasn't one of your guards. Seems he had a contract with the Masoud Trading Company. Looks like he might not be able to fulfill it now." He shows them the parchment with the contract written on it, as proof, as this place didn't seem like the one that trusts easily.

"Know where I can find who he worked for. Might as well let them know what to expect. Plus, seems as though me any my two helpers will be camping outside as well. Anything we should know about what to look out for in these parts? I don't fancy ending up like the half-orc. What did he do anyways, to end up on the wrong end of Drasus's weapon?"

The merchants pause in their conversation at your interruption. Two are Maharathan and one is Akhenaten. The Maharathans appear quite annoyed, even angered at your forwardness.

Maharathan Merchant 1: "Move away!"

Maharathan Merchant 2: "You must be as foolish as he was to ask such questions!"

The Akhenaten merchant however holds up his hand to signal patience.

Akhenaten Merchant: -Answers in a low voice- "It is only out of respect for the half orcs loyalty that I'll say anything. The half orc was not one of our guards. He showed up here earlier, asking questions about an attack on a Masoud Trade Company caravan outside of Tabba a few days ago. He gave the impression the merchant who employed him was taken captive. He also implied he tracked the bandits responsible back to this area."

Maharathan Merchant 1: Hisses. "Are you mad!"

Akhenaten Merchant: Glares at the Maharathan merchant. "Merchants should look out for each other out here!"

Maharathan Merchant 2: Snorts. "Don't be naive. Get each other killed if you must but leave us out of it!" He says standing up from the table with his friend to move over to another table.

[Svexyn: What do you do?]

Ersun

“You do not say…” He replies after catching his breath for a few moments. “You are not exactly one to talk about betrayal hmm?” He remarks snidely with a wry grin as she did betray the trust he gave when she poisoned him, plus there is the thing about working for her father’s arch enemy.

Before she could collect herself to reply he continues. “Go rest and arrange what you have to. Let’s meet a half hour before we have to leave to the meeting point at the Worm in the Bottle.”

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Tylia: "Ok three meals and one small keg of house ale to go." She acknowledges. "That'll be 13 silver pieces." She states before moving on.

Svexyn:
"Keep the extra silver.." he says, as he hands over 14 silver pieces. Sure, it was a little much, but after all, he did recently come into a little bit of money. The half-orc wouldn't know any better and can thank him later. Besides, who knew when his next meal would be his last, as this place just seems to exude with death hanging around every choice he makes.

Maharathan Merchant 2: Snorts. "Don't be naive. Get each other killed if you must but leave us out of it!" He says standing up from the table with his friend to move over to another table.

"I meant no disrespect, or harm. I was merely looking to inform the half-orcs employer that he ran into trouble. Although, it now seems they both did. As a gesture of no ill-intent, I would like to buy you three a round of Akhenaten Tejj, if you wouldn't mind the company while I wait. Is that agreeable?" Svexyn hopes that they prefer to sit back down without the fuss. Otherwise, he will sit with the lone merchant, if he decides to stay.

"My name is Svexyn. Been on the road for quite some time and some warm food and cold drink is a welcome change to the gritty taste of sand in everything. This place is a bit strange to me, so pardon my interruption earlier. Seems as though people die out here for any apparent reason. And no, I don't fancy that the next one is me, so I'll change the topic to something different."

Svexyn shifts in his seat, stretching his limbs as the drinks are brought. He pays for the rounds of drinks and takes a small sip before continuing. "I'm a traveler by nature. Odd jobs when they spring up, and not one to shy from hard work. You three look to know the sort, so maybe you can let me know who to look out for, who to avoid, and any dangers I should keep on the lookout for. I heard something earlier before nightfall out there in the dunes. Mogan thought he saw a dog or something, but larger. What kind of creatures do you have out here, and should I keep a fire going all night to ward them away?"

narayan

Explorer
Burrai

"Good to see I haven't been completely forgotten," he said stomping in through the doorway and moving the young mercenary aside through presence alone. The four at the table turn to look and Burrai gives them a casual salute, one arm across the chest. "I need to speak to Kadar. I've got some business to discuss with him. And for the mountain's sake close the door and stop gaping. We don't want every rat in town to wander inside...."

The great hall of Drehd's Devils has thick floorboards, high-arched heavy wooden rafters and wooden posts along the walls. It has dimensions of fifteen by fifty feet with a stone hearth at one end. The table seats ten, eight on a side with one seat at each end. There are three other doors, one leading into the training yard, one to the armory and one to the commanders office.

There is little in the way of decoration here except for a painting of Omar above the hearth beside his sword and shield. His famous red-enameled half-plate armor is displayed on a stand to one side of the hearth. The other side of the hearth has three kegs of drink. One ale, one water, one wine. Above the kegs is a large map with Icons marking significant battles in the area during the companies sixteen year history. There is also a legend listing which enemies were encountered at which battles.

Regional%20Map%20of%20Cabarda%20Notated%202.png~original

MAP LEGEND____________________________________________

1st Year
1 - Gnolls - 'BloodClaw Tribe' (Battle: Lost 6, Killed 8; Retreated)
2 - Orcs - 'BlackSkull Tribe' (Skirmish: Lost 3, Killed 4; Won)
3 - Orcs - 'BlackSkull Tribe' (Battle: Lost 8, Killed 12; Won - Defeated Enemy)

2nd Year
4 - Orcs - 'HelmSplitter Tribe' (Battle: Lost 5, Killed 7; Won)
5 - Orcs - 'HelmSplitter Tribe' (Skirmish: Lost 3, Killed 4; Won)
6 - Orcs - 'HelmSplitter Tribe' (Battle: Lost 2, Killed 6; Won - Defeated Enemy)
7 - Gnolls - 'BloodClaw Tribe' (Battle: Lost 5, Killed 3; Retreated)

3rd Year
8 - Gnolls - 'BloodClaw Tribe' (Battle: Lost 11, Killed 4; Won - Defeated Enemy)

4th Year
9 - Hobgoblins - 'Three Skulls Warband' (Skirmish: Lost 3, Killed 3; Retreated)
10 - Hobgoblins - 'Three Skulls Warband' (Skirmish: Lost 6, Killed 4; Retreated)

5th Year
11 - Hobgoblins - 'Three Skulls Warband' (Skirmish: Lost 3, Killed 3; Retreated)
12 - Hobgoblins - 'Three Skulls Warband' (Battle: Lost 13, Killed 12; Retreated)

6th Year
13 - Bandits - 'Princes of Gahi' (Skirmish: Lost 3, Killed 3; Won)
14 - Bandits - 'Princes of Gahi' (Battle: Lost 4, Killed 4; Retreated)
15 - Bandits - 'Princes of Gahi' (Battle: Lost 3, Killed 6; Won - Defeated Enemy)

7th Year
16 - Kobolds - 'SevenSpear Tribe' (Skirmish: Lost 3, Killed 22; Won)
17 - Kobolds - 'SevenSpear Tribe' (Battle: Lost 7, Killed 33; Won)

8th Year
18 - Kobolds - 'SevenSpear Tribe' (Battle: Lost 8, Killed 23; Won - Defeated Enemy)
19 - Bandits - 'The Black Hand' (Skirmish: Lost 8, Killed 4; Defeated)
20 - Bandits - 'The Black Hand' (Skirmish: Lost 5, Killed 5; Won)

9th Year
21 - Bandits - 'The Black Hand' (Skirmish: Lost 4, Killed 3; Won)
22 - Bandits - 'The Black Hand' (Battle: Lost 8, Killed 12; Retreated)

10th Year
23 - Bandits - 'The Black Hand' (Battle: Lost 12, Killed 9; Retreated)
24 - Hobgoblins - 'ThreeSkulls Warband' (Skirmish: Lost 3, Killed 1; Won)

11th year
25 - Hobgoblins - 'Three Skulls Warband' (Skirmish: Lost 3, Killed 2; Won)
26 - Hobgoblins - 'Three Skulls Warband' (Skirmish: Lost 3, Killed 1; Retreated)
27 - Hobgoblins - 'Three Skulls Warband' (Skirmish: Lost 8, Killed 5; Defeated)

12th Year
28 - Bandits - 'The Silver Arrows' (Skirmish: Lost 3, Killed 3; Won)

13th Year
29 - Bandits - 'The Silver Arrows' (Skirmish: Lost 4, Killed 5; Won)
30 - Bandits - 'The Silver Arrows' (Skirmish: Lost 3, Killed 4; Won)

14th Year
31- Bandits - 'The Silver Arrows' (Battle: Lost 5, Killed 8; Won)
32 - Bandits - 'The Silver Arrows' (Battle: Lost 3, Killed 9; Won - Defeated Enemy)
33 - Bandits - 'The Bold Bandits' (Skirmish: Lost 3, Killed 3; Won)
34 - Bandits - 'The Bold Bandits' (Skirmish: Lost 4, Killed 5; Won)

15th Year
35 - Bandits - 'The Bold Bandits' (Skirmish: Lost 3, Killed 7; Won)
36 - Bandits - 'The Bold Bandits' (Skirmish: Lost 2, Killed 8; Won - Defeated Enemy)

You recognize one of the mercenaries at the table to be Uthal, an older akhenaten fighter and one of the first mercenaries recruited by Omar. Uthal held the rank of Captain under Omar, yet was demoted to the rank of sergeant by Kadar who favored his personal friend Jul to be Captain when he assumed command. Uthal stands and slams a gauntlet on the table, dressed as always in his familiar banded mail. Uthal is in his early fifties, mostly bald with a wiry grey beard. He's not handsome by any stretch but his laugh is likable enough and his sense of humor grows on you... eventually.

Uthal: Stares and Burrai and exclaims "Damnit! How am I supposed to eat with such an ugly dwarf in the room? My gag reflex can barely stand it!"

The other three mercenaries gape with horror, white-knuckling their knives and forks fully expecting the famed dwarf to charge into their table with his waraxe raised high!

[Burrai: What do you do?]

Last edited:

Remove ads